1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck hazard switch

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Okiefirefighter, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Okiefirefighter

Okiefirefighter New Member

I have a 98 Carry and the hazard switch is stuck, I had to pull the fuse because it wouldn't turn off. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Weak point.
    Mine broke the first week I got the truck, cuz I touched it. Take the covers off use WD40 and be very careful. Don't pull up on it just keep pressing and the covers are off so you can get the 40 into the switch. Then dry it out, then fuse back in.
    Then never touch it again.
    Mine flew off and bounced off the windshield...:)

3. Okiefirefighter

Okiefirefighter New Member

I already did the WD-40 magic. No luck as of yet.
    Thanks though!
    Kevin

4. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Mine is the same way I wanted to see if it worked then I had to beat it to make it stop

5. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Cheap vendor replacements would be nice. I'd order a new one along with needed parts (when and if needed)...if it was cheap...
    I don't know why, but all the Suk hazards are super garbage

6. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Hey I must be luck and yes I'm gonna knock on wood mine still works idk how but it does and yes all Suzuki flashers suck even on the American sold full sized cars they suck too after a few years

7. clayan

clayan New Member

Hey guys, I'm having the same issue. The flasher button was completely gone when I bought the truck, and the flashers and turn signals didnt work at all. Now all of a sudden after several weeks, the flashers start working and it drains the battery. I too have pulled the fuse, but I would like to know if there is a way to cut out the switch completely and get my turn sigs working again. Anyone have any insight to this? Thanks

8. hatch

hatch Member

I had the same problem and did as spaner said and just kept tapping it and ever so gently pulling up and it finally moved. I continued to work it and ever so often i would come behind it with the air compressor to blow it out and WD it again. It will still hang up but all i have to do is bump it and it will pop back up.

9. clayan

clayan New Member

Thanks hatch, will try that when I get home tonight.

10. hatch

hatch Member

Just be sure you dont pull up very hard or like spaner it will explode on you. Happened on my first truck haha.

Also I wonder if you could disconnect battery cable and spray brake clean in it and blow it out. That stuff will evaporate as well. Im sure the sticking is the dust that gets in it and once clean maybe WD it and blow it out and maybe that will fix. Just a thought

By the way is there a relay that runs the flashers?

11. clayan

clayan New Member

Hatch and Spaner, much thanks! I sprayed goof off in the flasher button and got it unstuck by sticking a flat screw driver in the missing button "hole" and worked it loose and popped it up. After that, I fixed the wiring to the tail lights and got the running lights working, but have no brake lights or turn signals. Any thoughts on this?? I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I can find many threads about the turn signals/brake lights on these trucks. Hatch, my flasher relay is right next to the fuse box and I assume this also operates the turn signals? Anyone know if thats correct?

12. hatch

hatch Member

Check and make sure all your fuses are in and good, since mine was stuck, they just removed a fuse to keep it from working. i replaced it and all went back to working

13. clayan

clayan New Member

Hatch, got out working finally, here was the solution.

1.) Checked all fuses, good
    2.) Replaced all 4 tail bulbs, check
    3.) Bought contact cleaner from auto parts store, sprayed into hazard switch and worked up and down approximately 200 times....signals stayed working after 30 times or so
    4.) Jammed penny into hazard switch steering wheel side to keep contexts engaged and hazard switch from moving (hopefully!)

This worked for me, hope this helps others with this issue.

14. hatch

hatch Member

image.jpg
    The culprit (pictured) is a tiny little brass piece that makes the flasher button stay down when its depressed and release once depressed again. I took my flasher assembly all apart yesterday and cleaned and re greased everything only to find it still wouldn't cycle. I just removed this little piece and all works except the flashers which work but do not stay which is no big deal to me. Just thought i would post this for anyone having this issue.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014