1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant Flush

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Deanclean, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Deanclean

Deanclean Member

Hi Guys,
    I think I've pretty much read every post for some direction on changing the coolant in a Sambar. I've got a 1997 Sambar KS4 Carb'd. It looks like it should be pretty straight forward. The only thing I've seen is that there maybe 2 draining spots? I can get to the drain on the rad, but not sure where the other spot is. It doesn't mention another spot in the workshop manual. Any other tips for changing the coolant would be appreciated. It looks like some people have had problems with air lock after the flush, so any advice on preventing that would be great too. Thanks in advance for any help you may have.
    Ryan

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

When I changed the timing belt/water pump on my '91 Sambar, I found 2 coolant drain spots and 3 vents.

Drains:
    1) Bottom of the radiator (front passenger side of the truck)
    2) Bottom of the water pump. There's a little bolt (pointed down) next to the oil filter that I believe is only acting as a plug (I found that after I pulled off the pump and coolant leaked everywhere, so I'm not 100% sure it drains).

Vents
    1) Take off the radiator cap under the passenger seat. (Easy)
    2) Take the cover off the overflow container behind the drivers seat, under the bed.
    3) There's a small black hose coming off the engine block (accessible from the bed access cover) that is tee'd off the engine coolant line and has a green plug in the end.

3. Deanclean

Deanclean Member

Thanks SpikeFiend,
    This will be a big help I'm sure. Hopefully I can get to it this weekend.