1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Toy!! 91 Sambar

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by MWAlliance, Mar 5, 2011.

1. MWAlliance

MWAlliance New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site, I had recently bought a 91 sambar super deluxe. It has the clover 4 engine in it...is this the supercharged one?

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

I think so. if it is, run premium.

3. MWAlliance

MWAlliance New Member

Really?! well that would be a bonus. Is your 92 a clover 4 also?

4. Kei King

Kei King Member

Open the engine cover and if your intake plenum says "SUPERCHARGER" in big letters then you'll have your answer. The actual supercharger is the belt driven "thing" between the air filter box and the intake manifold. Trucks with superchargers also came with the appropriate decals on the tail-gate.

5. MWAlliance

MWAlliance New Member

Ah...ok, no super charger. Damn it! Well I couldn't have been that lucky!!
    -Thanks

6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

lol no dad's isnt supercharged either. its a rare beast i hear.

7. longview

longview Member

welcome aboard

congrats on the new toy ;)

8. MWAlliance

MWAlliance New Member

Help! 91 sambar no spark

Okay so we broke the new toy!!

We were out driving it on the frozen lakes and it was running great. We switched drivers and when I went to drive the truck stalled out and wouldn't turn over. (Lights, heat everything else worked) after checking fuses and a few other things we called for a ride...just for the hell of it I hit the key just before the ride came and she started!! So we went closer to home and continued to test our new toy.

It was an hour or so later and almost the same thing happened...we waited 10-15 minutes and it started again. Same thing happens a bit later...only this time we go to start it and it just keeps turning over with no spark.

We replaced the coil and plugs, check the battery cables, the bigger fuses by the battery, the other fuse box, we have power to the coil and nothing at the other end.

I was thinking module, but I am not sure where it is! and I was wrong on the coil apparently so I don't want to by a module and have that be a mis-diagnosis too...

-you guys seem to really know your shtuff, so PLEASE help me out!

9. Janlone

Janlone Member

Sorry for jacking the thread but how important is it to run on premium? Any potential problems if not? Will it be ok if I at least run on 89 octane?

10. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Supercharged and turbocharged engines (and high compression nat.aspirated engines as well) require premium to keep them from compression igniting (knock/pinging)....if you can live with a few less hp you can retard the timing a tad and run regular,or drive with a lighter foot.....

11. MWAlliance

MWAlliance New Member

No worries man...I wouldn't think it would harm anything, probably just not run as nice.