1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U42T Engine

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by biggreen7520, Aug 21, 2011.

1. biggreen7520

biggreen7520 New Member

Hi
    I need a engine or a rebuild kit for a Mitsubishi Minicab 1994 U42T. My smokes really really bad. 45000 miles on motor or could it be something?
    Thank Joel

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

45000 miles. Thats pretty low miles for a smoking engine. Either the miles were popped (over the years Ive had several trucks that were pooped), air filter is not right(motor dusted), or the oil was never changed. My 2 cents Mitsubishi's are prone to smoke a little starting in the 70,000kms mark but not bad.
    Type in Japanese mini truck parts and you can order from a multitude of suppliers. I would highly recommend you get several quotes because parts prices will very.

3. biggreen7520

biggreen7520 New Member

I think it is the rings on one piston because when I pulled the plugs one was full of oil, even dripping oil. Can the rings be changed without pulling the engine out?

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Can the rings be changed without pulling the engine out? Not sure. I would think so. I just finished a Daihatsu that got hot. Head gasket was blown. Removed the head and had it resurfaced. I did it with the engine still in the frame. I would think you could pull the head and oil pan and get the piston out as long as the cross member / motor mounts aren't in the way. Not sure how the Mits. are sat up.

5. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

I would pull the engine out and do it that way....it sucks getting into it then realizing you have to pull it out..