PDA

View Full Version : Kei class are legal in SOME states

comprodigy
10-14-2007, 10:57 PM
The kei class Japanese mini-truck is legal in at least three states that I know of.

Mississippi, Although you have to go through some red tape....

Tenn, heard they passed new regulations, check with local DMV

Kentucky, MUST be registered as a ATV, then can be licensed as atv for LIMITED ON ROAD USE ONLY!

A VERY FEW other states will let you license a 1980 or older kei class, check with local DMV

NOTICE: I AM NOT AN EXPERT!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND THROUGH A LOT OF DIGGING!!!:eek:

This is all legal from ones I have talked to in respective states.:confused:

Wolfman
10-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Texas is on that list as well, with the same red tape work. There are two trucks registered that I'm aware of.

comprodigy
10-15-2007, 08:03 AM
i am a Canadian importer that will be shipping a Suzuki carry to my mother who lives in Wyoming. And it will be street legal! The headlight, tires and side marker lights are all DOT. It will be a street legal truck. I spent a lot of time doing the research and will be braking no laws.

This may cost more though.....:rolleyes:

Might be worth looking in to.:)

AS ALL WAYS, CHECK WITH LOCAL DMV!!

abcminitrucks
10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
Here we go again, Just becuase you get a tag for it...does not make it street legal....well it does, but only until the Federal Govt. decides to step in and stop it. Which means we will all suffer.....

There is no State in the US that that has the authority to override Federal Law and it is Federal Law that makes these trucks for OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

jay woods
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Just for what it is worth I called the DMV today here in tennessee, they knew exactly what I was talking about. They said NO, you can not get a title or registration in tennessee. Case closed.

comprodigy
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM
OOPS!! my bad. I had bad info on tenn. I went to the dmv here in KY to register one as a atv, well two week ago they did away with that!! I had them call the main office in Frankfort, they are currently looking in to making a law so you can license these mini trucks as autos. No word yay or nay yet.

For those of us how want to transport a truck over the road LEGALLY and easyly, take a look at this E-bay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=160167141227 I think I can make one of these for $50 max. I will try and see.

comprodigy
10-15-2007, 08:44 PM
PS this is why I said check with DMV, they are the kings of the road who tell you what you can and can't do.

Minnesotamini
10-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Minnesota allows these trucks to be licensed for off road use only. They are licensed as a Class 2 ATV. They can only be driven on the shoulder of the roadway (Not in the ditch or on the roadway or on the interstate shoulder) They can be driven on your city street to get to and from, if your city allows it. Mine does allow me to get to the compost site and back home. You need to check with your city ordinance. You do not get a title for your truck when you register it.

Caleb Roth
10-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I am in Tennessee, I had just enough time to get excited before reading TN was a mistake. LOL Hopefully this will all change oneday...

Tomtsled
11-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I developed an interest in these vehicles while looking for right side drive vehicles for an impending job with the post office as a rural mail carrier. I found this site and saw the debate as to whether you can legally register these vehicles for street use. I did a little research on federal law versus state law and who tops who if they conflict, and this is what I found...

The Supremacy Clause and Federal Preemption
State Law versus Federal- Which rules?

[THE SUPREMACY CLAUSE Article. VI. This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.]

Any federal law does trump any conflicting state law
The Supremacy Clause in the Constitution explains that federal law always trumps state law which means federal always wins if there is a conflict between the two. If there is no conflict then the state law will be used but if there is any question or conflict of the two reading as the same, then the federal rule would win.

According to FindLaw, State courts are bound then to give effect to federal law when it is applicable and to disregard state law when there is a conflict; federal law includes, of course, not only the Constitution and congressional enactments and treaties but as well the interpretations of their meanings by the United States Supreme Court. While States need not specially create courts competent to hear federal claims or necessarily to give courts authority specially, it violates the supremacy clause for a state court to refuse to hear a category of federal claims when the court entertains state law actions of a similar nature.

According to LectLaw, Under the Supremacy Clause, everyone must follow federal law in the face of conflicting state law. It has long been established that "a state statute is void to the extent that it actually conflicts with a valid federal statute" and that a conflict will be found either where compliance with both federal and state law is impossible or where the state law stands as an obstacle to the accomplishment and execution of the full purposes and objectives of Congress. Edgar v. Mite Corp., 457 U.S. 624, 631 (1982). Similarly, we have held that "otherwise valid state laws or court orders cannot stand in the way of a federal court's remedial scheme if the action is essential to enforce the scheme."

So I'll be looking for another alternative for a right side drive vehicle.

Acerguy
11-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Good post, thanks. It is a shame since there obviously exists a legitimate need for kei trucks specifically and, indeed, this whole class of vehicles. Assuming that small, kei-type cars and trucks with sub-1 liter engines could be made to pass current car emission standards (which they should) would we have chaos on the streets if they were legal here? I don't know. But it seems to me that there is opportunity here. In my opinion, you could have an American verison of the KEI regulations....max engine size, dimensions, max speed limited to 60mph, not allowed on interstate highways, pass emissions, some sort of modified crash standards, etc, and fill an obvious demand. I would think it would be self-regulating in the sense that using a kei-type vehicle as a daily driver is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Look at the small vehicles that are available today and you still see mostly large cars and trucks on the street.

And let's not even get into the whole "state's rights" issue!

Anyhow, thanks again for posting this information.

abcminitrucks
11-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I been saying this all along, without all the legal jargon.

minidump
11-11-2007, 05:59 PM
if you desire to drive a kei truck from japan on the road with insurance its really quite simple.... move to BC canada where you can insure anything you can prod onto the road...

Acerguy
11-11-2007, 08:20 PM
:p :D Tempting..tempting....I've been there a couple of times and it sure is purdy!

abcminitrucks
11-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Aceryguy,

It's not usually the laws that are the problem...it's enforcing them. There are 100s of laws on the books right now, that are vague and ambigious, and thus unenforcable. If these trucks were made street legal they would have to be used just as all the other vehicles on the roads, if you try to write laws specifically for the Kei truck then it would be a nightmare for the court system.

Acerguy
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I know. I'm just dreamin'!

Wolfman
11-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Aceryguy,

If these trucks were made street legal they would have to be used just as all the other vehicles on the roads, if you try to write laws specifically for the Kei truck then it would be a nightmare for the court system.

I fail to see what the problem is with this. Texas for example, requires that the vehicles pass the safety (and emissions where applicable) tests, have insurance, and undergo a VIN inspection - in this case using the chassis number as a VIN. This law is the same for regular cars. Getting the EPA on board, would simply open the market for the builders to once again ship LHD versions of these trucks here, only this time with the proper EPA certs for on highway use. If the EPA would do this, I would happily let my RHD truck go in favor of a "legal" truck. This certainly doesn't prevent people from modding these trucks for off highway only applications. You see plenty of Jeeps, Unimogs, Samurais, Toyotas, Chevys, etc. modded to off road use only levels, and trailered to their destinations.

akswinehart
11-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Well let me throw in another hornets nest. Look at these, they are chinese :( and they are STREET LEGAL according to the website, best I can figure because they are 3 wheel they are classified as a motorcycle and do not have to meet safety standards.. sell new for $5500 and they are already in the USA. so look out, here comes china

http://www.wildfiremotors.com/images/Car%20and%20Truck%20Pics/bob-truck.bmp

see them here

http://www.wildfiremotors.com/mall/NEW%20truck%20and%20car%20retail.htm

250cc, hmmm

akswinehart
11-16-2007, 03:59 PM
P.s. I really like the cows in the pic that were not originally there.... hehehe

what does everyone think?

kmoneil
11-16-2007, 04:01 PM
haha yeah the cows look funny! I don't care for the one wheel up front.

minidump
11-16-2007, 04:02 PM
nee. i dont like it send it back to china.

akswinehart
11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I agree, I'm sure its crap, but I can't believe its street legal!!! what happens if you take a turn to fast? i had a 3 wheeler atv growing up and always flipped it...

Wolfman
11-16-2007, 05:34 PM
check out the nice dent above the windshield. :D Body damage as standard equipment. :D

minidump
11-16-2007, 06:52 PM
the more i look at this photo the more i laugh. What, did the person decide that the photo needed something more? "Ill add some cows with photoshop., There, thats better!"

lolol

steve_nagoya
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
There must be a good reason why most ATV have 4 wheels. I'd be awfully unsure of its stability in mildly rough terrain. Imagine flipping over with a heavy load. At least you could probably pick one up with one hand...

steve_nagoya
11-16-2007, 08:08 PM
You can see that "vent" must be it's a/c...nice Chinese innovation.

Brian Shirley
11-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I have talked to Wildfire motors about how they are legal. They are classified a motorcycles.

d rock
11-18-2007, 10:54 AM
if you desire to drive a kei truck from japan on the road with insurance its really quite simple.... move to BC canada where you can insure anything you can prod onto the road...

whoa! while its true we can get the kei trucks on the roads up here BC is the toughest province of them all. just ask all the guys over on www.ivoac.ca about that!

NJ Plowman
11-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Anybody think I can squeeze it by New Jersey DMV? :confused:

steve_nagoya
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
This is interesting. If they are passing as motorcycles, yet have the same sized engine as a mini truck, perhaps mini trucks can be petitioned in the motorcycle category too. If I'm not mistaken, there are 4 wheel ATVs with licenses too (up to the state)?

Wolfman
11-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Anybody think I can squeeze it by New Jersey DMV? :confused:

All you can do is ask around. The worst they can say is no.

canoebuildah
11-22-2007, 04:09 PM
You can check to see if your state allows "Special Mobile Equipment" registration. Maine does offer it and I have been told by the State that they can be registered that way. I didn't mention it to person I spoke to but I know that it still will not be legal in the eyes of the EPA so your experience will vary.

stevert
12-08-2007, 03:27 PM
The Federal Government agency D.O.T. / NHSTA

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html

"A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used". :eek::eek::eek:

Anyone got a 1983 or earlier they want to sell ?!?!?!:o

On ebay I saw a 1980 model year that was "FEDERALLY LEGAL" to be driven ON ROAD. This prompted my research.

stevert
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Here we go again, Just becuase you get a tag for it...does not make it street legal....well it does, but only until the Federal Govt. decides to step in and stop it. Which means we will all suffer.....

There is no State in the US that that has the authority to override Federal Law and it is Federal Law that makes these trucks for OFF ROAD USE ONLY.

WRONG! Read above...

Acerguy
12-08-2007, 04:57 PM
This is not news and has been discussed on these forums before. Yes, if the truck (or any car) is 25 years or older they can, generally, be registered in the U.S. I posted a fun ebay auction of an old Sambar a while back that could (and was) legally registered. The problem is most of those older trucks are even smaller in size and have even smaller engines than the vast majority of the Kei class trucks being imported now. What abcminitrucks said is true...for vehicles that are younger than 25 years.

stevert
12-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Ummm Oh. Im new and had not taken the time to read all the replies other that this one. I was only responding to

"it is Federal Law that makes these trucks for OFF ROAD USE ONLY"

I did not see comment of 25+ years...

Besides, Can't a reman or newer motor be installed?

Wolfman
12-08-2007, 05:55 PM
My truck is plated and titled as an on road motor vehicle. I've stated before that this is what the state granted. By STATE statutes, my vehicle passed the required rules applicable for Texas to be registered. By EPA standards, I'm in violation of THEIR rules. So, if there are people who want to register them for on road use, they need to get with their state to see if they will allow it. Some will, most won't. If your state will allow them to be plated for on road use, then you do so, knowing full well that this is circumventing the feds - who I think are idiots for putting the rediculous restrictions in place. Now, I don't expect the feds to come knocking on my door to hold me at gunpoint while dragging my truck away, especially since it came here properly modified to pass customs. Anyone (myself included) who puts them on the roads in the U.S., assumes the responsibilities for any consequences of their actions - whatever they may be.

abcminitrucks
12-08-2007, 10:07 PM
WRONG! Read above...

Haw many 1983 or older RUNNING KEI trucks have you seen in the US?...I did not mention the 25 year old exception becuase it is rare.
But always great to hear from a rookie know it all. :frustration::frustration:

stevert
12-09-2007, 11:55 AM
What..... You think you know it all?????(BIG FISH, LITTLE POND SYNDROME) Thanks for the rookie comment in the negative connitation you imply You A$$! :mad: The info you didn't state that I happen to was becuase of you wrote the word "ONLY"! For new "ROOKIES" like myself looking for info in your little pond (THIS IS YOUR WORLD BOSS, I'M JUST TRY'N TO GET A NUT) of a forum, I felt it worthy to post accurate info as to state every possibility of legal ownership you chose not to mention (WHATS GOOD FOR BUSH IS GOOD FOR THE COUNTRY...WHATS GOOD FOR ABCMINITRUCK IS GOOD FOR ALL). Apperently you have issues with mini trucks on the road becuase it may hurt how you profit as you seem to state, despite what most on people do want.:sly: I wanted to state that 83 model year or older can be on the road for those ROOKIES that may have not known. The topic was not about the mechanical state or condition! Though, I would have no problem restoring that year model to new condition as I'm sure others would be willing to do. Just stating "UN BIAS" accurate FACTS so people who come to forums like this one have "ALL" the facts as trivial as you may think it is. Acerguy... rather then a welcome from you... I get a HEY YOU STUPID like comment in defense of you sand box buddy (THE WORLD ACCORDING TO ABCMINITRUCK) ABC "JOESPH STALIN" MINITRUCKS. Sorry to have wasted text and cluttering it with info you may already know!!!!! I didn't mean to mess up you forum here with info only ABCMINITRUCKS (POND SHARK) is qualified to post. Really dude..... You need to get a life.

abcminitrucks
12-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I am sure you will get what you are looking for with an attidude like that. No wonder the government officals would not listen to you.

namgreb
12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Hello to All who enjoy the info on this forum,

While I have not posted much of any info (as I am still waiting for my 14 trucks to hit my door and learn), I do enjoy all the help everyone offers. I have ready for what I believe to be every post in the forum. I'm not a lawyer....but I do know that there is nothing illegal about talking about attempting to change laws, clarify laws, or finding loopholes in laws in this country.
ABCMINITRUCKS, I understand your concern about saving your business and your fear that this little forum in the world wide web will change legislation to stop importing kei trucks. But please just chill out!!!! You have clearly made your point about not talking about law breaking. Let people discuss laws.

Discussing laws is not against the law!!!!!!

abcminitrucks
12-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Discussing how to break the law is illegal, and against the rules of this forum. Good luck with your new dealership.

kmoneil
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I think there's a lot of people that want these trucks legal, but when there's a federal law that prohibits them to be street legal in the USA, then we should all follow that law. We've been down this road in another thread and when we start to discuss this people start to get upset and it just doesn't create a forum that people want to be involved in.

So lets find another topic to talk about or I'll close this thread all so.

Thanks,

namgreb
12-10-2007, 05:29 PM
ABCMINITRUCK,

Just an FYI. I NEVER mentioned being a dealer nore do I plan on being one. I just bought 14 trucks with a few friends. Stop making assumptions about all of us.

abcminitrucks
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
(as I am still waiting for MY 14 trucks to hit my door and learn)

OK my bad, but I would think any reasonalble person would assume you were going to be a dealer, since you refer to all 14 trucks as yours. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

De-icer
12-10-2007, 07:55 PM
ABCMINITRUCK,

Just an FYI. I NEVER mentioned being a dealer nore do I plan on being one. I just bought 14 trucks with a few friends. Stop making assumptions about all of us.

If you've got 14 trucks coming in you should be a dealer, that's more stock than most anyone on here has.

IndianaJason
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
...........:D....good times, good times......;) ... I will have to give my 2 cents though... this has by far been the most enternaining and informative topic on this site......:D .. Happy Holidays !

hamradio
12-31-2007, 05:32 PM
So, can one for sure import a 25 year or older truck, and register it? Guys do it with a lot of other cars, it seems, that would not be epa certified in the us (like golfs and such).

steve_nagoya
12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
So, can one for sure import a 25 year or older truck, and register it? Guys do it with a lot of other cars, it seems, that would not be epa certified in the us (like golfs and such).

Yes you can import a 25 year old truck. We see them for sale here and some are in pretty decent shape.

Just be aware of the import regulations. We've got a client importing one and he's been told there are more steps to importing. Please consult an experienced customs broker for the proper steps.

hamradio
01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks!

another question, typically what are the 25+ yo trucks? 550's? all 2wd?

steve_nagoya
01-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks!

another question, typically what are the 25+ yo trucks? 550's? all 2wd?

Well, yes they are 550s but I've seen 2WD and 4WD. I've even seen older trucks with 360cc engines. Wow!

Mid America Mini Trucks
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Aint gonna happen!

EPA and Customs are dedicated on keeping these off the roads. Now a dealer must tell you in writing that it is for off road use only as well as putting a sticker on the truck. It must also have a specific shift restrictor plate that is welded in place to prevent the use of all but 1st & reverse gears. Dealers are now not suppose to give the purchaser the export certificate necessary to get a title.

Seem like our boys in the Government are fighting tooth and toenalil to keep these off the roads.

Wonder if they can explain why Cushman Trucksters, Motorcycles and some other vehicles are allowed on.

Would sure rather crash a Mini than a cushman!

fyneyoungstunna
01-08-2008, 01:19 AM
KIT car anyone?? the smart cars were imported as kit cars long before they were marketed in the us. i know here in colorado the mini trucks can be made legal... as far as other states.... but i think kentucky, georgia, texas, west virginia,montana,alabama,and kansas are likely to be able to be made street legal. oh and the 25yr clause applies to all imported "domestically street legal vehicles" HOWEVER, there are still a lot of hoops to jump through so you better know your stuff.

scesnick
01-08-2008, 06:17 AM
O.K. then here is a question for ya. "IF" ( and that is a big if ) you somehow manage to get a mini registered and tagged so it is street legal in oh, say West Virginia, could you then drive it in other states that DO NOT allow them to be tagged???

scesnick
01-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Discussing how to break the law is illegal, and against the rules of this forum. Good luck with your new dealership.

It might be against the rules here, but discussing how to break the law is certainly NOT illegal...

abcminitrucks
01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
It might be against the rules here, but discussing how to break the law is certainly NOT illegal...

Ok, so that means we can discuss on a public forum how to manufacture Crystal Meth. What's the difference? Ever heard of conspiracy?

abcminitrucks
01-08-2008, 07:58 AM
KIT car anyone?? the smart cars were imported as kit cars long before they were marketed in the us. i know here in colorado the mini trucks can be made legal... as far as other states.... but i think kentucky, georgia, texas, west virginia,montana,alabama,and kansas are likely to be able to be made street legal. oh and the 25yr clause applies to all imported "domestically street legal vehicles" HOWEVER, there are still a lot of hoops to jump through so you better know your stuff.

I know it is very difficult in Georgia to get these trucks registered, especially without a title or a US standard VIN. Plus they will not pass the emmision tests required by the state of Georgia.

fyneyoungstunna
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
O.K. then here is a question for ya. "IF" ( and that is a big if ) you somehow manage to get a mini registered and tagged so it is street legal in oh, say West Virginia, could you then drive it in other states that DO NOT allow them to be tagged???

thats a good question. ill look into that.
but you might run into something like we run into here in Colorado with our gun laws. You see, here in Colorado springs you can carry a gun on your person without a permit, as long as its out in plain site,its a state rule, but many counties don't yet recognize it(wait i think i may have said that backwards) it so a lot of people were getting into some trouble....Until they provided the proof and legal documents with this on it.

you might run into the same problem county to count... you see only on the highway does state legislation trump county when it comes to vehicles. so check with your county, then with your state.

but the best idea i have heard so far is to try to get the legislature to grandfather us in with the same provisions it does for the Smart cars, it doesn't take as long as one would think if you go about it right.

zbadboy
01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
ABC, have you tried to have an emissions test done? Mini's have a catalytic converter so I would think they would "blow" clean enough to pass a smog test.

Second, I find this discussion on legalities of road use interesting. Many say they are imported for off road use only therefore, it is illegal for a state to register them for on road use. Polaris Rangers, Yamaha Rhinos, Quads, Golf Carts etc... are not imported or manufactured for on road use either. The point is states have the discretion/authority (and many have) to authorize these vehicles for "limited road use" Case in point. Arizona allows Quads to be registered for "limited" use as long as they have the proper safety equipment installed i.e. rear view mirror, horn, blinkers, etc... So is Arizona in violation of Federal DOT laws? I don't think so. I think the confusion lies with licensing them for road use and licensing them for "limited" or "restricted" road use.

Another example, California. You have to have a "Green Sticker" for all off road vehicles. I can take a VW Bug engine, some steel pipe and bolt on four tires in my buddies garage call it a sand rail and take it to DMV and they will give me a green sticker as long as it has the required safty equipment. If I take a mini truck there, they will scratch there head and say you can't register it. Doesn't make sense to me.

I am not trying to open a can of worms here. However, I find it amazing that one can argue that licensing mini trucks for limited or restricted on road use is a violation of Federal Laws any more then licensing a Rhino, polaris, etc... The later were imported for off road use as well.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

myhijet
01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I find this topic interesting. the dealers are aware of the way the mini's may be used, just as the dealer selling the new viper or vette or other car knows it may exceed the speed limit. I drive my mini on public roads. I share them with atv's, feed trucks, tractors, under age drivers, and registered vehicles. I use mine in the capacity of farm utility vehicle. I should have an orange flag on it but i don't. When I get too the end of my public road, i am off road... checking cows, setting water, checking pivots, or loading it on a trailer as my way of moving vehicles around with one person. Someone local made the comment to the point of "i'm gonna use it like i want and am ready to argue with anyone that doesn't like it". I have farm utility vehicle insurance on my mini which has the same coverage as my cars and my parents 4 atv's. anyhow... thanks to the importers for their efforts, and if everything that was ever used illegally was totally outlawed, all we would have is

Wolfman
01-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Most (if not all states) recognize out of state plates as legal registration of a motor vehicle. Most states will also readily issue a title for a "grey market" vehicle, if they have a legal title from another state - U.S. vin or not. I've owned a grey market eurospec Mercedes 240D as well. It had no U.S. vin. As for ABC's claim that they will not pass emissions. This is false. The first minitruck to be registered for road use in Texas, was registered in Tarrant County - an emissions county. The truck passed, after the owner had a leaky exhaust pipe fixed. If one fails an emissions test, then there is likely some kind of problem with the truck that requires attention. Mine was the second one to be registered for on road use. We have no restrictions whatsoever as to what roads we may drive on. I've had mine on state and U.S. highways, as well as local interstates.

I know that ABC does not like the idea of these trucks getting used on road. However, the EPA cannot deny state soverengty. If a state decides to allow these trucks on the roads, there is little that the EPA can do about it, beyond threatening the states with the loss of highway repair funds.

jpfanne
01-09-2008, 02:23 AM
I've been in contact with a State Representative here in Missouri. He wants to buy a truck but his neighbor has one and has been ticketed twice for driving it on public roads. He told me that they do not meet the ATV laws in Missouri, (which requires a red flag and SMV triangle). So, the way the law is here, you can't drive them anywhere but off-roads. He is looking into getting legislation in Missouri changed so that they at least have specific rules for these trucks. They do not fall under normal vehicle rules, and they don't fall under ATV rules. He just wants to try and get some specific rules just for these trucks....what the outcome of that will be is still up in the air.

Jeff