PDA

View Full Version : Advice on setting up a Hijet S83P dump truck

antfarmer
04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Hello
On April 6, 2011 I bought a Daihatsu Hijet 1992 S83P dump truck.

Photos:
http://www.antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/DaihatsuDumpMinitruckArrives4-6-11/index.html

I'd like to find someone who has a similar truck with a hydraulic dump bed. My truck has standard wheels, no bumpers or hitches. I would like some advise on selecting the most successful front and rear hitch receivers with bumpers, the proper lift kit, and appropriate wheels to accept ATV type tires. I have some 25 inch used ATV tires thrown into the bargain but I'm not quite sure if they are too tall to use. I'm concerned that some of the hitch/bumper accessories might interfere with the dump bed travel, and possibly some of them might be too flimsy to last long. Any advise to a newcomer is welcome. I've searched a bit in the posts, but I really want to find someone who has a truck that is very close to mine, especially the dump bed, so I don't make any mistakes in ordering parts. Eventually I think I'd like to get a snow plow and winch and I haven't quite figured out how the winches are mounted, short of the ones that fit in a front receiver.
thanks

TRAX and HORNS
04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I have had a couple of S83P dump trucks in the past. If I was going to lift it I would go with a standard lift kit 1 1/2" tall. Add 23x8x12 mud grips. I prefer the
AMS Swamp Fox 6ply. Sweet &Simple is best. These are great little trucks. Take care of it and they run forever. Run some Sea Foam in the fuel. Did it come with rear diff. lock?

kegoangoango
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Hello
On April 6, 2011 I bought a Daihatsu Hijet 1992 S83P dump truck.

Photos:
http://www.antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/DaihatsuDumpMinitruckArrives4-6-11/index.html

I don't have a dump, but I do have some advice. If you're going to ATV tires *don't* go with the standard ones - make sure get tires that have high enough weight rating. Standard ATV tires are around 150lbs - way too low for these trucks (I found out the hard way).

Also, before you lift replace your front springs with the 250#ers. You'll find info on these springs in several posts here.

Good luck.

antfarmer
04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I have only had it for a day and only drove it for about 5 minutes. The previous owner had it 9 months and did not use it much (he bought it for his wife but she did not like it because it was a stick shift). So I did not get much information from the previous owner. He put some used ATV tires in the back but they are AT25X10X12 and AT25X8X12 which I think might be too tall. I have not seen anything like an owners manual and I'm hoping on Saturday I can puzzle out more of the mysteries. I had been looking for a used Kawasaki mule or something like that when a friend told me that for my small farm and my needs, the minitruck was a better option, and he even found the craigslist ad for the Hijet I bought. There is only a bit of pitting and surface rust on the bed and only a few dots of rust here and there, except for the flat metal pan over the engine, which has some surface rust.
I'll have to figure out what Sea Foam is, since this is the first time I've heard of it.
I am soliciting opinions on the tires, since I have no experience with them yet. My situation is that I have 29 acres, about 11 of them wooded and 12 hay field and a bit of meadow. Rolling hills. One seasonal creek that I must cross to get to the wood lot, and it is muddy in the springtime, and if I use the old Ford tractor with a trailer I'm likely to get stuck there. I have a lot of little stumps of box elders sawed off about 4 inches high that I have to ride over. So I'm just guessing that the narrow road tires will probably not be that great on the softer or wetter places. Any advice on a general purpose tire is welcome.
As to the rear differential lock, I don't know and I'll have to figure out how to distinguish this.
The electric pump for the hydraulic dump lift looks very new and the bed seems to move very well. I have not lifted a load in it yet.
Are the 250 pound springs something that a beginner could do himself? The closest experience I've had was with a volkswagon 1975 rabbit I think... used some woodshop pony clamps to compress the springs and hoped they wouldn't explode into my eyeballs.
I would not mind having someone else do the work but I don't have a suitable trailer and the minitruck is a bit more than I want to pull with a minivan 30 miles to the nearest place that might do that kind of work (Badgerland in Verona I think).
I noticed the used ATV tires I was given had 10 inch wide ones for the back and 8 inch wide ones for the front. Would you recommend putting the 23x8x12 on front and back?
Would this require new rims? The existing street tires say 155/80R12 77T M+S. The "swamp fox" tires you recommend would fit on my existing rims?
Also, if you have any insights about a rear bumper/hitch receiver and how it might affect the 2 way tailgate, I'd be interested in knowing.
Okay thanks for the input so far... I'll look up the swamp fox tires and sea foam.
Here are some photos with the dump bed raised up, the day I drove up to inspect the truck before purchase:

http://www.antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/Minitruck4-3-11/index.html

D'Animal
04-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Those do not look like 25" tire in the photos. I run 23" Baja Bear Claws on my rig with no lift. Since it is a ranch rig, we really load it down.

rst277
04-09-2011, 06:46 AM
The front springs are totally doable without a spring compressor. Search this site for more info. I got 1.5" - 2" lift in the front with the new springs. I put some helper springs over the new rear shocks and got about 1.5" of lift in the rear. Cheap and easy lift!!!! I run only street tires but I sure notice a difference in mileage and performance with wider tires. I'd go as narrow a tire as possible if I were you. Good luck, you're going to love that truck - why anyone would buy a UTV is incomprehensible!!!

antfarmer
04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Those do not look like 25" tire in the photos. I run 23" Baja Bear Claws on my rig with no lift. Since it is a ranch rig, we really load it down.

There were some 25 inch ATV tires in the bed of the truck that I was given, and have now given away. The ones on the vehicle are 155/80R12 77T M+S
normal road tires. I'll drive around some more this weekend and see how they work around the farm.

antfarmer
04-10-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/SorenKemalMiniDriverOfMiniTruck4-9-11/index.html
http://www.antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/MinitruckMaidenVoyage4-9-11/index.html

Drove around for a while over the hayfields, down to the pond, out to the woods. Worked pretty well. I hooked up the hose and jetted off all the mud from the previous owner. The rear shock absorbers don't look that great, so I have to figure out what to replace them with. I think the suspension could be beefed up a bit and there were some squeaks over the bumps. After being warmed up and driven around for a while, while idling the truck would shake a bit with some vibration. The engined didn't to my ears sound too rough, but maybe I'll try to locate the sea foam stuff, if I can figure out where to add it.

TRAX and HORNS
04-11-2011, 04:54 AM
There will be a idle screw on the radiator side of carb. Turn it clockwise and you will raise the idle. That should get rid of the rough idle. Yea, I would run some sea foam through it.
Once in a blue moon the rubber motor mounts will crack which makes the motor shake. Might want to look at those.
Yes, the 6 ply 23x8x12 swamp fox will fit on your rims. Two types of swamp fox.
Standard swamp fox and the swamp fox plus. Stay with the standard swamp fox. The swamp fox plus are to aggressive.

antfarmer
04-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Stay with the standard swamp fox. The swamp fox plus are to aggressive.

I have quite a bit of 'lawn' around the farm and I'll be driving on that quite a bit. When I look at the tread on the swamp fox tire photos, it makes me wonder if they might tear up the grass a bit. Is there a compromise tire that works okay in the fields but doesn't damage the grass? Or do you think the swamp fox will be okay on grass?

TRAX and HORNS
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Truck is 1400lbs +-. Thats 350 lbs per tire. Which is not much. I think you will be ok as long as you dont hot rod around on the grass. Otherwise you might want a closer smaller bite tire, like a turf tire. Dont go any wider than a 8" tire unless you space out the tire. These truck make a very small footprint.

antfarmer
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Truck is 1400lbs +-. Thats 350 lbs per tire. Which is not much. I think you will be ok as long as you dont hot rod around on the grass. Otherwise you might want a closer smaller bite tire, like a turf tire. Dont go any wider than a 8" tire unless you space out the tire. These truck make a very small footprint.

I noticed that "badgerland" sells and recommends "SG Diamond Back All Terrain". That appears to have an intermediate tread pattern.

Acerguy
04-11-2011, 07:14 PM
The Carlisle All-Trail is probably another good all-purpose choice. I run those on the front of my tractor that I use for mowing and they definitely are easy on turf. They will load up on mud somewhat though. Folks have put them on the stock rim and they have a good weight rating.

Check out the link in my signature for my truck. I put on ag tires for running around my property (NOT on the stock rims but, again, people have done it). I was worried about having too aggressive of a tread but it really hasn't proven to be a problem that I can tell either in my orchard, grass trails, or the woods. Like Terry said, these vehicles are fairly light.

Oh, and welcome to the club! :) Another Cheesehead?

antfarmer
04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I've looked at the youtube video by Sea Foam there they pour it into the carb, crankcase, gas tank, etc., and I've seen several comments here about using Sea Foam, and I've asked at the auto supply store where I bought the 16 oz can. I'm a little confused about the safest way to use the Sea Foam. I've read some comments to just stick with adding it in the gas tank.
When I got the truck the tank was almost empty and I've put in about 6 gallons into what I guess is a 9 gallon tank. Should I dump in the whole bottle or half? Should I try to squirt it into vacuum lines or the carb? The engine seems to run fairly well but the idle goes up and down a bit when warm.

TRAX and HORNS
04-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Every truck I bring into inventory gets 8 oz. in the fuel tank. While up on the rack doing a inspection. I remove the fuel line off the fuel tank and suck about 2 to 3 oz. of sea foam direct into the carb. When I feel that the float bowl is full I shut down the engine for about 30 -45 min., then crank it up having added new fuel into the fuel tank.
Just yesterday I had a truck that had 1/4 tank of old fuel. It would run for 1-2 min. then stop. I took off the fuel cap and smelled like a old sock. Did the sea foam trick and drain old fuel, add new fuel. Truck runs great
And yes, you can run it through the vacuum line off the brake booster direct to engine and it will clean up the top end. If you do that bring it up to temp. for a couple of min. them shut it down and drain oil and let her eat.
And yes, you can disconnect a vacuum line coming off the intake manifold and get the same results.
Read the back of the can and follow directions.
Two or three trucks out of ten will have to have a rebuild on the carb. But I always try the sea foam first. Saves a lot of time & money.
I would keep a can and add 8oz. every 4 or 5 fill ups.
Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

antfarmer
04-19-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.antfarmjournal.com/AF-Journal/MinitruckFirstWoodHauling4-17-11/mediafiles/l7.jpg
Moved a few loads of fire wood from the wood lot on Sunday.
I need to figure out a way to modify the tailgate. When the upper hinge is opened to function as a standard
tail gate, it falls off when dumping because the lower hinge automatically opens as the bed rises.
If left locked so that it hinges from the top, the wood doesn't dump
out well. Anyone else have to deal with this issue?