1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Genius photo of the day

Discussion in 'Mini Lounge' started by spaner, Jan 5, 2012.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Some people's brains work differently then others, that's why we hang here.:D
    When I see photos like this, I giggle like a teen-aged girl, looking at prom dresses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 0-3.jpg
      0-3.jpg
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 0-2.jpg
      0-2.jpg
      File size:
      42.9 KB
      Views:
    • 0-1.jpg
      0-1.jpg
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Love the pneumatic tire chains...wonder how well that works

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Just like anything, I'd say perfect under some conditions, useless under others. I think that I would go with a dual sand/salt hopper myself, seeing how most people carry around bags of some kind of weight in their pickup boxes anyway.

I'm more interested in your answer to pic 3, that's why I put it up there, to get some feed back:D

4. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

1) Cool!
    2) Took me a moment to figure it out then - - Very Cool!
    3) Hmm...that's tricky (at least to me). Seems like a normal, random answer to a real question with 4 answer choices would be 25%. But there are two choices for 25%. So is it 50%? But then I started to think, what IS the question? It's not saying any question, it's saying THIS question. heh :D

5. fupabox

it's unanswerable because if it is 1 in 4 the answer is 25% but 25 % being listed twice makes it 50%....um...but 50% is still 1 of 4 so it's still 25%....so my answer is no frigging clue...therefore unanswerable:D

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Nope. It's 50%. You're making a classic mistake which is to look at the answers... remember it's RANDOM and if 2 of the answers are the same and there are 4 options you have a 2 in 4 chance of choosing the correct answer. The fact that the answers are also percentages has no bearing on the question being asked :D If you just remove the % from the end of the numbers (or just keep in mind that the answers don't matter except for if there are some that are the same) it's as easy as 3.14159265 [/nerd]

7. fupabox

but to randomly choose 50% you only have a 1 in 4 chance of doing so..that is only IF 50% is the correct answer...by choosing 50% you make 25% the answer and by choosing 25% you make 50% the answer...random is the key word...I believe this is a paradox...:)

I will set in play another mathematical paradox:D

3 men choose to stay in a motel overnight..the desk clerk says the room is $30 so each man hands over $10 and they go to the room....later the manager tells the clerk the room rate was only $25 and sends the clerk to return the $5 to the 3 men. The 3 men can't figure out how to divide the $5 so they each take $1 and give the other $2 to the clerk as a tip.......so...each man paid $9...multiplied by 3= $27...the clerk kept $2...where's the other $1 ?

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I thought that you guys might be getting bord:p
    I work with multiple choice questions all the time and just thought it was funny that someone took the time to put it on a board and then take a picture of it. This and questions like it are designed to elicit an emotional response. The greater the emotional response, the lower the overall score of the exam. The purpose of the question is to slow you down and get you to start second guessing every answer there after. Candidates are trained to recognise such questions and move on without answering. Only returning if time permits, at the end of an exam. Some can be answered with knowledge, some experience, some with wizdom, but all have an answer. A, B, C, D. You can only chose one.

20years ago, I was invited to take such an exam along with 750 other candidates, all trying for 150 program slots. All testing at the same time on the same floor, of the same building. 120 multiple choice questions on 24 one sided sheets. We were to bring nothing, and were only given a pencil, but were alowed to write on the blank sides to figure out the problems. I don't want to get too indepth but, I will never forget walking out of that exam 5hr later, seeing this one girl crying and screaming saying "How can you do logs without a calculator?", and she was like chanting it and crying at the same time..like teretts.
    Would you want to have to depend on someone like that in a high risk, high stress situation?:eek:

The answer is A or D. Don't shoot me, I didn't write that one. A or D will get you a checkmark, B or C will get you an X, thats all I needed to know.

The answer to fupa's question, is that nobody at the motel knows how to add and subtract. I remember my buddy asking me this around the camp fire years ago and I was like "It's 27-2=25, not 27+2=29" and he's like "no, you didn't understand the question" and I'm like "I understand it just fine, now get me another beer";) Now I always let him "stump" me though:p

An example of an experience only question would be:
    A steel plate measuring 10cm x 10cm x 1cm has been drilled through the center with a 20mm bit when the plate and bit were both at 20degC. The plate is now heated to 421deg C. The drilled hole now measures 18mm.

True?
    False?

9. fupabox

"The answer to fupa's question, is that nobody at the motel knows how to add and subtract."

correct:)

I don't however agree with the answer to yours being both A and D...but I won't shoot lol... ..can't help but argue that A or D makes the answer C ...:D

10. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I know, It's maddening. Depending on what "level of logic" you take it to, there will be many opinions, but no one will be 100% sure of the answer because the answer is not clear. You move from determining the answer, to finding the best answer, to choseing a random selection..hehe

I dare you to not think about this question starting NOW.
    That's the whole purpose of the question, you can't.

11. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

A metal developed by a team of researchers from University of California at Irvine, HRL Laboratories and the California Institute of Technology is pictured resting on a dandelion fluff without damaging it.The metal, which is about 100 times lighter than styrofoam, is the world's lightest material, according to a press release by the team. Their findings will be published in the November 18, 2011 issue of "Science" journal.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• G-4.jpg
      G-4.jpg
      File size:
      81.3 KB
      Views:
  12. fupabox

13. fupabox

SWEEET!! ty...that's going on my desktop now...:)

14. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Glad that you like it;)
    Not enough people just say thanks, for all your help.

Best I could do for you, and I pulled it this morning; one of a kind. :p

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

The house that rock built...

Replace the cut-outs with some steel bars, invite your boss, and you got the perfect grizzly bear hunting lodge...:pop:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. fupabox

Cool Hobbit house...I'd live in it...
    BTW I'm taking a shot in the dark at your steel plate expansion question and saying false..the hole should expand

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Sure, of cource, because you are mechanicaly inclined and experienced. At some point in your past, someone probably showed you how to heat up a nut, in order to remove it from a bolt, and now, you associate this question with that experience.
    Experience.
    Most people understand that metal expands with heat, and will see this problem as a constriction of the hole. Ask anyone you know that is not hands-on experienced and they will say...true, regardles of the calculation.
    An educated person, in mechanical theory, will actually do the calculation, using the coefficient of expansion, and arrive at an answer that is closer to 0.2mm than 2mm...and choose false, based on the result given. A further sub-group will do the calculation a second time (0.2-2.0), if they are not confident in their math skills.

One group will get the correct answer right away, one will get the wrong answer right away, other will get the right answer but burn exam time doing it, and the last will get the right answer, but burn more exam time than the question is worth in the over-all scoring of the exam.

And you thought that multiple choice, true false exams were so easy:pop:
    A lot of work goes into them for specific segregation of candidates...depending on what you are "looking" for. Just shows the relation to the first question that is designed as a "stall"...lots of comments...none here, cu'z all these guys are sure about the answer..;)

Strangely enough, if you put a square in the plate...you lose all the testing quality...

No more multiple choice, true false questions, it's my thing, so it got in here somehow..:D

18. fupabox

19. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

That's awsome, I'd love to see someone do one of these in a "political satire", with the primaries going on and all.
    They don't actualy say anything, but they can talk all day long, useing the acceptable key phrases of the day:

climate change (global warming was phased out and is no longer acceptable retoric)
    eco tourisim (just tourism, but the new kind, the new band waggon)
    renewable forestry (this is where the forest magicaly reapears after it has been cut down)
    renewable energy (this is the "for free" kind of energy that nobody wants)
    job creation (this is where they make a job for the people that don't have one, and then pay them with money that dosen't exist)
    responsible business practaces (this is just an inside joke between the have's and the have-nots)
    environmental sensitivities (our land is worth money)
    land management authority (back off, this is ours)
    the rebuilding of governance (to imply that there was previous governance, eventhough there was not)
    resorce management (we don't own it but we want to make money from it)
    enviromentally friendly (we won't trade all of the resource for profit, just some of it)
    agreement conclusion (no such thing)

Then you have your joiner phrases:

meaningful descussions (as appossed to nonmeaningful ones)
    foraging meaningful relationships (we want your money or else)
    developmental procedings
    project restructuring
    due dilagence
    nonpartasan

I could go all day, a new thread maybe...

20. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Just a visual for the previous:

Non governmental, private member land use agreement...(deer lease)

[​IMG]

Fully funded federal land use agreement...(green houses)

[​IMG]

One system is free, the other costs 5 grand in tax dollars to build...:confused:...why?

Attached Files:

21. confuzed

confuzed Member

When I was taking my GED ( could not stand school) the teacher said when in doubt "C" lol. seems it is the most often answer on a random multiple choice test. might have worked I got A's n B's after being out of school for almost 30 years.

22. Daner

Daner Member

lol when in doubt answer C made me think of this pic
    [​IMG]

23. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

oh my now thats some funny stuff right there :pop:

24. fupabox

25. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I see that you've been hanging out on the dark side of youtube again...:pop:

Nice find, strange and fantastic things lurk there, be careful or you might run into the "one cup"...:eek:

Try "bedford rascal part 1"...or 2, 3, 4, 5....WARNING, contents may cause addiction...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  26. fupabox

if only we could pick up mechanically trashed minis for pocket change like our friends to the south.:mad:...I'd have a few more projects on the go...

those Bedford clips made my jibbly bits tingle......:D

27. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

mmm pneumatic tire chains :D~~~~~~~

28. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Came across this little gem that brought back some memories. Seemed like a fantastic concept at the time, but has 0 chance of working. Makes me wonder how many little boys started building like this. Devil's in the details.

[​IMG]

bike-mower-1.jpg

29. stumper

stumper Member

Sorry I have GOT to ask. WHY is it 27-2?

30. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Sure stumper, I don't mind answering.
    It's not a mathematical paradox as the story would have you believe. It's an accounting problem, and illustrates precisely why accountants need certification.

The 2 dollars never came back to the group. It was held by a third party and was then treated as an additional expenditure when labeled "TIP".

Matrix used: 30/3=10-1=9*3=27+2=29....? 1??...30 Which is totally ass backwards and would get any accountant fired.
    Correct matrix: 30-5=25+2=27

So, this is where the "It's 27-2=25 not 27+2=29" came into play.
    As, the group's hotel stay cost was 25, but total expenditure was 27 (TIP)
    29 has nothing to do with anything.

It is a very good mind twister though. Hope that makes it clear but I'm always interested to hear back to find out if that was clear enough in the explanation format that I used.

:pop: