1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ACTY fuel filter? (pics attached)

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by montrealsoon, Mar 4, 2011.

1. montrealsoon

montrealsoon New Member

Trying to identify my fuel filter for my '92 Honda ACTY, and hopefully find out if there is a North American substitute I can use.

I've attached a picture from some online catalog, and it's a relatively small plastic piece with the tubes in a straight line from each other. The photo's attached from under my truck show a larger metal looking piece with the tubes at ninety degrees from each other.

Am wondering if I am looking at the right part and if anyone knows of a common compatible replacement?

(ps: thanks in advance, and I bought the James Danko book, very useful!)

Attached Files:

2. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

Does your truck have AC because that looks like what the Danko book on page 224 calls a reserve tank. Follow the fuel line from the carb forward and the fuel filter should be on the right side near the fuel tank. Mine is attached to bracket with the fuel pump.

3. montrealsoon

montrealsoon New Member

Thanks! I do have airconditioning. Just took a look at the manual and that really looks like what that is.
    I have to look under my truck again to locate the fuel filter (the fuel filter is nearby there, I think. Not sure how I missed it).

The root of my problem is the "Exhaust Temp Overheat Indicator" (page 125, Danke) is lit and my truck stalls out after use for a few minutes, so I think changing the fuel filter would be a first good step. Do you know a replacement fuel filter that can be bought in local type stores?

My ACTY is my first attempt ever at fixing things myself, and I knew getting one would mean maintaining it mostly myself. It's a great little truck, and I am enjoying about it (walking to work in the mornings, not so much... heh heh!)

4. axle

axle Member

yes, its an ac filter dryer.
    like this.

Attached Files:

5. montrealsoon

montrealsoon New Member

Thanks, good to know.

Do you know a replacement fuel filter that can be bought in local stores?

6. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been able to find a filter at the auto parts store but one of the sponsors of this forum sells thems http://www.fgpstore.com/ In a pinch you can use a regular lawn and garden inline filter and zip tie it to the frame.

7. montrealsoon

montrealsoon New Member

Thanks.

I will order one from the forum sponsor!

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

This is the filter I installed on a 1995 Honda that I am working on.
    Crossed over to 1984 Honda Civic 1.3L.
    The only difference in the oem filter and this one is a clip on one side plus the size of nipples. The aftermarket fuel filter nipples are a tad bigger but works.

Attached Files:

9. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Its been three long days of trouble shooting this 1995 ACTY Honda.
    Complete fuel system from fuel tank, to new carb. and new vacuum lines.
    Still cant get a smooth idle. I still think there is a vacuum leak somewhere because I here a whistle sound at low idle.
    The biggest thing that helped the most was buying a can of sea foam in the aresol can.
    Must be new item because I never saw the aresol can till today.
    Anyway in the middle of picture you will 1/4" brake booster line. The three vacuum lines under neath it run over towards the front right side of engine cover. There they will pair up with one more vacuum line and run under bed and dead end in a black box. I disconnected them where they slide onto the hard lines and gave them a good dose of sea foam.
    Up until then I couldnt get below 1200/1400 rpms. I believe the 90 degree nipples that run directly into intake manifold was gummed up and the sea foam cleaned them out. Now I can get down to a decent idle but still have the issue of getting a smooth idle.
    To some degree 75% of the original vacuum lines where leaking.
    I Highly recommend changing them out on any truck built in the 90's.
    Still scratching my head on getting it to smooth out.
    I will say something about this Honda, it rides as smooth as they come. If I wasnt so hung up on Daihatsu's I'd have one of these puppies.
    It has the 12 valve engine (not sure if they come in 6 valves flavor) and it freaking RUNS.

Attached Files:

10. shogun

shogun Active Member

Would be nice if you could make an 'artist' drawing how the vacuum hoses run. I am driving also old >20 years old BMW E32 7 series and there we have the same problem, the vacuum hoses are brittle and that causes idle as well as brake problem. Fuel pressure regulator is controlled by the vacuum from the engine. So if you make something like this, that would be very useful, this shows the vacuum hoses of an E32 735 straight six engine http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/hose_map.jpg
    BMW has good parts catalogues online, but the 2 vacuum hoses which are connected to the underside of the intakes are nowhere shown in the parts drawings, here is a pic, the red arrow and the hose to the right
    http://s71.photobucket.com/user/shogun_bucket/media/whichhose.jpg.html
    Installed one cannot see them, only feel them when one has flexible hands/arms. So check all line from start to end, also there might be y-pieces made of plastic which are broken (not sure if they exist on the Honda, but on my BMW)