1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sambars trying to kill me when its cold out!

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by FiveOneOh, Feb 26, 2011.

1. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

hey guys, so I'm having a very very annoying problem with with my Sambar. When ever the weather dips to around the freezing level... my throttle is jamming on. the carb moves smooth so its in the cable.. once its warms up the throttle is smooth as butter. has anybody else run into this issue? it's pissing me off because I have to dick around with it in the cold, and now with 3 springs on the throttle return its almost undrivable.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

you try checking the gas pedal? might be froze or need lubed inside the cab

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

the cable prob has moisture built up somewhere near it's lowest part and it is freezing when it gets cold..you need to use a moisture displacing lubricant on the cable (wd-40,pblaster,seafoam deepcreep etc.)...it's a pain but the only way to do it properly is to remove one end of the cable and drip the lube down it while constantly moving the cable back and forth within the sheath(obviously it would be best if you could completely remove the cable from the vehicle but it may be more of a pain in the butt)...if you can gently heat the steel inner cable it will also help the lube creep down inside....I have used this method to free sticking parking brake cables a bunch of times...dripping lube into a cable can be painfully slow so just secure one end as high as you can and wrap a piece of duct tape around the outer sheath in a funnel shape..you can then fill the duct tape funnel with the lube of your choice and not have to stand around waiting for it to wick down into the cable sheath..just move the inner cable back and forth a few times every once in a while...it may take a few hours to get the lube to travel along the length of the cable..make sure to keep the duct tape funnel filled with lubricant

4. Sambar sticky throttle cable

I have had this problem as well,the cable has a low spot,you can clearly see it if you look under your truck cab on the drivers side.You can use a heat gun to warm the cable and it will come free.However it will freeze again unless you trickle WD40 or similar into the cable sleeve.I unhooked the cable from the foot pedal and slipped a cup shaped rubber grommet with a small hole on bottom over the sleeve at the cable exit end and filled the cup with wd40.I repeated the process until the sleeve was full.I have had no problem since.

5. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

ok thats what I was afraid of, thanks guys. I'm off to lay in the snow and fix this now haha awsome! :frustration:

6. packrat

packrat Member

you can get a cable luber from a motorcycle shop. It attaches onto the end around the the outer cable but allows and seals the inner cable. You then inject wd(or whatever) into a small hole in the side of it. They work quite well

7. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Hah Cam, at least you had the presence of mind to shut off the engine!