1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Radio Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by SpikeFiend, Jul 30, 2011.

1. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I recently got around to replacing the old AM radio with something a little more sophisticated. I was leaning towards the XR4110 from Sonic Electronix, but the lack of a time display bothered me. When I checked their website I noticed they had a new mechless radio that hada built in clock, the Boss 612UA.

Note: Now they have an even larger selection of mechless radios.

It's not perfect (the clock isn't always visible, you have to press and hold the mode button to show it...too short a press and it cuts out the radio) but for the price it's pretty darn good.

I've made up an installation guide .pdf for any one who's interested.

The radio fuse blew once after installation, which is strange as I've heard of this happening in several other installations. I suspect that the fuses that came from Japan might be a slightly different type from what we typically get here (i.e. very fast blow vs fast blow). Not really sure, but it's only happened once!

Attached Files:

Wire Fox, Drain and greg0187 like this.
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

excellent write up:)...I find the dual xr4110 a bit finicky..it has a habit of losing all it's settings once in a while when the truck is started (preset radio stations and bass/treble etc. revert to 0) ..kind of a pisser when it happens about once a month..seems to be a problem with this model...have you noticed the same with yours?...thanks for the write up again:)

3. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I haven't noticed any loss of settings yet, it's been in there about 3 months or so.

I'm going to try and do a write up for anything I do on this truck and post it here. It seems like everything is pretty simple but there's a knack to it sometimes, and I usually do it wrong the first time around!

Henryrose likes this.
  4. Jav

Jav New Member

Nice write up! Please buy a newer Sambar and do same, so i have instructions..... ;)

5. Shedhunter

Shedhunter New Member

can you not purchase any low cost radio to swap out factory? maybe one with an IPOD hook up but no CD or tape deck

6. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Depends on what model of minitruck you have...the Daihatsus have an extremely shallow mounting area where the stock radio is located...any tape deck or c/d player from the factory was mounted in a separate unit on top of the dash from the factory...other makes can fit a normal single din deck

7. bumbo

bumbo New Member

93 Samba face plate

Hi everyone, I am looking for a face plate for my 93 Samba. Does anyone has one that they are not using? Will buy it from you. Thanks. :D

8. theamonda

theamonda New Member

hey quick question: when you are buying the justy wiring harness... would you match the years up accordingly? justy harness from 89-94 would then likely be suffice for my 93 sambar?

9. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I did it that way. I would assume that would be a safe bet, but I didn't have any way to verify that it would work. The harness was free when ordering the radio from Sonic, so I wasn't going to feel too bad about it not working (though that would have meant more work for me).

10. theamonda

theamonda New Member

thanks for the tip! thinking it will work. cheers

11. miro

miro New Member

Have anybody tried the same for the Mitsubishi Minicab Van? Its dashboard panel with the radio and heat controls looks very similar or the same in the Sambar.

12. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

@miro you should ask that question in the Minicab section of the forum, instead of bumping a 3 year old thread for another model...

13. neller

neller Member

just a quick comment on this old post ... this installation guide for Sambar radio change-over is great ! Thanks for taking the time to produce an excellent step-by-step guide . Much appreciated !

14. 6277brent

6277brent New Member

Great post, new radio works perfect thanks to you. Thanks

15. Drain

Drain Supporting Moderator Supporting Moderator Supporting Member

I'm about to embark on this quest myself and OPs guide is more than I could ask for! Thank you so much!

This is my first post btw :)

16. Drain

Alright so here's my build, some of these were automatically added to the order because Crutchfield is awesome.

Head Unit - Jensen MPR2121 - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110MPR2121/Jensen-MPR2121.html?omnews=17502883
    Speakers - Pioneer TS-G460 - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSG460/Pioneer-TS-G460.html?omnews=17502883
    Antenna - Metra 44-EC18 - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044EC18/Metra-44-EC18-Antenna-Extension-Cable.html?omnews=17502883
    Connectors - 1989-94 Subaru - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701780/Metra-70-1780-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?omnews=17502883
    Speaker Connectors - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120729300/Metra-72-9300-Speaker-Harness.html?omnews=17502883
    Clips - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120HWP0001/Metra-HWP-0001.html?omnews=17502883

I bent the clips on the Jensen bracket to allow the head unit to just slide out.
    [​IMG]

I followed OPs guide as far as wiring goes, soldered all connections I could and used the 1992 Subaru Justy connectors.
    [​IMG]

Sambar w/ Jensen bracket.
    [​IMG]

For the mount I riveted (blue circles) the Jensen frame to the left and right Sambar brackets. I did have to drill some holes.
    [​IMG]

Smoke test and making sure sound comes out.
    [​IMG]

I opened the face plate up using a sharp chisel and it worked perfect and left a very clean edge. Install the brackets, then face plate and then the head unit slides in last.
    [​IMG]

17. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Looks good! Does the Jensen radio not have the screw holes on the side like a normal DIN radio? I haven't seen the sliding metal bracket used on a normal DIN car before...

Drain likes this.
  18. Drain

They're there, but they didn't line up for where I needed them. And the Jensen faceplate and frame doesn't come off, so I'd have to install it super deep to clear the Sambar cover or just slide the head unit in last.

19. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

huh, that is interesting. That isn't the first radio I've heard of where the trim ring does not come off. I wonder why these manufacturers are doing that as it causes issues with all of the DIN standard vehicles like these.

20. Drain

Probably money, also bumping this thread for all the new owners I see on FB etc.