Hi, I'm new here. Recently, I came across Kei trucks...I always knew about them, but never thought about them being availible in the US...but they are, and lots of them. So it got me thinking...small but very capable truck, sounds like fun.
After doing some research, I'm confused as to the legality of these things on public roads in Missouri. Just looking on MO mini truck dealer's web sites, some say they aren't legal, others say they are but not on highways. So...are they? I know they can't easily be licensed, which doesn't seem like a big deal to me as I'm a Mazda new car salesman and have a dealer plate I could slap on the thing and drive with atleast a bit of confidence.
I've also read that a lot of these trucks are governed...from what I gather most have a shift blocking plate...is there another way they are governed? Is the shift blocker as simple as it sounds, as it can be removed easily?
Now, onto the truck itself...I'm looking for a Mazda Scrum...yeah yeah, I know it's the same as a Carry, but I'm a Mazda enthusiast so I need the Mazda version. It's just one of those things. From what I gather, the Scrums are pretty rare compared to the Carry.
1. I know some of these are 550CC and some are 660CC...I'd be looking for a 660(Again, driving on the street, I must have as much power as I can so I'd even be looking at mods and possibly turbocharging sometime later). Is there a specific year change from 550 to 660?
2. So some are 4 speeds, some are 5, and some are 6(5 + Extra low)? How common are those 6 speed trucks? I was tracking one on eBay in Arkansas that was the 6 speed but the auction ended "reserve not met".
3. The 4WD system...I've read that some have locking hubs, some have limited slip diffs, some are just 4WD. How can I tell which is which?
4. What is the lug pattern on these trucks? Looking at it they almost look like 4X110(as in 1st gen RX-7 pattern) but others look like the smaller 4X114 like many other Mazdas. Again, using it on the road so it'll have road tires probably bigger diameter than the stock tires for higher top speed(dare I drive it on the highway?).
5. What are the year runs? The trucks I've seen either have a squared dash or round dash, I know the round is newer but how much newer...and the headlights, some are round, some are sqaure, what years?
I think that's it, so far. Can anyone get me a Scrum? To sum it up, I want a 660CC, round headlight style, 4WD 6 speed(or 5 speed), A/C if easily availble.