1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acceleration issues - bogging down

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by new truckguy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. new truckguy

new truckguy New Member

Sometimes it is best to not care too much for your vehicle. I gave my little truck a hose down last week and since then i have been having issues when accelerating. The frustrating thing is it isn"t consistent. Basically it will be accelerating just fine and then at random times will bog down leaving me with half power and a line of cars behind me...not cool. I have tried cleaning and lubing the moving parts around the carb and it seemed to work but today it was at it again. I can sometimes, while driving, work the gas pedal and get the acceleration to catch again and it zooms off normally but it doesn't always work. I think there must be some grit somewhere in the carb washed in with my hose job. One note, every time I hose that area down i have trouble with starting it and it needs to sit for awhile , I have hosed it running and it started up fine afterwards so I try not to get that area too wet, but last time I got carried away. Help! I am getting tired of pissing people off on the roads and being the only mini truck in town everyone knows it is me. Thanks in advance.

2. Daner

Daner Member

Sounds like you have some wet wiring. Maybe some water in the gas? Try throwing some heet in the tank.

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I'm with Daner on the wiring...likely plug wires

Daner likes this.
  4. new truckguy

new truckguy New Member

Thanks guys, interesting that you have suggested this as it is the same comment my friend (who is mechanic) mentioned. He thought i should pull apart all the connections and use an electrical grease on the connections. Originally i thought i might have water in the gas so i drained the tank and got all sorts of crud out of it but i didn't change the filter as it was brand new so yesterday out frustration I changed the fuel filter and I haven't had the bogging down occur today. It mainly happened at higher speeds, and then after slowing down (not by choice) the problem would continue. I was able to feather the gas pedal and sort of work it through but it didn't always work. Thanks for the response fellas this forum makes being a mini truck owner a lot simpler. Couldn't imagine having to fight through my little problems without it.http://www.minitrucktalk.com/images/icons/icon14.png

5. threepot

threepot New Member

I say strip the carb down, bet there is some crud in the main jet.

6. new truckguy

new truckguy New Member

So I thought I had it nailed with the new fuel filter but the timing co-incided with dry weather and as soon as it got wet out the little truck was worse than ever. It then occurred to me that the problem felt exactly like when i had dropped a plug and was running on two cylinders a couple years ago. I had made the rookie mistake of not tightening the lead contact points on the new spark plugs and one of them wiggled loose after a while of driving leaving me running very hot and burning fuel like crazy and only with two cylinders. The other night I took out all the plugs and leads and discovered that I had not clipped one of the lead cables back into their holders properly and it had swung down and touched the exhaust melting the side and exposing its carbon core, another rookie mistake. I have been told that as soon as it got wet the spark was arcing out and i had no function of that plug. Swapped the cable for an old one I had and the truck has been running great since. The real test was yesterday pounding through 12" of slush on the roads and with no issues. So stoked. Thanks for the help everyone I am back in love with the little beast.

7. Daner

Daner Member

Glad to hear you got it worked out!

8. Deanclean

Deanclean Member

I realize this is a very old thread, but I am having the same issues with my Sambar. Ill check the plug wires tonight. Thanks for the help. Love this forum!