1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh-Oh Won't start issue.

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Kitty, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Kitty

Kitty Member

So my 91 Sambar has been running great for four months. I let it sit for two days but before that I believe I ran it low on gas (I do run low a lot). So sitting for two days I went back to start it up (Had to go to work CRAP!!) It doesn't start !

Ideas that I have ...

-Gas is frozen (Unlikely)
    -Fuel pump died because of running on low gas
    -Driving on the hwy everyday killed the poor kei truck
    -I don't recall hearing the fuel pump pressurizing (If it does) every time I put it to 'on'
    - *Dumbfounded*

Too bad I can't get it started to bring to my shop to diagnose it more.

Pros
    -It cranks really well, no problem there.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

my money is on a clogged fuel filter or pickup screen in the tank...letting it run low on fuel allows the pump to suck in all the crud in the bottom of the tank..also some fuel pumps (especially in tank pumps) are cooled by being immersed in fuel and can burn out

3. Jessf

Jessf Member

have you tried flooring it while cranking it?

4. Kitty

Kitty Member

Flutter, gently, floored. Tried it all.

My suspicsion leads me to believing it's the fuel pump.

Do our kei trucks have a fuel regulator, maybe I can use a bigger pump but same style.

5. Kitty

Kitty Member

Update !

Okay so I took the line off after the fuel pump going to the carb and gave it a quick crank. It shot out on splurge of gas to pressurize (I believe) and when I crank nothing... until I back off the key and it shot out a couple of times.

I have a feeling I have fuel so I'll check for spark and air.

6. Kitty

Kitty Member

Done and done !

It was a clogged air filter. :D

WOOT WOOT. Kei truck lives !

7. fupabox

congrats on the repair

8. Kitty

Kitty Member

Update...

IT WAS NOT THE FILTER... though it was black, like ... black.

In the end, I tested the spark plugs if they sparked but in reality they were fouled.

So I replaced them and the truck starts 100% Awesomness. :cool:

9. Kitty

Kitty Member

The next day ... Dun dun dun !

It doesn't start ...

Too much gas ?

-Sadface-

I wonder what will make it not start anymore after a snowy drive.

10. Kitty

Kitty Member

Work update.

It started after jacking the rear end up and cranking it a little. I tried putting it in second and starting it, don't ask me why but it started. Maybe it needed a little push start haha.

The feelings I have, that it's getting too much fuel or spark is not strong enough... Kinda sorta doesn't explain why it'll start while jacked up since that's how I started it the other two times if everyone has been reading.

Something I found,

- A sparking noise here and there that seems to be near the engine bay. "Gasp! "

Is it some sort of ignition problem than ... Dun dun dun !

Will keep at it..

11. fupabox

possible ground strap problem..when you jack it up it is making contact ?...could still be a fuel pickup,but if you are hearing an arcing noise then I would try hooking a jumper cable to the neg battery terminal and to the engine and see if it starts...there should also be a ground from your dist. body to the frame..it may be corroded

12. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Quoc, when you gapped the plugs what did you use? I had a misfire under load problem and it turned out that the PO had gapped the plugs to .050 instead of .030.

Pull a plug wire off and hold it near the body. See if you get a nice, fat, blue spark. Be careful you don't zap yourself.

Check the ground like Fupa said. Have you checked the points and condensor?

13. Kitty

Kitty Member

Hmm I'll check soon, my Sambar book said to gap at 1mm which I did do when I put new plugs in it, also I did check the spark when the old ones were in.

The Kei truck starts and runs fine but when it doesn't start it's usually wet.

SOOO

I'll be checking all my grounds but what points near the condenser ? :confused:

14. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

may need to file the points, check and see they don;t have a bur on them it will cause messed up ignition problems.

I'ld coem help you but my Corolla died last night.. and the timing belt snapped on my Sambar today.. :(

15. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

1mm is about what, .040? I think I'd max the gap with non EI at .035 ...

16. FiveOneOh

FiveOneOh Member

will petronix fit the sambar?

17. Kitty

Kitty Member

Huzzaahhh so it was the wire that connects to the ignition coil and distributor !

New wires, caps, and rotors are coming. :D ! :cool:

18. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Awesome, good to hear Quoc!

19. fupabox

Nice ...fingers crossed that does it

20. Kitty

Kitty Member

So far everything is perfect with the old coil wire I have but it's a pain that once in awhile I have to wiggle it to get the truck to start. Sadly my lack of a stable job means no new rotors, cap and wires. :(

21. machew671

machew671 Member

I know this is an old has heck thread, but did OP figure out the culprit?

22. udidwht

udidwht Member

You mentioned previous post new parts coming....and now no parts coming?

23. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

You are replying to a 12+ year old thread.