1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have pics of vacuum lines?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Daner, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Daner

Daner Member

My uncle has been working on his sambar. I don't know the year or engine size. He got a different engine since his old one was knocking. He want's me to come over and help put it in. He said it should be fairly simple and said he just needs to figure out where all the vacuum lines go :p I figured I would try be proactive and hopefully get a diagram or picture before we start guessing.

Thanks in advance

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

VIN# of old
    VIN# of new

You might even be able to come up with a cross-over plan..
    Details man...:p

3. Daner

Daner Member

I'll try track down some details tomorrow. Or today I guess it is. :rolleyes:

4. curiousiam

curiousiam New Member

Hi I am new to the site. Also a new owner of a 98 sambar with a clover engine. Bought it with the carb off. Bought new part but don't have any idea where all the vacuum lines go. Could you help me out with a pic. or a schematic.

5. Daner

Daner Member

I know it has been forever but we just installed the new used engine yesterday. Once we get it running I will take a picture of the vacuum lines and stuff. Luckily most of them were still attached to at least one of their original outlets and they were holding their original shape so it was a matter of reattaching them to where they reached and wanted to go. I guess we will see if it works out.

Unfortunately, I wasn't present when it was all tore apart so I've been doing some guessing with the wires. I think everything is in the right place. There is one that I don't know where it goes. It's maybe a 14 or 16 gauge and has a boot/cover on the end like it should go to the alternator or starter solenoid. This is more of an fyi since I can't give any more information about where it comes from. I will check it out and return with pictures and if I'm lucky some answers.

6. Daner

Daner Member

Firstly, here are a couple pictures.
    View attachment 13231
    View attachment 13232
    View attachment 13233

The last shows the mystery wire. The O connector is too small to fit either the alternator or solenoid. The harness it goes to is the same as several coolant senders and one on the carb which I assume is the electric choke.

7. the pou

the pou Member

I cant open the pictures,it shows (invalid attachment)..

8. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

View attachment 13234

There might be a vacuum line diagram on the underside of the top engine access cover. Attached is the image from my 1991 Sambar (supercharged/fuel injected).

As for the ring lug, it could be a number of things. I don't have the pictures with me, but you can look through my timing belt replacement guide to see some pics of the engine bay. Ground lug for the alternator (pic #4), or oil pressure switch wire (pic #11, or 33) in the timing chain guide are possible candiates.

9. Daner

Daner Member

I'm not sure why my pictures don't work. I'll just post the links to photo bucket.
    http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/daner3/Vehicles/IMG_20140320_143338_851_zpst24twdwm.jpg
    http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/daner3/Vehicles/IMG_20140320_142049_363_zpscq1f7ce1.jpg
    http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n632/daner3/Vehicles/IMG_20140320_140941_001_zpsrtivf7oq.jpg

I looked at your guide and believe I found the wire. It looks exactly like the oil sender wire next to the oil filter. That's a great guide by the way. Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it will start now.

10. Daner

Daner Member

Good news! With that wire connected it will start and run for 2-4 seconds but then it dies. Then you wait a little while and it will do that again. To me it sounds like another sensor is shutting down the fuel flow. It has spark all the time. Any insights would be appreciated.

11. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

As far as I can tell, the oil pressure sensor is only tied to a light on the dash and shouldn't be able to shut down the engine (or prevent it from running). If you pump the gas pedal when you get it turning over, can you keep the engine running? Your idle RPM setting might not be set (and the engine RPM drops too low and stalls out), there should be a post on the forums here with a pic of the idle adjustment screw for a carb'd engine.

Otherwise, I'd suspect a flaky/corroded electrical connection somewhere. A bad battery or alternator connection might do it. If you have a 12V booster battery, see if the truck will start and keep running with that attached. Take a look at this electrical schematic and see if that helps any.

View attachment 13254

12. Smabarwala

Smabarwala New Member

13. Daner

Daner Member

Here is my final followup. I told my uncle to try priming the cylinders since we had good spark. With the key on the pump would pump gas into the carb and out the return. Apparently, the gas wasn't making it into the carb. Now it starts right up. I think this thing is finally all sorted. Thanks everyone for the help.