1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cushman

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by barneyrb, Feb 25, 2008.

1. barneyrb

barneyrb Member

A manufacturing plant I do service work for is getting rid of a Cushman kei truck. It is rusted out pretty bad but runs great. 2wd nothing fancy. Any idea who made this and if it has a 660 or 997 engine in it. It is rusted so bad the people who drove it would get wet with the doors shut.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Those were called the (white truck) and were sold by Textron in the Jacobsen/ez-go golf dealerships. I had one in service for about 4 yrs 2000-2004 i remember it being 4-cylinder but can't recall exactly who was involved in its production. I think it had CMC references in a few places. (China Motors Co.??)but, i could be way off here... The manual choke (operator error) and electronic governor (driven to its limits)fouled plugs on it chronicly.

3. Dan

Dan Member

The engine was a 4g82 from mitsubishi in the one i had.

4. slimbad

slimbad Member

Cushman (CMC)

Dan, good call on the abbreviation (China Motor Corporation) . I guess they are still making them. I saw a 2007 Cushman on "T & T Repairables" website (couldn't get the link to post for some reason).

My B-inlaw scarfed up on another cushman white van for me. I don't know if it runs or not, it has the transmission out and in the back of the van. It has the 4G82 4cyl (I think) I know it's a four cyl anyway. I haven't had a chance to fully inspect it, but can't see any spec plates on it to verify 4G82. The transmission shifter looks to be a 5-spd with 4th and 5th locked out. It is a lefty with the typical gov setup. Has the spedo double marked in kph/mph (up to 30) with gov light. Was wondering if the 4G82 would swap out with my 3G81 in my 4wd?

I checked out your videos (about time you got a chance to go out and play on them) - might need to break out the welder and get some more traction..........later, slim

5. Dan

Dan Member

dont know if it runs or not? i would hazzard a guess and say probably not. LOL there are better places for the transmission to be than the back of the van.:D do you have any of the books for it? i have one of them that was mixed up in the mitsu stuff. i'll dig it up and see which one it is. theirs were broken down by systems. i'll let you know what i find. i've never really compared them to eachother for changeability. that would be sweeet if it is swappable.

6. golfcartguy

golfcartguy New Member

How do I see the videos?

7. Dan

Dan Member

8. DanT

DanT New Member

Cushman White Van CMC

I just bought one of these CMC White Vans and was hoping someone would know how to bypass the speed limeter on it 22 mph just aint gettin it!!!! My model year is a 1997. Its new with only 24 miles on the speedo. Been sitting in a nice dry warehouse for the last 10 years :) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan T

9. DanT

DanT New Member

Does anyone know of anyway to bypass the speed limeter? Thanks

10. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

11. Dan

Dan Member

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=1742&highlight=cushman

To bypass the rpm's and the speedo, you'll have to replace the ignitor box, and wire the fuel relay separately, I used a msd and another member here used something form an old mopar which was much cheaper. I'll see if i can find the site he referred to and post it too. Mitsubishi was very clever with their ignition system and i finally gave up on trying to figure it out and yanked it.
    Dan

12. DanT

DanT New Member

Thanks a bunch Dan. Man you would think it was FBI Top Secret stuff huh. I tried unhooking the speedo and that didnt work and thought about putting stiffer springs on the governor in the distributor but a mechanic friend of mine said that the governor didn't control the speed so gave up on that. I think I will look into changing the ignitor box as you did. Hope you found the site with the mopar info. I just changed my 383 Mopar to a MSD system and have all the Mopar stuff left over. Thanks Again, DanT

13. Dan

Dan Member

shhhh they might be watching....

and i know the moderators used to frown on the gov threads until the trucks hit the roads. check this site for the basics of an ignition conversion. and remember to disconnect everything else from the coil and the fuel relay will need to be wired separately.

http://www.gofastforless.com/ignition/electronic.htm

Thanks to member "me3" for the site!!

search the mitsubishi threads for more details

Dan

14. Turfspray

Turfspray New Member

Does the engine rev up in lower gears but dies back at speed (25mph)?
    I had a unit that had a speed sensor on the spedo cable back by the trans. If you unplugged it it knew it because it had a looped jumper in the plug. I unplugged it and used a paper clip to jump it. After iIfound out how to do it I made it permenant

15. jmlanda

jmlanda New Member

Hey,
    I need some help here. I'm trying to find a carburetor rebuild kit for a Cushman mini truck 1990 4 cyl. Could somebody tell me where to find it? Thanks,

16. Turfspray

Turfspray New Member

Clarify you unit. Mini truck? Dahatsu ? 3 cyl? Truckster. I worked with the truckster alot.

17. jmlanda

jmlanda New Member

I have a Cushman Mini Truck, it is a Mitsubishi engine 4g82 and the carburetor is mikuni

18. koma2006

koma2006 New Member

Have you ever found a rebuild kit for the carb?

19. Ryguymod41

Ryguymod41 New Member

Any of u guys still talk on here? I just picked up a cushman white truck and I’m trying to chase all my vacuum lines to where they go on the carb...any pics or help be great

20. MTCushman

MTCushman New Member

G&R imports has all the parts you need for your Cushman... If they don't have in stock they can order from China/Japan.

21. Jagged

Jagged New Member

I am considering swapping out my carburetor. The idea of getting away from the emissions and some vacuum lines is appealing. Did you end up replacing yours. I am interested in knowing how it worked out for you if you did. Thanks