1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 Hijet carb adjustment issues

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Tommy1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Tommy1

Tommy1 New Member

:frustration:I have a 1988 Daihatsu Hijet 2wd. Having some carb issues. Looking for a rebuild kit. There are 4 different adjustments on carb. Best I can tell, 1 is for the idle, 1 is an air screw adjustment, 1 is a fast idle adjust ment and there is 1 on the throttle linkage itself. no idea what that does. The choke linkage is just hanging, not connected to anything. Looks like a guide is missing. Extremely hard to start and fouls the plugs with gas often. Can anybody help with this?

2. PJ&Tubby

PJ&Tubby Member

Recommend talking with Leon at Daihatsu Help - the link and 800# different places on the forum. If you don't find it I'll look for you.

If the phone line is busy tomorrow, he will probably be helping solve a similar problem for us!

3. Tommy1

Tommy1 New Member

:) Thank you Shelia and Jeff for the help. I am ready to pull my hair out!

4. PJ&Tubby

PJ&Tubby Member

Welcome. Understand completely. Our truck, as of yesterday, has us in the same boat. Talked with Daihatsu help today, but didn't get running again. Had to use the Toyota to feed cattle today in the rain and mud. The Daihatsu is so much better for our situation; gets through mud better and easier to reach feed buckets. For what its worth, the points needed opening and after putting everything back together it doesn't fire. Needed a bit (hopefully) more time today. With all the things that need some repair or completion squeezed in the shop, we don't have room for any hair to fall :)

5. PJ&Tubby

PJ&Tubby Member

Got ours back running this morning:)

All that was done was adjusting the points -- twice. Yesterday's adjustment had us completely not running. Today's adjustment has running good for no new parts. I'm afraid to try to describe what Jeff did in case I get something wrong and mess somebody up in the process. If anybody wants details, I'll take dictation and post the steps or PM and I'll give phone # for a direct chat with Jeff.

Glad to be back in operation. Had a great appreciation for the daily use of the truck -- yesterday without it made even more so.

Hope someone else will have a problem solved today;)

6. beerwagon

beerwagon New Member

i have gasket set for the carb and a exrta set of point pm and let me know i have them liste in the for sale section

7. mael

mael Member

I've just had a go at fixing a carb from a Daihatsu of about the same vintage as yours. This one came off a car, but the engine is 660cc.

I counted six adjustments. I'm not sure what they are all called. As you said, there is an idle screw, an air screw at the base, a fast idle screw, and there are three adjustments on the choke system. There's another adjustment on one of the vacuum doohickies on the choke side.

Someone had used a pressure jet to clean the engine compartment prior to getting it road-tested. The outcome was that it would start but would bog down. What could it have been? - it was an old carb which hadn't been oiled this century.

I still don't know what was wrong wit it. I cleaned the jets and cleaned the float bowl and freed everything up and then put it back together. I'm using a homemade gasket made out of cardboard soaked with grease and somehow an aluminium wire connector on the choke side got broken so I made a new one out of wire from a coat hanger and used shrink-wrap for wire to keepit in place.

I haven't tried to start it yet but I'm expecting it will be a nasty job.

The air-screw was ten turns out? I've left the settings approximately as they were, and my plan is to get it started and use the idling screw to get the engine to operating temp and then set the choke so it is fully off when warm. I don't know about the fast idle - but I imagine it is for the aircon??? That is an easy adjustment.

The choke is the most difficult part by the looks of it. There's a mark on the fast-idle arm which seems to indicate where the arm should be at when cold. And this is moved by a 10mm spanner and an allan key. The rest of the adjustments are screwdriver jobs but I think they have to be extremely short.

Of course the gaskets were tatty and there's some slightly old and hardening gasket goo trying to patch the cracks up a bit. I sure hope I haven't sealed any of the holes I shouldn't have with that (liberally applied) gasket cement.

I just thought I'd pipe-in and mention what I'm up to. My plan was to find some beautiful pics somewhere on the 'net which told me everything I might want to know about fiddling with the carb for a 660cc Daihatsu carb.

I just did the carbs on my 4 cyl bike. I used the synchronising gauges. Those m/cycle carbs are a lot simpler than the carb from a kei car/truck. - I put strips of tape with numbers on each pipe and where it fits in. There are twenty pipes!!!

I could test the two solenoids but I couldn't test the big round thing with six wires on it which seems to govern air flow between two pairs of pipes and sits on the non-choke side of the carb.

The guy who wants to get te car going has tried everything short of removing the carb. He was extremely reluctant to do it because as you know it is very complicated. But I thought he had nothing to lose and ended up volunteering to see if I could find a fault with it on my w/bench.

To be honest if the engine goes then it's a bonus. What is more likely is that the homemade gasket leaks and/or petrol will find its way out to the atmosphere.

... Exciting times. I'll see if it goes when I wake up tomorrow afternoon.:):cool:

8. sherlock2002

sherlock2002 New Member

Hi Tommy1
    Have a look in the Daihatsu reference section. MGeorge has uploaded a pdf called 'fuel system'. Have a look at this, it is from the Hijet manual and gives a good explanation of the parts and some troubleshooting. Might be helpful.

9. sherlock2002

sherlock2002 New Member

Just had another thought. I'll scan the carb pages and upload them so you can see what parts of the choke are missing. Then you can find, make, beg or steal the parts!

10. Merk

Merk New Member

hi sherlock2002,

HI Guys,

see my link: picture:

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/Arnel50_bucket/?action=view&current=HIJETCARB.jpg

Hoping some one could help me. I bought a hijet minivan cb40/ cb41 model but it is a hijet.. 1988 model..993cc mini van ,gas/ petrol, 3 cylinder..Left hand drive. on top of my carburetor there are 3 vacuum nossel. I don't know what is the original setting or manufacture default connection for this hoping someone could help... I just notice that there are 2 nossel on the advancer upper and lower as well...no idea which one is the right connection. see my picture in number...

Also i notice under the carburator thier is also a vacuum nossel and don't know where it is connected...

my high jet is quite old but still running, I'm dreaming to restore it on its original shape soon.
    what is the original connection of 3 pcs. nossel by manufacture default? s
    nossel 1:???
    nossel 2:???
    noseel 3:???
    4th is located under the carburator(don't know if it a pump or vacuum) where it is connected?

hope some one can read my thread. and reply on it soon.
    thanks..