1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cables Freezing

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

It has been wet and warm lately, and spring is trying to poke through. I drive through many puddles on my way home. Last night it got down to -10°C and my parking brake cable froze. Then on the way to work my gas pedal stuck open!

Crisis averted as tapping the pedal caused it to loosen a bit and it started working again. The brake came off with a little rocking back and forth.

Anyone else ever have these issues with the Sambar? How easy is it to seal up or lubricate the cables or protect them from this sort of thing?

2. confuzed

confuzed Member

Here in AlbertaI have been having freezing issues with shifter cables until it warms up.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  3. Jessf

Jessf Member

i have trouble shifting into 2nd from 1st when it's cold out. Once the tranny fluid warms up it's fine.

doesn't really help your situation but there has to be a fix somewhere here on the site you could use.

4. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Sambar Gas Cable Freezing

Hi my friend. You're not alone with this issue. Back in November of last year, I was driving with a friend of mine. We stopped at the lights and just as I pushed the gas to go, the pedal got stuck and I slammed into the back of a van at about 50k. Luckily, only my headlight grill was broken and the other guy let me go as there was not much damage done to the vehicle. Of course an OPP officer had to be behind me. I had to pretty much take the blame as i did not want to point out to him that the fault was with the gas pedal. You know how much they are against right hand drive vehicles in Ontario.

I managed to hook a bungey cord onto the gas linkage and hook it to a part on the engine so it would pull back the cable. I was able to drive it to our shop. It turned out to be a 10min fix. The cable is about 15 ft long. You have to remove the cable from the gas pedal assembly and then go to the engine compartment and open the throttle body lever. It is spring loaded and unhook the cable as well. Then you can pull the entire cable out. once you unhook the cable, you are going to need to hang it upside down. Get some penetrating oil and squeeze it into the housing of the cable. It shouldn't take more than 10 min to get to the other side. If you have an air compressor with an air tip , you can just spray air and it will go through much faster. Just slide the cable a few times to make sure that it's free. Upon the reinstalling the cable, you can do what i did to ensure that it never happens again. Run the cable beside the antifreeze pipe as it goes right to the radiator in the front of the truck. This way if water gets in, it will not freeze as the heat from the antifreeze pipe will prevent that from happening. It is not about putting in a new cable as the same thing will happen. I have driven my truck steady and this has never happened to me again. And it is a common problem. Hope this helps. Cheers.
    PHP:

5. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

Now that's what I call an awesome response! Hands-on experience, great description of the problem and how to fix it, and targets root cause for a permanent solution. Excellent work. Thanks Carl.

________
    &rew