1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gsxr subaru sambar engine conversion build pics

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Carl Swaby, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

IMG00485-20111219-1056.jpg IMG00492-20111222-1213.jpg IMG00513-20120110-1106.jpg IMG00524-20120116-1258.jpg IMG00574-20120317-1506.jpg IMG-20120521-00063.jpg IMG-20120521-00065.jpg IMG-20120527-00079.jpg IMG-20120527-00081.jpg

Hi All. Here are some more pics of the GSXR Build. I just wanted to start a new thread with just the GSXR build...For those of you that would like to do a motorcycle engine swap...take a look.

I think my next build will be a Honda Acty 4-Wheel Drive. I just have to find one with a blown motor.

I drive my truck about 3x/week. Not bad on fuel. Yesterday I tried something new as I drove on one of the construction sites that we are on. I did 12x 360
    with my friend inside. I managed to muster up the courage to try it.

Enjoy the pics! IMG00484-20111219-1049.jpg

2. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

3. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

4. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

very cool...any vids of it in action ?

6. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

sounds awesome....nice work :)

8. Not feeling the chain drive. The idea of pulling a truck along with a chain is scary! I could see sticking the engine sideways and connecting a drive shaft to the engine's output shaft, but chain, no way.

9. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Well, I like it for what it is. A lot of 930 parts there, and seems to be the norm for southern cal. Basically a drive frame welded to a riding frame. I'm sure it was a lot of work, and it looks pretty bullet proof to me.
    It's not my kind of build but, that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate the work involved.

I'd love to see an r1 bolted to a 4x4 tranny-mating face plate, but I think that this is the closest to that, that you will ever see. There is a custom razor out there though...Fa, fa, fast...

10. There's no denying the quality of the work. Damned well executed.

11. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Good lord that sounds wicked. Nice job!

12. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

So, you propose turning the engine sideways and connecting it to the existing drive shaft attached to the rear differential.

If you download an image of a Subaru Sambar under carriage, you will see clearly that the S. Sambar motor sits over the rear drive shaft with the transmission attached to the motor. This is also a 2-wheel drive truck. Where would the rear wheel differential come from to make this possible? This build took an entire year ...the differential is a Quaiffe Sprocket Differential...it is made for motorcycle powered race cars..way more heavier and way faster...the sprocket has been changed to a 530 sprocket to accommodate a 530 chain...The truck is like a wheel barrow. 2 of us can lift the back up with no problem. I think if it were the Honda or Suzuki version, without a doubt your option would work and I would do that in a heartbeat..would save me a whole lot of time and money!

13. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Thanks alot!!

14. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

15. 3banger

3banger Member

This guy makes a reverse box that can handle 500hp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBkN3CdBtOU $1100 though!? WTF?

It might still be worth it to me though.

If a motorbike engine was mounted with the sprocket facing back... does it spin the same direction as the flywheel of a Subaru (or minicab!)? I'm working overseas and can't look at my engine run.

Help?

16. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Hi..if the motorcycle engine sprocket is facing the rear of the truck , it would be rotating clockwise...so, it would be rotating in the right direction..The problem with the Subaru Sambar is that the engine is sitting over the rear wheel. Mine was a 2-wheel drive. the transmission is bolted to the engine which is normal and then the 2 drive shafts come out which go right into the 2 rear wheels. Trying to put a reverse box such as you suggested earlier, would be almost impossible to work. I have been through all that! Ideally, I would have loved to incorporate this. If it was a Suzuki or Honda version of the truck, you have the rear differential and then you have the drive shaft going into it...so , you can turn the engine facing toward the drive shaft and use a coupler from the output shaft to the drive shaft of the truck..that would have made my life so much easier. That was not the case with the Sambar. However, my next Kia truck will be with the Hyabusa engine and it will be 4 wheel drive. I now have reverse incorporated within the Sambar. We were tossing around ideas of using a fly wheel with a starter. you would have a push button to enable the truck to reverse. we put the idea to production and i was amazed at how well it worked. It is the perfect speed and it does an amazing job. I will put the truck up for sale soon. Reliability is unbelievabale with this motor. Gas consumptions is amazing- Hope this helps.

17. Borg

Borg Member

I want to come check that thing out before you sell it. PM me, lets figure out a time and day.

18. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Did an engine swap on a 1300cc Yamaha Vmax a few years ago. Thought it was the perfect match for a Kei truck.. being drive shaft driven.

19. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Here are some new pics...Just changed the rims today--13" rotor wheels with stretch tires. GetAttachment.jpg Truck1.jpg Truck2.jpg Truck3.jpg Thinking of putting it up for SALE...time for a new build!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  20. little pebble

little pebble Member

Hey Carl

Cool truck and since your unto modding and probably gave it some thought would a imprezza engine set up fit in the sambar chassis?

once again cool truck can't wait to see the acty

21. little pebble

little pebble Member

you put a vmax engine in a k-truck?

22. Carl Swaby

Carl Swaby Member

Gsxr sambar

SAMBAR 3.jpg SAMBAR 4.jpg SAMBAR 1.jpg SAMBAR 2.jpg hi all. My subaru sambar is up for sale. Since i have built this truck i have been driving it alot. No issues since conversion which is what i wanted. Unfortunately the time has come for me to let it go as i would like to build something else. You can look at the build thread and see the stages we went through as it was being built.
    I currently drive it 2x / week. Don't get a chance to take it as much as i would like as i am busy with work. I recently took it out to hensall ..it was an amazing drive.
    I am looking for 12k with rims. These rims were imported from england. They are rotor rims 13" with stretch tires. You already know the truck has a gsxr 750 engine. Very, very reliable. 6 speed. SAMBAR 1.jpg SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY: 647-456-2013 CARL

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  23. Wow, I know this thread is old but I'm fairly new to the mini truck life, but I love it. I just feel you definitely deserve a great job comment. Wow, that is amazing, did you get your Suzuki build?

24. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

"wow"! I feel so bad, because I won't be able to do something even close to mine like what you did/do. I like the mini trucks, but now I'm feeling that now I'm stuck with a underpowered go cart that I can't take on the street!
    anybody want to buy my 92,4speed,Daihatsu hijet when I pick it up on the 16th of February? odometer says almost 15,000 klms but I know it's probably more like 115,000.