1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EFI 660 Hijet problems

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by 928mr2, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

Hi, I just started working on my 1990 Atrai Daihatsu Van that I bought with a problem on the engine. First when cold, the engine was starting well but was dying when warm. I found many vacuum leaks and fixed them. There is still a little one under a part that I don't know where two vac hoses attach. It is so badly placed that I'll have to remove the whole intake to find that leak.
    For now I decided to leave it like that cause the engine is going better. It does'nt die anymore when warm. The new problem I have now is that it idles too fast when hot (2000 rpm) and it is very hard to start when hot. It looks like it floods itself. To start it, I must give it some gas.
    How do I adjust the warm idle on an EFI 660 ?
    In the shop manual, is the 660cc EFI engine covered? Is the vacuum system covered? I found 2 hoses not connected but making no leak. I would like to be sure everything is back at it's place.
    I'll appreciate any help :)

jody likes this.
  2. threepot

threepot New Member

A-ha, it looks like you got here!

This forum can be slow at times to get answers, but people drop in slowly.

Maybe if you post up some photos of your engine and carb etc, people will recognise it as being similar to their setup.

3. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

It's a very good suggestion. I'll do that in the next days.
    I agree with you that there is not much activity on this forum like all other forums about Daihatsu vehicles
    Thank's a lot for you help.

4. threepot

threepot New Member

Microvan owners is the busiest Hijet forum nowadays, but we're all British on there with 1300cc or 993cc hijets as ours are not Jap imports. Ours came from UK Daihatsu dealerships and were manufactured in Italy.

5. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

Thank's a lot threepot. I'm glad to know that. I doubted that you did'nt had 660's in the UK.
    Of what I saw in many photos, I think the body of a 993 or 1300 are identical for Hijets between late 80's and late 90's?
    I need a rear light assy and window handle. I would continue searching in the UK if it's the case. I love to shop on line from your country :)

6. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

928mr2
    You need to take care of the air/vacuum leak before trying anything else or you will just be chasing your tail..idle on your truck is controlled by the ecu through input from the throttle position sensor,manifold pressure,and temperature. On a fuel injected engine the biggest cause of high idle speeds is air intake leaks..take some pics of the parts you need help with identifying and the unhooked vacuum lines...my Mira has the same engine essentially just mounted vertical instead of laid over as in your van

7. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

Hi fupabox, thank's for your help. We're not too far from each other!! I just updated my profile. I'm in Québec.
    I've found a couple more abnormal things since the beginning of this post. Of course I still had a too fast idle when hot. No heat from heating system and engine overheating, I found a leak after pressurizing the cooling system but I did'nt localised it cause I can't reach it.
    Also I made a cylinder pressure test and found that Cylinder # 1 was 125 psi, cylinder #3 was 122 psi and cylinder #2 20 psi. The previous owner did put a different type of spark plug on cylinder # 2. The plug was wet from fuel.
    Once when I made a pressure smoke test on vacuum system and smoke was coming out of the exhaust!!!! I think the engine has a valve problem. It's not closing well and the smoke that I sent in the intake went out by the exhaust.
    I'll have to take out the engine for sure and i'm waiting to get my shop manual that I ordered online to begin the procédures.

I include 2 photos one of the part that I saw smoke coming from Under. I have'nt bee able to go Under because of a lack of space.
    Second pix is of one of the 2 unconnected vacuum pipes. The other vac pipe I saw unconnected is under near the intake manifold and it is too far to take a photo of. There was no smoke coming from these pipes when I did the smoke test.

Attached Files:

8. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

I forgot to say that the AWD does'nt work by itself. I think it's a vacuum problem cause if a apply vacuum manually, I works well. It's probably due to the vacuum lines that are not connected os missconnected if I could say.

9. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

Is your Mira a 660cc ?

10. threepot

threepot New Member

I have studied your photo's, and I need you to understand I have ZERO experience with your engine type, or the 4x4 variants.

So my suggestions are guesses from myself, I often work on a variety of new surprises, that have often been mis-repaired previously, and come with little information.

So take my input (with caution) as you will!!

I see various mismatched hose clips on pipe work, and hoses not clipped back correctly - this is a symptom of poor workmanship or bodgers as they are know in the UK.

Do you get vacuum on that loose hose while it is running? Can you put something in the end to bung it up - does this cure the fast idle.

That loose hose, looks like is should go right under the handbrake to the other side of the engine compartment - look on the other side for clues.

There is also an orange/red diaphragm assembly that looks like it should have a pipe connected to it.

With your coolant system issues, and compression loss valve issues, I would also strongly suspect head gasket issues.

I can only think the van was sold due to a lack of will or money to repair it.

11. 928mr2

928mr2 New Member

I'm so glad to 'chat' with someone about my Daihatsu, even if it does'nt go further. I've searched so much about 660 turbo EFI without finding anything nor anyone giving opinions or infos. Thank's

No there is no vacuum at the end of this loose hose. Like I said when I made the vacuum test with the smoke tester, nothing was getting out of that hose. I saw a bit of smoke coming from Under the part on first photo only. I fixed 3 leaks already. I also see another hose deep under the throttle body with no smoke coming from it when tested. Unless that when the engine is running the vacuum is present at these 2 free hoses???

Yes I suspect the head gasket too. I hope I won't have a bigger suprise. I bought this van from someone who bought it at an auction and who did'nt work it and did'nt want to spend time on it.

There is no hurry for me to fix it since it's my hobby. I'm anxious that I'll have problems getting parts, infos and help for the turbo EFI version.