1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of frame?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by vanbdan, Mar 11, 2008.

1. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

Hi gang,I am new to the forum,from Southern Ontario Canada,and have seen a few mini's around Toronto,and the area.I believe I have worked next door to the owner of Kei-cars here on the board as well,as there were several in the driveway,and in the garage of the home.I am also a fan of Suzuki trucks,having owned a few sj410's,and Samurai's and a few sidekicks too.Anyway to the point...are the Carry van's and trucks unibody,or full frame,or a combo ?I would like to put the drive train from my Swift gtne,with Samurai axles under it.

2. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

3. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

Thank's for the welcome,and for editing my title.:eek:

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. You'll find that the trucks are uni-body.

-Greg

5. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

Oh well,I still would like one .Thanks for the fast reply.

6. Colin

Colin Member

Wait, what? :confused:

7. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

So,ok,now we are not sure?Can someone post a pic of underneath?

8. slimbad

slimbad Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but my 94 Mits has a full frame . The actual frame rails are similar to a standard pickup. I have been considering an engine swap myself (spare 1.0l geo metro engine). later......slim

9. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

Ok,is it just the carry's that are unibody?

10. slimbad

slimbad Member

Frame

Maybe this will help....slim

Attached Files:

11. greg0187

slim your pic only shows components before they are welded together and is entitled "Body Construction Charateristics". I can't speak for them all but have seen a few and the rear section of the frame appears to be separate (The bed floor is bolted to it) but I cannot unbolt the Cab from the frame.
    -Greg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  12. Colin

Colin Member

It's still just a modified ladder frame. :sly:

13. greg0187

Colin, I agree with that. Its the closest your gonna get to a subframe in uni-body form. Its made from stamped sheet metal. I just didn't want anyone getting excited about a full sub frame.

-Greg

14. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

Greg is correct with his description. I know on a Suzuki and Daihatsu (and nearly certain on a Mitsubishi) the frame is not a seperate component from the cab. The bed can be removed the same way as on a conventional truck, but the cab is basically a uni-boby construction. The frame members are formed sheet metal integrated into the cab weldment. Based on vanbdan's original post, he is interested in putting running gear from a Swift and Samurai under a Carry. I believe this could be done, but a subframe would need to built under the cab for supporting the springs. Or at least some substantial mounting plates built to attach the hangers. Actually the rear frame section is only sheet metal (maybe 11 ga.) and I would feel better about beefing it up also if I were adding heavier duty running gear.

I think it is an interesting idea!

15. Colin

Colin Member

I crawled under the Sambar today and it looks like the cab can be unbolted.

16. greg0187

That sucks! I wish mine unbolted. The Subaru was the only model I have not had a close look at. I'm surprised no one has done a body lift on those yet. Is the frame made from stamped sheet metal?

-Greg

17. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

Without seeing it,as I don't own ...yet:(,I still dont think that building a frame under this truck,with beffier axles,which I have access to,and a bigger drivetrain would be that difficult.Now to just get some money.

18. Colin

Colin Member

vanbdan - that's my thinking, too. I'd like to find another truck body to build at my leisure (read: it will never get done) and fabricate a simple ladder frame from square or rectangular tubing, using a VW turbodiesel engine and a four-linked rear axle with coilovers. :D

Maybe a pipe dream, since I'm already ***-deep in my Merkur project. :(

Yes.

19. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

Hey Vanbdan,

My home is in Burlington, but my shop is in Kitchener. If you ever want, you can come by the shop and check out the frame yourself.. I have a Subaru and a Suzuki

Chris

20. vanbdan

vanbdan New Member

Hi misterturbo...I thought you must have lived in Vaughan,as I was next door to a house that had several kei cars parked there,including some from your listings.I would really like to get to your shop this spring/summer,and will give you an e-mail when I am coming.

21. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

No problem. Feel free to send me and email and come pay us a visit sometime!

Chris

22. Colin

Colin Member

Well, shucks. I guess the time for that project has come. :frustration:

23. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yes, its true, you can unbolt the subie cab from the frame. But alas the suzuki is welded on.

24. Moon Dog

Moon Dog New Member

I have a left hand drive Suzuki carry DA62T here in the Philippines, probably a 2002 model (but titled as a 2022). It has a full frame, the bed is bolted on and the cab is welded on.

Attached Files: