1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new sambar owner needs help with carb. runs bad

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by rosedalecars, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rosedalecars

rosedalecars New Member

I recentley got a '94 subaru sambar. It idles ok, but has no power under load and barley moves. My mechanic who is not to familiar with these mini trucks thinks its needs a carb. Where would I find one ?? any other solutions ??

Thank you
    D

2. Jessf

Jessf Member

run a can of Seafoam through the fuel tamk, see if that helps. There are a few guys on here that should be able to help you with the carb.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Sounds like the mechanic is "guessing"..but I'm assuming he would have checked filters/plugs/timing...even a pretty gummed up carb will move you around ,usually stalling,surging cutting out etc. barely any power but good idle suggests the problem is elsewhere....has he checked for exhaust restrictions or seized brakes/wheel bearings?...also check the vacuum lines and dist advance ...you didn't mention revving while in neutral..will it rev while sitting still? The seafoam will definitely help with a gummy carb....

4. axle

axle Member

5. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

same problem we had with our kv3 91 sambar
    replace ht leads of ebay at a cost of £14.99
    replace dissy cap and rotor arm at a cost of £9.00
    replaced air filter at a cost of £16.00

then colour tuned the engine using a old colour tune kit i have lying arround, the fuel mix needs to be on the lean side, my little carb has a plastic little cover over the mix screw to stop it moving, found the ideal mix is about 1+3/4 turns out from its home location found by slowly turning the screw all the way back in then mesuring the turns back out, any more than that will cause it to run rough and blackern the plugs, as you look at the little black covers on the carb its in the lower left area flat head screw

6. rosedalecars

rosedalecars New Member

Thanks for response. mechanic says water got in carb and needs a new one. where do I find one ?? Thankyou

7. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

water shouldnt have damaged it !
    you can strip and rebuild all most any carb using gasket papers i know ive had a few old clasics you cant get bits for. just take pictures of it as you strip it down and rebulid it in reverse of the pictures youve taken, just remember if you loosen anything to make notes on how nmany turns it takes to loosen it and tightern them back up to the same once you have striped it and replaced any gaskets

sounds like the guy just doesnt want to do the job

i may have a spare carb but will need to know what engine you have

mike

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Yeah....I think the mechanic needs swapping out ...not the carb:D