1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by DRW, Mar 30, 2008.

1. DRW

DRW Member

I wanted to say thanks to Draggbody for making mention of the manifold type cat on a Suzuki Carry, I had asked someone about my 91 having one because of the sensor screwed into it,o2 I am guessing and the smell of my exhaust, but was told it did not have one.It does, or did have the honeycomb style in the manifold.There is a definite improvement in performance with it gone.

2. jay woods

jay woods Member

DRW, Thanks for posting this. I have wondered about the same thing on my hijet. It is a 93 and has what looks to be a CAT just after the exhaust manifold. My exhaust is in good shape but I can't help but think if this is a CAT and I either took it off or cleaned it out it would help. What did you do to yours?

Thanks jay

3. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

can you post a pic?

4. draggbody

draggbody Member

no problem... if you follow from the manifold there is a "canister" unbolt the flange and take a big *** screwdriver and break it out... crank it up and it will blow alot of stuff out, turn it off and repeat process until its clean...

for those that missed the theory, the misfire allow raw fuel to enter the exhaust and then it ignites, super heating the exhaust, melting the catalyst, thus clogging it up...

5. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

any idea why some trucks don't come with cats? i've seen a few newer ones without one and an older truck of the same make with a cat.

6. DRW

DRW Member

Some of the newer trucks may be using the manifold type cat,on my 91 Suzuki there is nothing under the truck to see from the manifold back but the header pipe,muffler and tail pipe.The actual honeycomb in the manifold was about 2.5" thick and was no problem to break apart,the results were well worth the effort.

7. jay woods

jay woods Member

It was in the actual manifold itself?

8. DRW

DRW Member

The manifold looks to be two pieces,with the lower piece being a cast iron cat,which is something I have never seen.I will take a picture of it and post it.

9. DRW

DRW Member

Manifold Cat

Here is a picture of the "manifold cat" on my 91 Carry.

Attached Files:

Wayne Marion likes this.
  10. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

daihatsu cat

mine is a 1996 and only has a intake air preheat but no cat that i can tell.

11. jay woods

jay woods Member

Mine is the same larry, nothing that looks like a cat!

12. chris oakley

chris oakley New Member

does a 1994 carry have a cat converter built into the manifold , I do not see one in the exhaust system of my carry. but I have noticea my carry loosing power latley and need help upping the hp. Thanks, Chris

13. j.newell

j.newell New Member

I have a 92 carry and i need to find spark plug gap and degree for timimg

14. slimbad

slimbad Member

j.newell, First -Welcome to the forum. You will find what you need in this thread:

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=2775

There is more info in the "Suzuki Carry Reference" section:)

prob a better place to request this info also

later, slim

15. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Many front wheel drives converters are set up the same way.. right after the manifold. Maybe to keep weight stresses closer to the front?

I may be wrong, but I recall some of the newer EFI minis passing emissions tests without cats. The PPM's are pretty low with 660cc's. Rated more like motorcycles.

16. BHuffman

BHuffman New Member

Removing manifold-type catalytic converter

I've been using PB Blaster for a few weeks now to prepare to unbolt the flange, so I can break the catalytic converter out of the manifold.

I have a question. Do I need to take any precautions when I use the big screwdriver to break it up? Is there any chance of damaging the O2 sensor or anything else?

Thanks for your help,
    Bob

17. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Wear some breathing protection, as the materials are hazardous to your health..

18. erixun

erixun Member

Post some pics and tell us what happened! Good, bad or indifferent, I am interested if you actually get some performance gain! thanks.

19. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

I have a 94 carry and I have wanted to remove the cat and I have taken the pipe from the manifold to look inside to see honeycomb but I didnt see anything. Do I need to remove the manifold??:/ Please post some pics of anything you have to help me out.
    Thanks.

20. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

If you take off the "down pipe" right after the manifold it may contain the converter.. but it is usually obviously larger than a standard tube. Further down (away from the heat) is usually where it is.

Keep in mind, these cats are not the old pellet type from the 70's and 80's. They flow decently, and usually the only thing that will change is the tone of the exhaust note. Consider as well the exhaust pulses exit easier with a well formed, straight exhaust. Empting out a converter canister can create a low pressure area halfway down the exhaust.. and creating some noisy/misdirected pulses, effectively reducing power. I would not recommend removing the material from the canister, but rather welding a straight pipe, bypassing it smoothly.

Also, some exhausts may not have converters at all. Mine does not, and passes inspections no problem...as well as my donor truck. My friend had the same year, but a 4WD version, and his had one. Go figure...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  21. zardoz

zardoz Member

My 93 suzuki doesn't have a cat... never did.

z

22. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

I looked and it seems mine doesnt have a cat. I really appreciate your help.

23. BHuffman

BHuffman New Member

I took my 91 Carry to a friend to help me replace the rusted out muffler and tail pipe. I had to use 1.5" pipe because I couldn't find anyone who could bend/shape 1.25" pipe. At the same time, I unbolted the "twisted tri pipe" and was able to use a screw driver to break apart the catalyst from the manifold-type catalytic converter. That went pretty easy. Once complete, the first thing I noticed was that the exhaust is a little louder. Can't determine if it's the larger pipe, muffler, or the removed catalyst???

I've been losing power for about a year now and I don't get as much top-end speed out of each gear. I think it may be in my carb or something to do with the spark. I'm smelling unburned fuel in the exhaust. At this point, I believe the pickup is better, but I'm still having a lack of power like when I go up a hill, so removing the catalyst wasn't the fixall I was hoping for.

24. o8k

o8k Member

I stumbled across this thread while researching a problem im having the hoses coming out of my exahust manafold. (93 Carry) One goes into the frame (not sure i understand this) The other appears to be part of an EGR (Exahust Gas Recirulation) system of sorts. Both metal brakets that these flex exhaust hoses tie to are completely rusted out. Any info on this would be apreciated. Will take picks later when i get a chance.

Thanks in advance,
    o8k

25. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

they are used to keep your carbs from freezing up in the cold weater.. Mine rusted off and I had to rebuild them..

26. huntidaho

huntidaho Member

just so you know it will not affect the rig if not in cold weater. it is striclty for heat for the carbs..

27. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

93 Suzuki

This is what I got out of mine.

Attached Files:

Stan likes this.
  28. JJ3381

JJ3381 New Member

I am going to knock out my cat internals soon. Thanks for the info:)

29. GEORGIA

GEORGIA New Member

i have a 99 and when they come to the usa, the govt makes the importer put one on any truck that gets imported (all of them). i recently cut it out and had a fresh section of 1.75" pipe ran from the manifold to the muffler. its a tad louder but thats to be expected because it has less restriction. i want it to stay quiet and these engine needs the muffler for back pressure.

30. mbsuzuki

mbsuzuki New Member

I to have a 99 suzuki, jus got it. The importer welded on the new cat. Georgia, whewn you removed yours did you get any better performance? I was thinking of removing it but only if it will add to the perfomance, Thx