1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Voltage Pre-Start

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by captain_dc, Sep 9, 2013.

1. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

Help Please!

I have been having some isues with my suby starting up. I first had trouble with the starter not turning over when start switch was on start....so...
    I checked voltage to starter-good
    I checked voltage to solonoid- 8.5V
    I jumped the solonoid direct of battery, good start every time.

I went back to the ignition switch.
    I checked the voltage to the switch 12V
    I tried the switch in different positions and jumpered it until I determined that the voltage would drop only when in the on or start position. I determined therefore that the culprit must be the Black/Blue (BL) wire, that runs all over the truck. Only when this wire is conected do I get a voltage drop. I have tested this by seperating the switch from the harnes and jumpering on the (BL) line and the 12V power line (W). I tried pulling all the fuses out of the fuse box and replacing them one at a time while I had the ignition switch set to on and was therefore geting a 8.5v reading, however that had no efect.

As soon as the engine starts and presumably the Alt. kicks on, I get 14V.

While fidling around I discovered another way to get a voltage drop, by putting on the first stage of lights on the light switch. I tried disconecting headlights...no change.

I thought it could posibly be in the combination switch, so I disconected all the wiring up the steering colum but when the ignition switch was turned on the voltage still droped.

The fact that the voltage drop ocurs in 2 ways leads me to believe there most be a conection where these to systems cross over. On the other hand I could have to problems. I am generaly asuming that I have a bad ground somewhere but I can't find it by looking so far.

Any advice or similar experiences with solutions would be greatly apreciated. I am getting pretty close to just jumpering my selenoid right to my batery with a switch in the cab, but this does not realy solve the root of the problem.

Thanks

2. captain_dc

captain_dc New Member

I discovered that my fuel pump is drawing 3V when conected. This seems excesive. Thoughts anyone?
    I should mention I'm running a 91 standard asperation.