1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Carry Rear Shocks

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by WestEndAngler, Jul 8, 2013.

1. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

Okay, I have been reading on the forum about the shocks and I went out to my local auto parts store and purchased 2 Monroe 31000 shocks.

Come to find out it's not an exact bolt on for the Carry...

The mounts on the shocks are wider than the stock Carry and thus the shock itself either needs to be customized to fit or the shock mounts need to be elongated. I found that both the top & bottom both have this issue. I'm doing some more research and how to make these fit but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime that would be great too.

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

I'm thinking "deck-nut" but throw us a pic.

3. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

Spaner, I'll shoot you some pics when I get home from work but I don't think I could even get it threaded on there with the washers on either side of the shock. Thanks for the reply and I'm going to try all things possible before pulling out the cut off wheel and fabbing up new ones.

4. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

5. hatch

hatch Member

Guys this may be a random thought, but would any sort of 4 wheeler shock with springs on them work? Reason I say is because I have a golf cart and one way they lift the rear without brackets is to put shocks on it that are off a Suzuki 400 racing 4 wheeler.

Just a thought

I actually have a set and may try and see if they will work.

Any thoughts?

6. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

Are you talking about a coil over? The rear has leaf springs and just a shock which is far less complicated then a coil spring in the rear. The front has struts and I have already replaced the coils with heavier duty ones. I'd be interested to learn the width of the eye on the shock you plan on using.

7. hatch

hatch Member

image.jpg
    I measured the top and it was about 3/4 in wide and bottom was 1 1/4 in wide. Not sure about hole diameter but looks to be exactly what's on truck.

8. snowfighter

snowfighter New Member

I just put 2 monroe 31000's on the back of mine. use an angle grinder or similar tool to grind down the rubbers on each side off mounting, then get four 1/2" x 2" washers for the frame side and four 3/8"x2" washers for the outside. worked great!!!

9. snowfighter

snowfighter New Member

I also have monroe sensa trac struts for a 1987 sprint/metro on the way for the front they have 6" of travel. I will give a report when i get them done, hopefully i wont need to replace the springs but if so im thinking with new larger strut i will only go like 225 or 250# they are only $38 each on summit racing

oh btw my carry is a 95 model year

10. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

I was able to get my monroe shocks on as well.

11. snowfighter

snowfighter New Member

I got the struts, then decided last night to go ahead and order 250# coils to put on them. I didn't want to use to heavy of a spring consideting ill have new struts and an additional 2" of travel. Hope to get this done this weekend then ill give a report. Ill have about $150 in struts and springs should be well worth it for an increase in comfort!!!

12. rugerman

rugerman Member

I checked out a set of 31000's today at the parts store. THey are massive in comparison. Is this what you guys saw also?

13. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

I was able to get mine on. I'll take pics the next time I'm at the storage unit.

14. rugerman

rugerman Member

Cool, Thanks WestEnd

15. maxedoutinAK

maxedoutinAK New Member

I just got my 31000's in the mail. When i put them next to the stock 93 carry shocks they are about 3" longer? If i put them on wont I be reducing my travel since the shock is already partially compressed?

16. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

keep posting regarding your new shocks. I was also going to order them .
    Tony

17. Tony Evers

Tony Evers Active Member

please report on how well those struts worked for you.
    Tony

18. maxedoutinAK

maxedoutinAK New Member

I dont want to go through the hassle of installing them unless someone chimes in on how they compare to the stock shock. getting them to fit is easy but the shock is longer and the body of the shock is longer all that equals to not working right. You proably wouldnt know until you put something heavy enough in the bed to compress the springs to realize that its bottoming out on the shock body...

19. rugerman

rugerman Member

mine worked great. seem big when you see them at first. have to modify washers or go to Fastenal to get washers that hold the bushings in.

Tony Evers likes this.
  20. TMB FARM

TMB FARM New Member

Not sure how it happened, but one rear shock was bent. Both had been leaking for some time, and both were showing some wear on the dust cover.

I just replaced the shocks on my DB71T Suzuki mini truck and found much of the information above very helpful. I used Monroe 32207 shocks which were a little longer, have about 3/4" more travel, and are approximately 1/2" bigger in diameter than the stock shocks. Besides being very close in dimensions, they were in stock at my local parts store and fit many vehicles including a Suzuki Samurai. I took an angle grinder and cut the rubber down slightly on each side of the rubber bushing. I did also make some bushings out of some 5/8" OD x 3/8" ID tubing, because before I went to town to pick up the shocks, I saw the ID of the shock bushing was 5/8" and I measured the shock mounting bolts at 19 mm. When I opened the package with the shocks, I found that suitable bushings were included. The ones I made are better (tighter - smoother - rounder), but I certainly would not have gone to the trouble of making them had I known the included bushings would fit close enough.

After trimming the rubber bushings -- just removed all tapered area -- and locating the larger washers, it took only moments to install both shocks. I used a standard 7/16" washer for the outside position and a 3/8" body washer for the inside washer (against the nut).

It looks great, no clearance problems at all, and really improves the feel of the truck even though I only drive slowly through really rough areas.

Thank you all above for the information to help me get this done.

Attached Files:

t_g_farrell likes this.
  21. Ethan Walker

Ethan Walker New Member

How did those struts work out?

22. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

I have Air shocks for mine!
    I bought 12mmx 14mm bronze bushings
    Narrow up the shocks and bolted right up