1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunting an Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

Forgive me for bombarding this forum lately. I'm new to these trucks, loving it, but having some small troubles here and there. The collective intellect here can really help pin-point a problem and size up a job.

Today it's an oil leak. Oil drops are always clinging to the bumper bar directly aft of the oil filter and appear to be coming down the inside of the heat shield. There is a smell of burning oil when I get home.

The leak presents near the driver's side toward the rear, probably somewhere under the exhaust heat shield. I could probably pull that shield off, but those heat-exposed bolts are the kind that break and need machining to repair, and I'm hoping to avoid this.

I peeled the timing belt cover off and it is dry in there. The filter, the area around the seal, and forward from there are all dry. The valve cover is not leaking. I cannot see any leakage from above.

Questions:
    What is it "probably"?
    What are the common issues?

Thanks ...

2. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

3. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

Thanks for the response Sambarmon92.

I read that entire thread but all it talks about is the oil pressure switch, which is under the flywheel, just forward of the oil filter on my rig. It is definitely not leaking. I never saw any mention of the "oil temperature sensor" either in that thread or in my Sambar factory service manual.

Can you tell me where on the engine to find the oil temperature sensor? It would have to be up inside the exhaust heat shield I think base on where the oil seems to be coming from.

&rew ('92 Sambar)

4. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

we had a similar leak, ours was the gasket seal on the oil filter its self, it run down the side of the engine case and along the heat sheild of the exhaust, drained out oil replaced oil filter and some quality oil, now no problems

soptted it while i left the engine running, everything looked perfect inluding the outside of the oil filter, i guess its just when the oil get thin as the engine heats up just enough to cause a leak

hope that helps

5. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

Sorry, it's been a while since I read that other thread. :eek: The "oil temperature sensor" is the same as the "oil pressure switch",:D located just under the oil filter. ( arrow on pic. ).
    Mikeh1975 is right, sometimes you don't see a leak until the oil warms up or the vehicle is running. I had a mysterious leak once,that appeared under certain conditions, turned out to be a punctured oil filter.

Attached Files:

• OTS.JPG
      OTS.JPG
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I couldn't stand the curiosity so I got in a little deeper with a light and had a pretty good look. I'm now convinced that the head gasket is the source of the leak.

It's a little hard to tell with absolute certainty. There is no evidence of oil around the seam between the valve cover and the head, but there is at the seam between the head and the block. I cannot see anything else in there that could be leaking.

The occasional drop hitting the exhaust would explain the smell, and considering the likely direction of air movement at speed I figure a few drops of oil get blown up into the heat shield and then dribble out once I stop.

Replacing the head gasket is the kind of job you probably want to do in conjunction with a whole lot of other repairs (valve job, timing belt, etc.) so I guess I'll put a few km on it before I get too serious about it.

______
    &rew

Derek Groth likes this.
  7. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

if its your head gasket there should be signs of this either in your water or the oil (sound like my doctor), as the water and oil channels on the subaru head are realy close, your water or oil levels may have a whitish fluffy deposit in ithis is where the fluids mix and deposit, a garrage should have a "sniffer" if you cant see it the sniffer finds small deposits of water or oil in either liquid, just with a easy dip test, its very rare a head gasket will leach outwards even if the engine is tilted like in the sambars, are you sure its not from the top cam cover? these are a cork gasket (well it is on mine), you can remove the top off it and use some liquid multigasket on it if you cant get a replacement one, thats a lot cheeper than getting a head replaced !!!

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Having never touched a Sambar I'm only shooting in the dark..but have you checked the pcv valve or hose on top of the valve cover? Oil drips are like rivers.they find the easiest way downhill..in your case that could be the seam between the head and block

9. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I haven't had much time to tinker with this oil leak thing lately, but yesterday I examined the coolant and the oil carefully finding no trace of either in the other. Good news, right?!

I had a really close look with a strong light and a mirror, and despite my earlier conviction to the contrary I believe I have traced the leak to the valve cover. I obviously missed it on the first couple of close examinations.

I'm ordering a new gasket and looking for your best tips and trade secrets for ensuring a good seal.

______
    &rew

10. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

Update: I replaced the gasket and it did not fix the leak.

I could tell even as I took the old one off that it was not leaking. It was installed well and they had used a gasket sealant at the critical corners. It all looked very pro. The valve cover is not cracked or warped, the surfaces are all pristine and not scratched.

Anyway, I've replaced it with great care and it is no different. You'd think if the gasket was leaking again it would be either better, worse, or in a different spot. I'm back to being baffled.

__D

11. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

i still think you will find it either the oil filter, or the presure switch next to it

12. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I wish it was the filter or the switch.

I understand that these often leak, but that area is particularly easy to see. When the truck is really hot and dripping on the driveway, I look under the truck and I can clearly see the oil coming from up under the heat shield. The Filter is dry and clean, apart from a little dust. There is no trace of oil around it (none, nada, never has been). The only evidence of oil is aft of the filter by a significant space.

I'm beginning to wonder if the cam seal behind the timing gear is leaking. It will be hard to tell without removing the timing belt, gear, and housing. The timing belt is new, so I don't want to muck around in there right now. My current line of though it is that the slight oozing only occurs when the engine is really hot, and the drips get blown back into the heat shield by the air flow.

__D

13. DuncVan

DuncVan Member

What about the dip-stick? Or the dip-stick housing? With enough pressure (pedal to the metal) could oil squirt out a hole there? The geometry seems right from the description in the first post but I am not sure of the auto-mechanical credibility of this idea.
    If this is the case I would check if your oil levels are too high (but getting lower) ?

14. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

Good idea. I looked and both are dry. Oil level is right, and it is the tiniest bit low after a couple of weeks of leaking a drop or two here and there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrew
    __D

Last edited: May 4, 2011