1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercharged

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by harry1, Mar 21, 2008.

1. harry1

harry1 New Member

Hi guys, just joined as my wife has just bought a sambar supercharger!! it is a 1994, chassis KV4 and supercharger on the engine, but it does not seem to have the power as like the one that is shown on 'youtube'
    it is an auto and there is no green light that lights up on the dash either, have checked the belts, all seem good, any ideas?

2. Spdracr

Spdracr New Member

My SC doesn't either...

I have seen the youtube video and saw the green light too. I think it is like a boost light. It seemed to light up at the top of the rev's. But mine doesn't have it either but mine is an automatic full time four wheel drive. Who knows..............................

3. Colin

Colin Member

Looks like a shift light or something. :sly:

4. BLES

BLES Member

I haven't seen the video you mention (??) but my '91 does have a light on the right side of the instrument panel that lights up a little icon and the word "Supercharger" when you floor it or if you hit a long steep hill on the highway, etc.
    BLES

5. Colin

Colin Member

Ahh, that must be what it is, then. Is the light in the middle of the little truck icon to the right of the speedometer?

Also... does that thing indicate when you have a door ajar or something? It doesn't do anything in my truck - just an outline of the truck printed on a grey plastic filler panel. :confused:

Is the supercharger on a clutched drive? It's interesting the light would only come on when it's under load.

Colin

6. BLES

BLES Member

Hope this answers your questions.?
    BLES

7. Colin

Colin Member

Alright, thanks.

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Automatics rob power. Compared to a manual shift version, it most likely would be slower, especially since the autos are three speeds.

9. harry1

harry1 New Member

understand a bit more now

Thanks for your replies, having seen the youtube car, i thought there may be somthing wrong, but 3 gears would explain why it goes slow, i guess!
    I do get a strange smell that comes and goes, burning rubber! it is intermittant though! otherwise it does turn heads!

10. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

We have had several auto s/c's. They are decent, but not as good as a manual.

Yes, the green light that lights up in the picture of the truck is the boost indicator. On = boost. At lower RPMs you will not be making boost.

If yours isnt lighting up, you may want to find out why..... burnt out light, bad sensor, bad supercharger or belts or a leak in the intake.

But is should certainly light up, especially during hard accelleration. (Pedal to the metal... does it light up then?)

Jeremy

11. Igzabier

Igzabier New Member

My 94 Sambar van Dias 2 supercharger doesn't light up on dash but I know it's working.

I took a big hill recently and sc cut out dropping speed and torque radically.
    Let it sit an hour and works again!?

Mystery! ...Japanoid says 'huh? Maybe sc computer?'

12. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

The sc can't really "cut out" itself. It's belt driven with no clutch.

Common problems with this type of symptom are the boost sensor, airflow sensor, vac leaks, and yes the computer

I had a porsche 944 turbo that would work fine if you were gentle on it. If you pounder the throttle hard it would cut the fuel off almost instantly and just about throw you out the windshield.

After much pissing around it turned out to be the computer.