1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting noise, not sure what to make of it

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Jessf, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Jessf

Jessf Member

I've noticed that as I'm driving along and I let off the gas I can hear a rattle noise coming from the engine area. It never happens when I'm accelerating and it doesn't seem to matter at what speed I'm going, but as I'm letting off the gas you can hear it. If I hold the throttle once I hear it I can keep the noise constant.

I'll see if I can get some video of the noise.

any intidialy thoughts?

2. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Heat shield? Why not pull off the passenger's seat and drive around? You ought to be able to pinpoint it pretty fast that way...

3. Jessf

Jessf Member

Well I had the window down and it sounds as though it's coming from the driver side. I've never heard the death rattle of a fuel pump before, but would that be a constant noise or one that changes with throttle input?

I blipped the throttle this morning while the truck was stationary and I can hear the noise, so I know it's not drive train related.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

loose alt.belt can make a rattle as well

5. zardoz

zardoz Member

piston slap?

z

6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Fuel pump is in the tank for a Suzuki...

7. Jessf

Jessf Member

true, but it's mounted externally for the Subaru. I should be able to trouble shoot it, my primary concern was engine pinging or knock. Would there be other symptoms of pinging or knock? I have only youtube as a reference.

If I can't figure it out I'll take it in, I wanted to do a full tune up before the summer anyway.

thanks dudes.

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I had a heat shield one time doing the same thing. Took me a week to figure out where it was coming from.
    What about inside guts to cat. converter?

9. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

A Toyota Dealer sold a new car and the lady complained about a rattle. After a couple of weeks of looking at it the dealer sent the car to the body shop. They found a empty coke can in the fender well.

10. Jessf

Jessf Member

no cat on the subaru either. I'll get some video for you guys. The rattle is definately linked to throttle input.

11. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

You'd hear ping or knock under throttle, not when you were releasing the throttle...

12. Jessf

Jessf Member

the noise occurs as I'm releasing the throttle, or very lightly adding throttle. I'll see what I can get as far as audio this weekend.

13. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

possible an overtightened clutch cable..release bearing riding constantly

14. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Do you get the noise when it's out of gear? If so just get a friend with a wooden dowel to touch the dowel to different parts of the truck with the other end touching their ear while you rev. It'll be obvious where the noise is coming from...

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

thinking exhaust myself.

16. Jessf

Jessf Member

it will do it when out of gear, correct.

17. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Knocking in the engine

Hi . how are you doin? My friend, about 2 weeks ago i was driving mine and i heard the same ticking. kept wondering what it was.. At one point, it sounded like the distributor so i removed it and checked it. that wasn't the problem. turns out it was my connecting rod bearing that is gone. as the weeks rolled by the knocking got louder. when i was on the gas pedal, i didn't hear it at all. only when i let off the gas, i would hear it. Now the sound is getting louder, like I have a carpenter in my engine. For me, i really don't care as this is pushing me faster to put a motorcycle engine in. I would have liked to have sold my engine as I have a bigger supercharger on it. It ran pretty hard. I would have liked someone else to have enjoyed it.
    Now, back to the problem. This is a very common problem on subaru's. Either the connecting rod goes out of being round or the crank shaft warps. There are undersized bearings available. If you take the crank shaft to a machine shop, they can machine it for you. If you need more information on this look up minibrutes.com- they will be more than willing to help you out.

18. Jessf

Jessf Member

If you've seen my other post, the noise is no longer my biggest issue but may be directly linked. I'm getting a lot of good info from you guys.

how to undersized bearings play a part in this? Am I correct in assuming that once we grind the crank we need to install slightly smaller bearings?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011