1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4WD Behaviour

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Andrew.r.w, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Andrew.r.w

Andrew.r.w Member

I used 4X4 mode (extra low) today for the first time since just after I got the truck, and it behaved strangely. I thought I would seek the wisdom of the hive mind for thoughts.

When you put this thing in Ex-Low it automatically goes into 4x4. This works fine. I maneuvered into position as needed and shifted into 1st as soon as I didn't need 4x4 or low any more. There was a lot of drag in the drive mechanism, and it felt like something was jamming or binding. I eased back, then fwd, then back again, and finally there was a significant "thump" and all is well again.

Anyone know what this is? Is it common? I was turning tightly at the time I was in ex-low and still turning a lot when I shifted to 1st. The thump that released it happened after a few seconds of straight back and forth. The thump was kinda ugly. It sounded like I was really straining something there.

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I think it can take a few seconds/feet to actually disengage the 4WD, and there will be a noticeable "thump" when it kicks out (usually).

I would also suggest getting it pointed in a straight line before engaging/disengaging 4WD. Due to the extreme angles the tires can turn, it can put a lot of stress on the front drive components (try doing tight circles on dry pavement in 4WD and 2WD) and possibly jam it up a bit. Once you straighten out and shift into 1st, it shouldn't be more than 10 feet or so before you hear/feel it disengage and the light will go out and you're back to 2WD.

Just a note, the 4WD solenoid shares a fuse with the fuel pump.