1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Axle Lock/diff Lock On 91 Suzuki

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by DRW, Feb 12, 2008.

1. DRW

DRW Member

I have a 91 Suzuki Carry with both axle lock and diff lock, this is how they work.The axle lock function is simply part of the 4wd system,when the transfer case is shifted into 4wd the engagement of the front differential to the front driveline is done by the vacumn pod on the differential housing.The front differential is an open type which means that the tire with the least amount of resistance will spin before the other one, just like a normal passenger car.The rear differential operates as an open type as well until the diff. lock is engaged,once engaged both axles are locked together by a sliding clutch type arrangement also operated by a vacumn pod.I cannot speak for other brands,but they are probably similiar in function.

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

When you say. "once engaged both axles are locked together by a sliding clutch type arrangement also operated by a vacumn pod" Do you mean the the front and rear axles, or the left and right rear axle shafts are locked together. I am thinking you mean the later but just wanted to clarify.

-Greg

3. DRW

DRW Member

Axle Question

I was referring to the left and right axles on the rear diff.

4. greg0187

Does this front Axle-Lock engage at any other time other than pushing the button. b/c I've read that it will automatically engage when you engage 4WD.

-Greg

5. DRW

DRW Member

On my Suzuki the axle lock function does automatically engage when transfer case is shifted into 4wd and right or wrong the indicator light on the switch stays lit after returning to 2wd and the switch must be pushed in order for the light to go out.I have not tried it,but maybe the front diff stays engaged to the driveline for 4H shift on the fly if needed.

6. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

DRW,

That is exactly the way my 92 Suzuki operates. The part that I do not understand is... why the button on the dash? The axle lock automatically engages when the transfer case is in 4WD. And this is the only time it needs to be engaged. The transfer case has to be in 4WD before there is motive power to the front differential. So what is the purpose of having a seperate button for axle lock on the dash?? :confused:

7. greg0187

Shift on the fly is exactly what I was thinking. So the button is there more to use as an off switch.

-Greg

8. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Same as my 93 Suzuki.....

I'm glad to see people are learning and sharing the correct information on the "features" of these trucks (Suzukis in particular in this case)....

I hope some of the dealers start doing the same.....still see many dealers advertising trucks with axle lock as if its something important, like making the front axle "posi-trak".....

Just for fun (well, not really fun).... I contacted many dealers inquiring about the axle lock.... I was told it makes the front "posi-trak" (both tires pull no matter what)..... They are either deliberatly misleading in order to make their product more appealing, or just dont have a clue, ..or both.

Not to name names, but some are members here. This issue has been discussed and researched extensively up to this point where a conclusion has been made, yet they do not correct their advertisements....???
    :confused:

9. DRW

DRW Member

IndianaJason, the main reason I posted the axle information was due to all the incorrect information I have read concerning this issue.I have seen the axle lock shown as an added option also affecting the price of a truck when it is not, the old saying is so true, "buyer beware"

10. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Caveat emptor

11. DRW

DRW Member

Caveat emptor...oh so true in any purchase! I sent your info to my friend in need of u-joints, thanks for the response.

12. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Yes DRW Im aware why you posted it and am glad you did....