1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Cover Gasket

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

My valve cover is leaking a bit of oil. I have a great opportunity to work on it now but the Sambar gasket store is a long way away.

Can anyone tell me what material the gasket is made of? If it's something I could cut myself I'll take it off and make a new one. If it's molded rubber then I will probably wait to get the new part.

2. zardoz

zardoz Member

These are reasonably high

compression engines. My advice is to order a new one from one of the sponsors. I'm pretty sure you cant make your own... each cylinder will have a metal ring in the gasket to achieve proper seal and compression... I wouldn't "farmer John" something like a head gasket.... :sly:

z

3. Kitty

Kitty Member

I think he said "valve" gasket not "head" gasket.

I tried to reuse my old one with a thick layer of silicon, but evidently the old gasket looks like it was made out of silicon, not sure if that was aftermarket, but I bet if I make a new gasket out of silicon it'll be fine.

4. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

5. zardoz

zardoz Member

doh!

Looks like I need to practice reading :frustration:

z

6. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I appreciate the responses, errors and all! :)

Actually it turned out not to be the valve cover that was leaking, it is in fact the head gasket. So Zardoz's reply was not so irrelevant.
    ______
    &rew

7. Kitty

Kitty Member

Is the poor truck blowing white smoke ? :p

8. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

No white smoke, running just fine, but a few drops of oil on the driveway. Just enough to be a nuisance. It also kinda stinks a bit when I first shut it off, I suppose becuase a little gets on the exhaust manifold.

I probably won't fix it until it gets a bunch worse.