1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very little power when engine is cold

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Tsar, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Tsar

Tsar New Member

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 1995 Subaru Sabmar pickup from Japanoid (whom I cannot recommend enough for their customer service) but I am having a slight problem with it.

When the engine is cold (started in the morning or after a couple of hour sit) there seems to be an issue with the acceleration. No matter what gear you're in, you can mash on the gas pedal and the truck just crawls. It almost feels like you're driving into a very strong headwind. After three minutes or so of driving the truck starts to operate normally. It hasn't been abnormally cold lately about 5 degrees in the morning but it happens even when it's 13 out.

The engine has been serviced recently (by Japanoid) and I am wondering if this is a normal operation for the truck or is something wrong with it. I have had the truck for a week now and for the first 5 days it was working properly and just in the last two days has started acting funny.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Any suggestions mechanical or not you can recommend? Is there a choke on the instrument panel I haven't seen yet?

Other than that I love the truck. So zippy and fun.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

check the air box.

3. Tsar

Tsar New Member

I sea foamed it this evening. Seems to have a little more pep but the engine was warm so tomorrow morning's cold start will tell the whole story.

4. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

check for a short with your ht leads, wait till its dark start the car and check for sparks jumping along the leads and coil/cap, we had a similar problem it was the number 2 lead just on the cap shorting to the chassis, where the ht lead is at a 90 degree angle from the top of the cap, if you cant see a spark or arc of light, get a spray bottle woth some water in it and spray along the leads and cap, if it arc`s thenyou know it will be that!!!

a new set of leads sorted ours out:pop:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  5. Tsar

Tsar New Member

Seafoam FTW

6. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I take it the Seafoam worked ??:):pop:

7. starpuss

starpuss Member

For The Win
    Fuc* the world