1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mad Mazie Build

Discussion in 'Performance' started by firejonny89, Aug 7, 2012.

1. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Small up date been busy help a buddy with his wedding. But a good note the mount plate is almost done. I'll post a picture tomorrow when I resize it only bad thig is the guy making it is on vacation this week so it will be finished next week along with the shaft resizing if he can do that and the tubular piece out of aluminum that's all he had that size should work just fine for what it's doing. Oh he is also sizing the shaft coupler beings I got one that needed milled to the right size he is going to do that once he gets back to work also. Just waiting on the parts to be finished so I can start doing something again I am getting bored with little to do until I get some parts back I can't make anything else till those get back to get the sizes right. Oh hey spaner I think he told me the mount plate for the s/c was gonna run me 150 ish if I remember right it's great have friends that work at a mill shop. I'll have to make sure a case of cold ones show up at is door for it thou small price if u ask me. That's all for now once I get something back ill post so more.

2. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

3. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Pretty awsome:cool:

4. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

I know right looks pretty dang good to me. How's ur bird hunting going for ya there spaner. And would u happen to know anywhere I could find a locking rear end whole unit? I've tried g&r a few times but no luck yet.

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

To me this was the best part; making stuff, and figuring stuff out too, is really fun. Like an M6 through @ 6.4mm, 1/4" bit...6.35..stuff like that. Yea, the truck is boosted, but the building is super fun.

I have seen a few times off ebay, companies in both the middle east and pacific rim that buy all of Japan's wrecks and such. Pictures of huge yards of engines and drive components of all makes and models. You'd have to search but I know that there are a few at least that would have just about anything.

6. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Sweet of to search the never end net for it.

7. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Picture update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He even went as far as to order me new bolts. He still has it and won't get to the shaft and the shaft coupler till next week but hey I can't say anything it's way less than I had planed for so he can take his time.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Orgasmic...I just love the way ideas come together to become parts, and then the parts come together to become components. I could look at that all day, almost seamless...
    :pop:

I'm interested to know what your buddy has said about you're build. He must have used the word cool a few times. BTW, my guy used his "thread cutter" to mill the shaft. Don't know if that helps you any but I do remember him saying that the shaft was hard as shite and that, that was what he used to mill it to spec. I don't even know what it is but it came out perfect.
    Also, he did cut the base of the shaft off first with a chop saw. A machine shop grade unit I'm sure, but he said that it was cut to within 1mm of spec, and then the base was milled down without much trouble. The coupler base was a little harder but not too bad. It was only the bearing mount that was super hard and needed to be done with the "thread cutter".

9. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Sweet all pass that along and was was just kinda like ur gonna what to a what lol

10. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Only on Friday nights:p

11. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Not much to report still awaiting parts to come back. Was hoping to have been a lot farther along but I have lots of time.

12. XtremeMini

XtremeMini Member

Very interesting project guys, great work....Looking forward to more.

13. Ran440

Ran440 Member

These are the pics you wanted. If they're not showing exactly what you need just let me know. Sorry about all the dirt and gunk, but this is a work truck / daily driver. axle lock 003.JPG axle lock 004.JPG axle lock 005.JPG axle lock 002.JPG axle lock 001.JPG

14. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

They should do just fine thank you

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Nice when you can just lift the box..:)
    Looks like mine, I remember seeing those brake hoses and go'in..what?..what??...huh.
    It's just a pull-on pull-off though, you don't have to get that complicated.
    How bou't the axle shafts? Are they swapable...now there's a question.

16. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

If someone had axle shafts from a diff lock yes they should swap out. Non diff lock to diff lock no they prolly won't or should not

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I was figuring you'd consider it, cu'z the bolt pattern..:confused:

18. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Yea thought about it when I found one a long time ago that was the wrong bolt pattern I asked one time and was told a non diff lock should not be able to swap out. Only diff lock to diff lock or non to non so I've been told but I will look into it that's for sure.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  19. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Ok undate I got the parts back from my friend he was unable to do the shaft and coupler they r set up for aluminum not harder steel. But that's ok there is a place right at 50 min. Drive that should be able to do it no problem. Will be calling them later this week to set up a visit. I did get bored and bolt the mount and clutch unit to the supercharger to see how it will look and make sure it fit ok but forgot to snap a picture befor I unbolted them for storage till the rest is ready. Thanks goes out to Todd for the dist. Mount that I broke and the diff lock rear I ordered. I've been watching them on ups tracking site. Should be at my door tomorrow by end of day. It has already be to Indianapolis and sent out to the local sorting truck branch. Left Indy at 8:22 tonight so should make the truck by morning. Thanks goes out to ran440 for the vac. Hose pictures looks like ill be needed those soon enough.

Only thing I have left to figure out is if my current axle shafts with the 4 on 100 non diff lock wil be able to swap into the diff locking unit ( its 4 on 115 I think) I do remember asking one of the sponsors this a few months ago but for the life of me can't remember for sure what the answer was if anyone has any info or has tried in the past please let me know. Other wise ill be taking them out of each and looking them over to see what the differences are in the two and take a few photos if they r different so everyone can see. That's all for updates I have today maybe ups will bring me an early Christmas present tomorrow :cool:

20. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Parts came in :pop: and the mini lives once again it is up and running I don't think the timing is just right I slapped it together and off of memory I forgot to mark the button location but its pretty darn close for today. Runs fine cold once it's warm it's sounds like a small part time miss like its off a very little bit. Work on it tomorrow I need a nap before work only two hours of sleep.

21. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Beings I now have a clue as the vsv I need I was told by Todd to get a six blade switch not sure way I could just use a three or four blade one hot line in a ground for a light (not needed ) and to hot line leaving one hot in the first Position the other hot in the second position. Don't see y this will not work ill be running the wires new anyways that way I know it's done right and no way for it to short out right away and once it's on it's on no matter what gear

22. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Don't worry, It's not very complicated.
    What do you want the control to do?
    Just a toggle switch? Like, up on, down off>>>and that's it...or what?

23. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

I was thinking a push button would be better going to try to put it near the axle lock but from my understanding it will have to be a switch that is always on no really off normal driving on to the pole that will run to the vacuum switch keeping it unlock and then once pushed it will then put power to the other one but much easier to find a toggle with on and on then a push button I've been looking for about ten mins.

24. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Naw, you don't need that, I meant like if you wanted auto off for ignition off, that kind of thing.

You're going to have both VSVs off, for "no-lock", and both VSVs on, for "locked".
    The vacuum control is pull on and pull off, with a dump to atmo, not too hard. I could sketch it out for you if you want.
    BUT, for no "bells and whistles", the electrical is single pwr...you can use any switch you want.

25. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Ohhh well I just figured beings there was two one was for locked and once was for unlocked if both are off for no lock and both on for lock why is there two can't one do the same or is there not enough force with one

26. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

You gotta think of them like relays, you don't control the locked or unlocked, you control the vacuum and atmo "flow".
    You just cross wire them, only with air line routing instead of electrics.
    So, when pwr is off (to both), one of the VSVs feeds atmo, the other feeds vacuum....side A, side B.
    When pwr is on, they "flip-flop".
    Power is only applied sometimes, vacuum is always applied.

27. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Ok ya lost me but I've had no sleep so don't worry about it ill go back over it to,or row once I'm awake lol I do get no power for unlock and power for lock but that's where it stops tonight almost 20 hours at this point in my day and have just over six left my brain is toast lol but thanks for trying ill just read it tomorrow.

28. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

After reading again and looking at the photo I'm pretty sure I get what ur saying one is pulling vac and the other is like a breather line am I in the same ball park?

29. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, you got it. Hard to explain in a text format. Think of it this way.
    Each VSV has 3 vac connections.
    A, B and C
    B and C switch to A or blocked, depending on power. One is blocked while the other goes to A.
    A goes to the locker. X2
    VSV 1, B goes to vac, C goes to atmo
    VSV 2, C goes to vac, B goes to atmo

No pwr, one vsv feeds vacuum to one side of the controller, while the other VSV feeds atmo to the other side of the controller.
    Pwr is applied and they flip-flop. With out atmo on one side, vacuum will not pull it over. That's why you need two.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  30. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Nice reason for your edit it hit as I posted my first one and was looking at the photo they back feed each other. And the atmo. Line goes into the frame rail or to a filter? I'm guessing that would be ok I remember reading on the other thread something about a vacuum line pushed into the frame but that's all for another day I still have to break it down clean and paint befor it goes anywhere.