1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'90 ACTY power loss/rough idle/ possible cat problem

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by RuzzP, May 6, 2011.

1. RuzzP

RuzzP New Member

Hey guys just kooking for some input. My truck had started idling rough last year, ive since got a new car so it has been sitting since then.

The other day i seafoamed it by filling the carb with it thru the main fuel line on the carb. i let it sit for half an hour, started it back up with gas, then filled the carb again and let it sit overnight. The next day i was suprised to not see very much smoke coming out. I took it for a drive and as the temp went up it smoked more and more, once i had it at operating temp for a minute or so, and i started losing more and more power. I turned around and headed back home(less than a mile). By the time i got home the truck would hardly rev up from an idle, it sounded like it was bogging out and then i would hear a few pings and pops then it would fart out the exhaust almost like a backfire, it eventually died and wouldnt start.

Today i went out and it started "normally" or like it has been usually anyways, kinda rough idle and a little shakey. i was happy the truck wasnt dead so i swapped out the plugs and noticed oil on them... ill deal with that problem later. took the truck for a drive and it was idling better, but once it got back up to temp the same thing started happening.

This truck was plagued with choke problems when i got it so i wouldnt be surprised if my cat is plugged. My question to you guys is do you think it make sense that the cat plugs up more when warm? Ive pissed around with the airbox lid on and off, even with the filter out and still no difference. doesnt seem to be burning anymore oil than usual although i havent driven it much. Fuel filter has maybe 5 tanks thru it, im pretty positive its not fuel or air related. and i doubt the spark would be affected by engine temp.:confused:

Id also like to add that before i seafoamed it, it was totally drivable, it just took a couple seconds to rev up, and i couldnt get much more than 3rd gear out of it. And i never DID see much of that sea foam smoke come out, thats what got me thinking the majority of it is in my cat causing problems.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

sounds more like a vac problem to me

3. RuzzP

RuzzP New Member

i went over all the vac lines last year. i did spray some ether at em to see if the idle changed, and it never did. anybody have an idea what lines or parts of the carb to check? im still a gas-job noob, diesel engines way may more sense to me

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds like a possible cat problem...unhook the exhaust at the downpipe and see if it runs ant better...

5. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

check ignition

6. RuzzP

RuzzP New Member

cat has been replaced with a pice of flex pipe for now, didnt do much but help throttle response. im seeing more smoke when i rev it now, but it isnt burning oil like crazy( previous engine had bad rings i know what thats like). i shall check out the ignition tomorrow, and do a compression test if i can get my hands on/make a tester.

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

if the previous engine was burning oil , the muffler as well as the cat. may be plugged with sludge...it will take ages to burn all the oil out of the exhaust...my old 2 stroke dirt bike we used to put the exhaust on the bbq for a few hours every month or so to burn out the oil...

8. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

Any updates?

9. bigbuckhunter95

bigbuckhunter95 New Member

hi... did you ever get this problem figured out? i just bought a 2002 Honda Acty. The day i bought it it started but idled rough. when i test drove it it didnt seem to want to take gas when i put the pedal down (it would bog). and i couldnt get more than 3rd gear. i got it home and it wouldnt start at all.... fires a little but wont start. only has 16k miles on it. any help would be great. thanks-

10. shogun

shogun Active Member