1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 2 cents worth

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by ltcnav, Jun 28, 2011.

1. ltcnav

ltcnav New Member

Hi,
    Have a 90 Mitsubishi, have owned for about 5-6 years. Ran great for the first 4 years(only changed the starter-easy to find on these sites). Then about1 years ago, started fouling plugs, speed would bottom out about 25 mph, blowing white smoke and carbon. Changed out everything(plugs, wires, dist cap/rotor, filters, etc. cleaned carb real well. Ran great for about 6 months, same symptoms again. Took to a real mechanic for compression check, checked out good. He said the tuneup parts were crap, cheap Chinese. Dist cap/rotor bad contacts(misalingned, etc)wires were crappy, etc. Located a site (in OK) whose homepage advertised OEM Mitsubishi parts, got those installed. Mechanic said waay better parts. Runs like a top now. Will see how long it lasts, but I'm confident.
    So, if replacing tuneup parts, I advise going for OEM!
    Jerry
    ps site with OEM was Superminitrucks, Tishimongo, OK

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Good tip. Thanks for posting it!

3. tombsycles

tombsycles New Member

So... finding no place to post a new thread... here we go.
    Bought a 1993 Suzuki Carry in Canada.
    Seller had a new-looking Chinese knock-off carb installed, which only ran at fast idle... so long as the throttle was continuously being pumped.
    Seller tells me it's just a vacuum hose issue... which it clearly is not.
    On-line information found is reserved to original carbs, which are nothing close to this model, short of 2 vacuum ports.
    Compression test shows 90-100.
    All the vacuum hoses and choke control/vacuum control valves were removed from the replacement carb... arrived in a plastic bag of parts, along with the seized original Mikuni carb, which does not whatsoever resemble the original's adjustments.
    Included were a pile of vacuum hoses with relay valves.
    Given this mess, I searched everywhere I could find, on how to tune one of these Chinese carbs, sold as replacement.
    Bend this, feeler gauge that... the results after a month? Zero.
    I cannot understand who would build a carb with 3 "interconnected" idle adjustments, as this model appears to have.
    No intake manifold or carb flange leaks... starts once... next try... floods the engine.
    New NGK plugs and wires.
    Distributor cap and rotor were packaged in OEM Suzuki boxes, with Mazda part numbers on the plastic bags contained inside their boxes... bag opened... they have Mitsubishi emblems on the cap and rotor.
    3 spark plugs, plug wire set, distributor cap, and rotor, cost me a paltry $350.00 plus tax, from the only place that has parts around here... the dealer who imports them.
    Help please, before I decide to manufacture a harness, put hoops over the box, cover the hoops with a tarp, and enter this vehicle in next year's horse-drawn chuck-wagon races in the 2014 Calgary Stampede!
    Interestingly, the importing dealer asked for a report as to how I made out in this adventure.
    I safely guess, they're flying by the seat of their pants as well.
    It's got me whipped!

4. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

You have a mess there.For the best info go to the Suzuki section and look at a thread titled "Desperately need tuning help".There are several other threads there t5o learn from.Your best bet would probably be to contact Don at Yokohama Motors for the right carb.,around $325-$350,and ask him for a diagram for the correct vacuum routing.From your VIN he can tell you pretty much what you need.
    Next time you go by that dealer leave your money home as he seems to be addicted to it.
    Your compression is a little low but that isn't what is causing your current problems. I checked my '95 yesterday and it was 175,165,&185 psi.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013