1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 Mini truck help

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by jay17, Apr 10, 2013.

1. jay17

jay17 New Member

Hello im am a newbie to the Mini truck and picked one up yesterday it runs but smokes like crazy it is a blue smoke and low on power so I pulled the plugs from front to back and the 1st plug was ashey looking and compression was 150psi 2nd plug had oil on it and compression was 175psi 3rd plug was ashey and compression was 175psi I think the truck is a 1992 and motor is a 3G81 and is a 4x4 3 speed so what should I check now Im thinking ValVe steem seals and help would be great I would like to find the problem before I pull the motor

2. jay17

jay17 New Member

I forgot to say it is a mitsubushi U15TOHPDL2M 01U E03 TRANS AXLE V3M11 I drove it up the road and the blue smoke turned to a white then kinda cleared up I pulled the oil dip stick and it has some blow by So Im thinking I have 2 problems some blow by and a small leakey head gasket so probably a rebuild need any thoughts from yall mini truck pros and where is a good place to get a rebuild kit if that is the case? Thanks

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

For what you need G&R is probably your best bet if you're in the U.S. They are pricey but have a good inventory and know the product.A lot of parts can be cross referenced to more common models but as far as I know for internal parts you have to bite the bullet.

4. jay17

jay17 New Member

Thanks I talked to them and they seem to be good people and know there stuff I gess my next step is to pull the motor and find out if it will be ok to put standard rings and bearings in it. I have another ? what all do i need to do to take the governor off I have been tro a lot of post but have not found that info on this truck yet and I was reading about a ignition up grade what does that consist of?

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Go to the Mitsubishi section of this forum and search posts by Dan,he has the Mits logo in his avatar, and you will find tons of info.Dan hasn't been real active lately but he used to have a fleet of the Mitsi's and really shared a lot of info.They used more complicated means to govern their trucks and are tougher to get around than other brands.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Hey Jay! welcome to the forum!

your compression is well above spec at those numbers. >130... dont tear apart the motor. they should all be closer to the 150 number after you burn off the oil in the cylinders. valve guide seals can be bought at just about any autoparts store and installed without taking aprt the motor. i'll look up the part numbers and get back to you. the governing problem can be solved by removing the ignitor and wiring in a stand alone system. like msd or something from an old dodge or toyota. a few components will have to be wired independantly from the old ignitor. fuel pump and carb solenoids will have to be wired to run on a key-on circuit. flip through my posts and search using ignitor, msd, cushman, valve guide and you'll probably find what youre looking for.

7. jay17

jay17 New Member

I found the post about the ignitor for the Cushman is that the same as the Mitsubishi? and as for the fuel pump just wire it up to the key switch? what is the carb solenoilds for? and I was reading about the 4 and 5th gear do you think my truck has them?

8. Dan

Dan Member

Yes, same as a cushman. The p in your model number designates that you have a 3 speed only. The fuel pump relay behind the glovebox can be removed and make a jumper in the pigtail. i don't recall exactly if the carb cutof solenoid need to be altered. I tried several things while experimenting. It may not be necessary.

9. Dan

Dan Member

MD307343 is the number for the valve guide seals. might also try the full sea foam treatment. mine were in pretty rough shape and i ran an oil additive and then a main-seal conditioner through the oil. it smoked a little less each time i fired them up and the problem disappeared after a few hundred miles.

10. jay17

jay17 New Member

Thanks Dan I will give that a try the thing I cant figure out is one minute it will be a blue smoke then it will be a white smoke the next minute whats the best way to check the head gasket for leakage?

11. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

If you take the radiator cap off and let the engine warm up with it off. If you can. Then top off the radiator so the fluid is just about half way up inside the neck where the cap goes on. Watch for bubbles. If you get lots of bubbles could be a head gasket.

12. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

White smoke is generally water. Black is fuel.

13. jay17

jay17 New Member

I have not has time to check for bubbles in the radiator but had to put a battery in it yesterday and I checked the voltage at the battery and it was 12.53 shouldn't it be 14 volts?

14. jay17

jay17 New Member

Hey Dan you you know if there is a air filter cross ref to a Napa filter?

15. jay17

jay17 New Member

I had time to work on the mini truck this weekend and i checked the radiator and no bubbles so I got thinking that maybe someone put a lot of sea foam in the gas so im going to keep running it untill i run it out of gas and put fresh gas in it I might pick up some oil and filter Does anybody know what kind oil and filter i need?

16. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

I would just pull the fuel out of the tank bud. If its old bad gas it would cause you all sorts of problems. Get ya some fresh premium fuel and throw in her. As for oil and filter........not sure if yours uses the same as mine. I took my filter in to the parts store and just started grabbing filters off the shelf till i found one that matched. I have a k&n filter that's literally twice as long as the one that was in the truck already. Then i got rotella 10-40 and put in the engine. The main thing with your filter is the hole where it threads onto the engine. Then the gasket size. I let mine drain for a couple days before i took it in. That way i didn't make a big mess. I also went to a bolt and chain shop we have and bought a bolt that was the same thread as my filter. Took the guess work out of it. Good luck bud

17. jay17

jay17 New Member

I was wondering if any body on he knows if a Iuzu I mark 1.8L DIESEL would bolt up to a 4x4 Mitsubishi diesel mini truck transmission I can get my hands on a good motor cheap and it looks like it will fit with some modified motor mounts and a few other things but not sure about the transmission

18. jay17

jay17 New Member

Has anyone put a small Diesel motor in one of these trucks?

19. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Not sure about a diesel but i did find a propane forklift with the same motor as the suzuki carry. Ill try n remember to go look at it again i forgot the brand.......

20. Gooseman

Gooseman New Member

I am new to these mini trucks and trying to learn. I just bought a 92 minicab that the owner said had a bad engine. I bought it cheap because of this. I got it home and did a few checks and found the air filter completely plugged solid with grime. I found a filter at canadian tire that was an 1/2 inch smaller both in width and length so I used the old filters hard plastic case as a holder for the new filter ( works great nice sealing area) and put new plugs and oil and filter along with fresh gas and fuel filter. Could not find any smoke that the owner said he was having problems with. The motor runs so smooth I am dumb founded at how easy of a fix it was. I would really check your air filter as a place to start.

21. jay17

jay17 New Member

I was wondering if this motor and trans would work in my truck SUZUKI CARRY F6A ENGINE & TRANSMISSION COMPLETE 12 VALVE RUNNING TESTED
    SUZUKI CARRY F6A ENGINE & TRANSMISSION COMPLETE 12 VALVE RUNNING TESTED