1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 Mitsu won't idle HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Kmart, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Kmart

Kmart New Member

My '93 Mitsu sat up for a while with a dead battery. I replaced the battery & it took a long time to get it cranked. It turned over for about 30minutes before I finally got it going.
    Now to get it started I have to pump the accelerator pedal quite a few times to get it cranked. While driving, I have to continually pump the accelerator pedal to keep it going or it will go dead.

Is this a carb issue? Fuel Pump?

I am not much of a mechanic. I can clean carbs on small engines to get them running but I have never had any experience with a fuel pump or anything like that.

2. Jonnybilt

Jonnybilt New Member

Yeah problems prob gonna be in the carb ez way to check if the fuel pump is ok take the fuel line off at the carb get a bottle or something to catch the gas and have someone crank it over wile you watch for gas to come out of the hose at a fast rate remember to keep you're hands away from imonate danger because there still will be gas in the carb so it might start on you wile looking at the hoes good news is that you'll know in an instant if the pumps good But I still think its the carb gummed up not a huge task to clean but if you don't feel confident enough I would just bring it to the local motorcycle shop and ask to have it cleaned The carb on a mits is one just like the harley cv so Happy trucking

3. Kmart

Kmart New Member

Still won't run right

Guys, I have drained my gas tank & filled with fresh fuel along with some Seafoam. Still runs rough. I am going to try to remove the Carb for a good cleaning but man, how do you begin to get this sucker removed :frustration:????

See the Picture below: I have a '93 3G83 Mitsu

Mini Truck 003.jpg

4. swampmitsi

swampmitsi New Member

I had the same problem. It ended up being the fuel filter. It was installed backwards and the contamination and particles couldn't be seen.(clear type filter) It wasn't flowing quite well enough at idle and required pumping to start it. My gas was also part of the problem being rusty in color and not very fresh.

5. Kmart

Kmart New Member

I'll have to try to change the Fuel Filter out first. Thanks for the heads up.

6. jwmorris

jwmorris New Member

I am having the same trouble with my 94 Mitsubishi. It starts fine, but once it warms up it will not idle. It runs perfect as long as you keep your foot on the throttle. I changed the fuel filter and put in fresh gas with no change. Does anyone have advice on what to check next?

7. N7MOG

N7MOG Member

Always check the gazzilion vacuum hoses. Many are out of sight and difficult to eye-ball. I have found these to be problematic and would check before a carb tear-down.
    Good luck.
    Bill in Deadwood, SD

8. 3banger

3banger Member

I'm guessing vacuum leak.

9. Pepegrande008

Pepegrande008 New Member

Ok so I would like to revive this thread. My mitsubishi is not wanting to idle at all. I have changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel pump, pulled the carb off and cleaned the accelerated pump, jets, and bowl, checked all the vacuum lines for cracking, but still cannot figure it out.

Any thoughts?

10. Abdullah Gaibie

Abdullah Gaibie New Member

I have a Honda Acty 93 E07A ..... have a similar problem, i found the issue to be with a faulty ignition module, once it gets hot it kills the motor. I've got the new one and I'm having it fitted now. Will keep u updated

11. Pepegrande008

Pepegrande008 New Member

Update, I got it to idle and run fine today by cleaning the upper part of the carb....but it dies after about 15-20 min of running. Think it's that ignition control module?