1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trannny Sensors for DD51t, with local parts...

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by spaner, Mar 30, 2013.

1. o8k

o8k Member

Thanks spanner! Your passion for the craft is much appreciated. I do enjoy a good read (or two) through your threads.

My 2 cents on the topic:
    My simple opinion is, this vehicle doesn’t belong here and “WE” (all of us) in all our interest put it here anyways. I take a certain defiant pride in that fact. I love that dealers are attempting to support the maintenance end of the kei truck sale, this is a critical and needed part of the niche industry. This expands the user base beyond the l33t backyard mechanic. But the spirit of this site extends beyond just being a contact point for users to connect with dealers, parts, and service. Case in point… What you are doing right here right now is providing the alternative to the dealer parts, maintenance, service culture. For me, I look at like; I have my “oracle / knowledgebase” to consult for the more do-it-yourselfer approach. Again, Vehicle doesn’t belong here, we made it happen (boo-ya!), so SPANNER…. You go push the lunatic fringe Franken-Parts sourcing – enjoy and be proud! (and you have my complete gratitude)
    Buy a fish, learn to fish, this site provides both…

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hell yea,
    Well said. I didn't want to come across as too mushy, but some of our members deserve a BIG pat on the back.
    Even a $5 buck HYPE, if I could give it, but none the less, a heart felt thanks at least.

Some give premo info, some give premo thanks. Either or;

I salute both for their contribution,

Thanks guys....:D

3. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

I stumbled on this year old thread today while researching stuff. I'm probably out of line as a newbie for reopening it, but I'm wondering if there has been an effort to expand on it?

The reason I say that is because my starter burnt up (literally) and I was looking at $300 for one from one of the site vendor. I found 3 others on the Internet through cross referencing the numbers on mine for about 1/2 that. My starter was a Mitsubishi by the way, I'd be happy to share the part numbers.

I also recently replaced my steering arm pivot bushing with a site vendor supplied one. It was just over $70 with shipping after I convinced him to send Priority Mail for $7 instead of UPS ground for $18. Really, $18 for shipping ground on a part that weighs less than a pound shipped in a padded envelope? Anyway, I had it in 2 days instead of 5.

Unfortunately, the bushing is made in China based on the numbers stamped in the rubber. The quality isn't even in the same league as the OEM Japan part. The OEM has thicker steel plus way more steel content in the part vs the rubber content and weighs about twice as much. I went from death wobble at 50 KPH to death wobble at 70 KPH. Better, but not perfect. I will probably now have to invest a bit more money in replacing the new crap bushing with the bearing fix I read about. I was hoping to avoid that since I was planning on re-engineering the steering geometry and suspension at some point in the future.

EDIT: I spoke too soon about the death wobble with the new part. It is now occurring at the same speed as the old part if you hit a bit of a bump and comes into play at 60 even on a smooth road. I had a friend crank the wheel back and forth while I observed the play and it is much more than the old part. It's mushy, way too soft because of all the the exta rubber which isn't as firm.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

As you're starting to figure out;
    Everything you ever wanted to know about minitrucks IS HERE, somewhere, or someone here knows about it.
    On the 6th of this month, we had 661 users on-line at the same time(@4am); Massive.
    I log in now and we have over a hundred active users on-line at 6am on a Saturday. Say what..:confused:

Start a new thread for your starter, call it like "DD51t-starter replacement-cheap", something like that so that it can be found two years from now; we currently have over 80,000 posts, 12,000 threads, and it is tricky to find the answers that are already here.
    A few good pics of the new part always helps, part numbers, and live-links are OK here.

As far as the steering OEM-bushing, that's a dead end. Dig deeper, you've found the bearing solution, a few have gone with the Brass-bushing. I did the Brass-bushing, with a grease fitting and grease rim. Sooo tight, had to use a bottle jack to press it on (custom fit, of course). Rebuilt the rack at the same time...all posted here, with pics, somewhere...

I do 150kph, and it drives like it's on rails..:sly:

PS I see you got you're sig figured out, simple...after..

5. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

I feel so honored to have a response to my post from the great one, a/k/a spaner.

I have followed your comments and threads since I register here 3 weeks ago. I did notice you were running the brass bushing. But why not just use steel on steel if it is sealed and lubed properly?

I believe in search and learn (and also search and destroy at times). I'm past 65 (years not KPH) and not a neophyte when it comes to vehicles and forums, just brand new to this vehicle and this forum. I keep looking and learning and look forward to your input and that of others with experience.

BTW, the ability to do a Sig line was delayed 2 weeks and my ability to search properly on this forum was delayed by the higher ups for 10 days. It cost me $70 since I couldn't read the whole bushing thread with pix and links and needed a quick fix for the steering so i bought the trash aftermarket bushing. That didn't work, it is a real POS as proven today while driving on roads with frost heaves. Shimmy starts as low as 60 and doesn't quit until I drop to 40.

I'm very glad to be officially and completely up and running and I hope to be a positive contributor as well as just a user.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, I hope that I haven't become too eccentric here, I prefer notorious, or even nefarious.:pop:
    The truth is that I just can't hang out anymore since starting back to my 80hr work weeks.
    I post up once or week or so, sometimes more.

7. LCCRUISER

LCCRUISER Member

WORK? Now that really is a four letter word!

NOTORIOUS according to the dictionary also means: infamous, egregious, outrageous, arrant, flagrant, and disreputable. Pick one that suits you. ;)