1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

carb replacement?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by tyfyeq, Feb 3, 2010.

1. tyfyeq

tyfyeq Member

I tried searching the hijet section but i found nothing. Guys have replaced them on other models that I read, but none on a s83p. A buddy of mine has a mikunie 32mm carb but i wasn't sure if it will work, or what supplies other then changing the intake and watching the air lines I would have to do. If anyone has done it I would appreciate the help....

2. Craigy

Craigy Member

I used a Minkuni off of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. Had to make an adapter to hang the carb on but it seems to work pretty well, although the carb I'm using has a smaller main jet which makes it run pretty rich.

3. tyfyeq

tyfyeq Member

what do you mean by adapter? how it hooks to the motor or mounting it?

4. Craigy

Craigy Member

I used a 3/16" plate to bolt to the manifold (this is where the original carb bolts on). This plate has a hole in it roughly the same size as the carb opening. I then welded a 2-3" piece of tubing-1.5 to 1.75" inches. On this tubing, I put a piece of fuel hose(same size as tubing). The new carb goes into the fuel hose via hose clamps. With this setup, I could not use the factory air cleaner/housing. I have a few pictures of this on my album. Granted, the pictures of the new intake are not real pretty, but it works.

5. tyfyeq

tyfyeq Member

thank you very much i will let you know how it goes

6. TexAcoon

TexAcoon Member

tyfyeq,

You can actually use a motorcycle Spigot .(ADAPTER). if I am correct you may have to measure bolt center to center distance on the intake manifold, and believe they are approx 74mm or 75mm.

[​IMG]

You should use a flat slide carburator such as a Mikuni TM32-1 Flat Slide.
    The intake manifold measurement should be approx 32mm.

[​IMG]

A Mikuni TM32 Flat Slide will provide you with more acceleration than the round slides. TM32 is a 32mm bore matching your intake manifold .. Anything larger than 32mm may not be of added value .. However, I believe you could go up to 34mm (just guessing) ..

Modifications would also be required to your thottle cable and choke cable since you no longer have an automatic choking system..

Check Out: thread on carb replacment

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  7. Craigy

Craigy Member

I think my carb actually used 4 bolts to attach it to the manifold. Anyway, if I could have found one of these that fit, I would have certainly used it. Good idea. Good luck with your truck.