1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof Rack/ Tire Mount

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by dwlb, Nov 6, 2011.

1. dwlb

dwlb Member

I built a roof basket to carry a spare tire and mount three lights,third brake light (led). The basket is bolted to ladder rack behind cab and overall height is 78". I also up graded back up lights to leds. Rack and bumper mounted leds are so good you do not need to turn on headlights. Doug

Attached Files:

2. axle

axle Member

very nice and neat:)

3. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Looks good dwlb ! Curious, is the rack only held up by the ladder rack behind the cab ? If so, it seems like that would maybe move some or vibrate :confused: Or maybe it is just very strong or I'm missing something. (Wouldn't be the first time) :)

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

excellent...nice bright LED lights..where did you find them?

5. dwlb

dwlb Member

The rack is made from 1" sq. tubing with 1 1/2" angle welded to bottom back of rack, the angle is bolted with 3 3/8" bolts to top bar of ladder rack. There are 2 18" supports from back side of basket to bottom crossbar of ladder rack where they are bolted through bottom crossbar to a 50" piece of 1" sq. tube that run between ladder rack and cab , it is full width of ladder rack. The 2 1" round bars at ends of tool box bolt to bed floor and though bottom crossbar and 50" sq. tube. I had to put spacers between 18" supports and bottom crossbar to get basket to sit level. The rack is solid, no vibrations on lights over a 6 mile run at night. Doug

Attached Files:

Ironraven likes this.
  6. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

NICE looking truck! Very well done :cool:

7. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Still don't totally get it, but sounds like you more than handled it. Would love some more close up pics showing details I can't seem to comprehend. I kind of want to copy :)

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

looks good. psilin (crap forget how to spell his nick name) had a rack on the cab of his liteace and it was cool but killed his mileage, he put a small air scoop on the front and it remedy'ed it

9. dwlb

dwlb Member

I am a 100 miles from truck . Hope this photo helps. Doug

Attached Files:

10. dwlb

dwlb Member

On the trails I never get past 2nd gear , so mileage is not great anyways. If I was concerned with getting the best mileage I could I would have to replace my daily driver ( not happening ).:) Doug

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  11. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Thanks dwlb,
    If all mounting items are viewable in the picture you penciled on (cool by the way) I am still confused. No matter how strong I still don't see how the rack can extend over the cab that far with only being attached in the back and not vibrate, jiggle something :confused:

12. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

nice 3rd brake light!

13. dwlb

dwlb Member

Thanks I rescued it from the spoiler on a Chevy at wreckers. Doug

14. dwlb

dwlb Member

The 18" supports are welded to top of basket and angle iron at bottom of basket. The angle is bolted to top of ladder rack . The ladder rack is bolted to truck in 4 places and 18" uprights are bolted with 50" brace almost in line with bottom bolts for ladder rack. If I pull on basket the whole truck moves, it supports weight tire and lights ok. I did not design it to be able to carry more than about 50 pounds,if you want to carry more the front edge of basket has to be supported. Doug

15. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Now I think I'm getting it. Now I'm thinking the "down tubes" are welded to rack and you could unbolt whole upper rack by bolts thru angle and bottom of "down tubes" (which would stay attached to upper rack assembly) Supporting the front edge was what I was wondering about, but with your design and not more than the 50lbs. I could see how it works (looks cool by the way)
    I wonder how a guy could support front edge for more weight........
    Thanks for your time Doug :)
    Jesse

16. dwlb

dwlb Member

You are right, the down tubes and top rack are welded into 1 piece, the 50" brace and 1" round tubes connect the whole thing to the floor of truck. To support front of you can put two small feet under front corners or I toyed with running 1" tubing from front edge to my bush guard. I didn't because for my needs it would overkill. The rack and down tube assembly weight about 60 lbs. Doug

17. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

Cool truck,!,, what did u use for fender flairs?????

18. dwlb

dwlb Member

The flairs are from Pacer High Performance and are flush mount Flexy Flairs. I used a 2 piece kit (54") to do my truck. Doug

19. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

OK.. thanks I will check it out
    Wedge

20. Papagator

Papagator Member

dwlb

Great looking Truck!

Dont want to highjack the thread, but how is your Front Brushguard mounted...welded or bolted to the Frame? Love to see a picture.....looking for a way to put a front receiver on mine.

Pat

21. dwlb

dwlb Member

The reciever is bolted on then the brushguard bolts to reciever. I made brushguard removable to be able to get to rad. I reworked reciever 3x to get to where it is now, when it was under under truck I was banging on rocks on trails. Doug

Attached Files:

22. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

Thanks for the pictures Doug. I will be replicating your design. Best I've seen so far.
    Tony Radium Hot springs BC

23. Jester3775

Jester3775 Member

Wow dwlb, that really looks awesome ! Thanks for replying to thread Tony, I then got notified (I am subscribed to this thread) and got to see pictures. Not sure how I missed back in 2012 but am glad I got to see.