1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

won't start unless I mash the gas

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Jessf, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Jessf

Jessf Member

So everything was running great. No sputtering, starts right away. Parked it last night, started fine this morning.

I drove out to the job site, parked it in the sun for 3 hours or so. I go to start, nothing. It turns over just fine, and it seemed to sputter if I pumped the gas. So I just mashed the gas and the engine came to life and down to a nice idle. I drove it 25km back to the office without issue. Once I got to the office, I turn it off, then try and restart to see what happens. It started, but seem to take a lot longer than it has before.

I thought mabye it was the fuel pump, but I can't imagine I'd have gotten as far as I did without issue.

It's not the starter motor, it's not the battery. Could it be an ignition coil?

I took it to a spray and wash last night to give it a good cleaning. Everything got hosed, and the cold air froze everything. All of that ice was melting off in the 3hr wait in the sun before I tried to start it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the last sentance may be the answer...maybe something just got wet

3. Jessf

Jessf Member

I considered that, thanks for the reassurance.

Went outside after it had sat for a few hours, started up just fine.

I also considered blocked fuel injectors, perhaps the idle fuel air mixture needs a tune in the warmer weather too.

perhaps the seafoam has knocked a bunch of crap loose. Maybe not. It was the perfect storm perhaps.

I'll buy another can of seafoam and run it through.

I feel confident I can start it up and drive it home, which is good:)