1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snorkel?

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by pepci, Apr 14, 2008.

1. pepci

pepci Member

Has anyone put a snorkel on there Mitsubishi without any problems? I have a client with a 98 Mits and he cannot get the truck to run right with a snorkel installed.He says it lacks power. Any suggestions? Thanks alot:D:frustration:

2. DRW

DRW Member

When does the truck lack power?,if it is after he gets in the higher gears I would guess that the snorkel is causing some type of turbulence that is affecting the carburator's ability to function as it would on a normally aspirated engine.Try turning the snorkel intake around where it is not receiving ram air and see if there is a difference.Lots a variables on something like this.

3. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

Check for any kinks or small restrictive areas. If the tubing is the same size as the carb inlet it will restrict air intake. The volume of the snorkel needs to be as much as realisticly possible. Think of it as a plenlum, same rules apply. Any pics? I could use one after pushing the limit of fording depth this weekend. Greg

4. gbrad

gbrad Member

Static pressure, boundary layer turbulence, and equivalent length all play a part in the amount of air that can reach the engine. Cylinder scavenging is also one of the main issues that controls the airflow.

DRW is right the carb depends on a smooth flow of a certain volume, and a certain velocity to function properly. It would be similar on all of the trucks, but may change a little from model to model. Similar because of 660cc volume. Carburators may be more prone to problems than EFI.

When you add length to the intake path it increases friction in the airflow path and reduces the amount of air available. Cavitation can occur.

That being said you might try a test to shorten the snorkel tubing and see if it changes anything.

I was thinking of building a snorkel for mine. I was considering 2" DWV PVC pipe. I do not know if that size is sufficient. That's just where I was going to start.

I hope you get it fixed.

gbrad

5. volkswagen50

volkswagen50 Member

What's the filter element look like?

6. pepci

pepci Member

The filter element looks fine. I think that all the info given is a good place to start so I will pass it along and see what happens. Thanks for your help. pepci

7. gbrad

gbrad Member

Yeah,

Obviously check all the normal maintenace items first.

gbrad

8. mrhempingtonsr

mrhempingtonsr New Member

I resently install a snorkel system on my 1997 Suzuki Carry useing 1 1/2 inch ASB plastic pipe. The air intake pipe size on the bed bottom measured out at 1 3/8 inch. The 1/4 inch increase in size relates to a 20% increase in volume. I have not noticed any decrease in power, if anything, an increase in low speed torque. I used a UNI filter on top of the snorkel, and after 250 miles ofdirt/gravel roads the UNI has changed color, but main filter is still in pristine condition.