1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tires

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Meansealvel, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

I like your philosophy.... Sounds about right! I can tell you one thing for sure i would rather try to figure out my mini truck hahha! So i got the truck in the driveway! Really excited to start messing around with it!

2. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Awesome!!!

3. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Ohhhh K, thought I had it all figured out! Turns out that Carlisle All trails are not DOT approved.... Now im trying to find a DOT tire that will work, not easy. I was planning to do the 23x8x12 all trails but since there not DOT approved does anyone have any suggestions on a 23 or 24 max DOT approved tire? And how bad would you guys say it would be to use the all trails on the pavement at speeds up to 55 or less? I did find a GBS Afterburn tire that's DOT approved but the smallest size I could find is 25", the guys at GR said I would lose a lot of power with a tire that big? Anyway nothing is ever easy these days, not sure why I thought this would be! Thanks fellas

4. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

How much power would I lose with the 13" wheels and 23ish tires?? Ive found a few "All Season" 185/70R13's and if I can find one with half way decent tread it would be fine.

5. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Or there are these 24x8x12's which look pretty good? Would I lose more power with a 13" wheel/23 tire or a 24" tire/12" wheel?

6. kc4wd

kc4wd New Member

I just received these tires for my Suzuki yesterday, there 23x10x14, but you can get them in 12" wheel as well. They are DOT approved and 1000 lb rated. The 14" are 6 ply and the 12" are 4 ply. I think I like them better than the all trails.
    http://www.pureoffroad.com/efx-blade-golf-cart-tires.htm

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  7. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Oh man you had me really happy for a sec! But unfortunately im not sure the 10.5 wides will fit on my Mini Cab :( What a bummer! Those are pretty much exactly what im looking for!! Arghhh! Either way thanks for the info im sure this will be useful for someone at some point! Thanks!

8. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

What a pain! So im really wishing I could find a 13" wheel with the 5+2 offset, Best Used Tractors has a 13" wheel but the offset is between 4+3 and 5+2 and with that wheel there are a lot more options. And they also carry a 24" tire that fits 12" wheel but that's slightly bigger than I want to go.

9. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Hey Kc.... what size wheels do you have? And are you using spacers?

10. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

What I really need to know is if this 13" wheel with the almost 5+2 offset will fit with a roughly 23" tire????!!!! I really like the idea of using some regular All Season tires. I feel like they are probably the most practical tire for my application.

11. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

I would also love to know how much the 24" tire will affect my power??? Haha thanks guys!

12. kc4wd

kc4wd New Member

Vision Outback wheels. 14x7 4+3 No lift other than using Afco 10" 250# springs.

13. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Hhhhwat! 14" wheels and no lift! Wow

14. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Is there any difference between using a 23" tire on a 13" wheel versus using a 23" tire on a 14" wheel? Would I lose any more power?

15. kc4wd

kc4wd New Member

23" tire on a 12" wheel
    23" tire on a 13" wheel
    23" tire on a 14" wheel

all the same size......still a 23" tire, there will be no power difference. The ride quality may change though. The 23" on a 12" wheel has more side wall, which can flex more, giving you a little softer ride. the 23" on a 14" wheel has less side wall and a more firm ride. Your only talking about 1" different though, may not be able to feel the difference.

16. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Soooo why doesn't anyone who wants a dot approved tire just get 14" wheels?

17. kc4wd

kc4wd New Member

That's what I did, as to why everyone else don't, I don't have a clue. I don't think you can find a truck tire 23" tall, the passenger car tires you find are narrow and have road tread.....not off road tread. That's why I went with the tires in the link.
    Here is a couple pic's.......Enjoy! Hopefully you can find some that will work for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Cool Thanks so much for the info man! Hopefully this helps others exploring the same options..... I think this is a good addition to this thread!

So! i guess im a little bit unique when it comes to this topic. Im looking for a mildly aggressive DOT approved tire. Most of my driving is on pavement/hard pak dirt roads, and beach sand. So i don't really need anything very aggressive, but i do want something bigger and wider than the stock, and something that will wear well too. All ive been looking at are ATV style tires because thats all that will fit the wheels i was looking at, i just didn't realize there are so many 23"ish size tires for 14" wheels.

I still need to find out if this 14" will defenitely fit but otherwise im ready to placve an order for some Winter style tires like these ones. SO happy to have figured this out, this will in the end be the best and cheapest option ive found! Perfect! Thanks again

19. kc4wd

kc4wd New Member

I looked at some just like those at Walmart. Didn't get them just because I wanted a more aggressive tire. I use my truck for hunting and I have a small cattle farm. I drive the truck on the highway to one of my hunting spots 10 miles away then right into the woods on all kinds of terrain.

20. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Welp guess I haven't been on this thread in a while, been working on the engine rebuild lately! But alas i finally got a lift kit and im ready to install this weekend hopefully! Hiiiija!

SO heres the deal whoever cares! I ended up going with 14" wheels! I had read at some point that there are wheels out there from other vehicles that would fit my truck, but at the time i just didn't realize it was as simple as going on line and finding a wheel with the right bolt pattern and voila! I was stuck thinking i would have to go to some scrap yard and find the miracle fit, but basically what it boils down to is finding a tire size and style that will fit something that fits your bolt pattern. Its actually not that difficult, i guess most of the people on the forum are looking for a an atv style tire but i really needed a DOT style tire because i drive on pavement most of the time. However i still wanted something fairly aggressive and here in lies the challenge. There are plenty of all season style tires that fit smaller wheels but the only mildly aggressive tire i was able to find that fits a 14" wheel was a few winter tires. There are some dot approved atv style tires out there but they are all too aggressive for pavement! Sizing also becomes an issue because i was looking for something fairly wide, basically as close to a 23x8 as i could find. Turns out a 195/60 is pretty close, its actually Diameter = 23.2"Width = 7.68" which is perfect for me because i have a Mitsu and apparently they are harder to fit wider wheels on then the others. There is also the 195/55 which is 22.4x7.7 and a few others in the range. However there arent many tires avaialble in these sizes so again finding anything that will work isn't easy, especially if your looking for an all terrain or anything aggressive. Winter tires were what i settled on because they were the most aggressive DOT approved style tire that will run smooth on pavement, but unfortunately the rubber is soft for winter usage and they will wear faster in the warmer months, but at $70 a piece its not that expensive to replace them so we'll see but if they last a few years then ill be satisfied! Or i could just buy a set of some all seasons for the warmer months and they would probably do fine on the beach. Nd in case anyone's wondering apparently less aggressive tires do better in beach sand and fluffy snow while more aggressive tires do better on hard surfaces like rock or ice, aaaand i only know this because of this thread! Thanks so much for all the help!

As for the wheels there are plenty of options in 14" diameter! There are also some 13" ones too but i dont think there are any DOT approved mildly aggressive tires that will fit. Once you get into the 12" range then its very difficult to find many DOT style tires, and none that made sense for me.

Sooooo drumroll please :) Here's what i ended up with!

Raceline Wheels- Mamba 14"X7" 4-115 5+2(offset) Like i said already Mitsu's dont fit a wide tire like other models can so the widest offset avaialble is required.

Yokohama Ice Guard tires 195/55/14

For now thats the latest, but im sure ill be back on this thread soon to keep you all posted, and at some point ill most likely be trying some other options if this setup isnt perfect.

And as for the lift kit, i ened up getting a 2" oem style kit from best used tractors, after waiting 5 months!!!! Yep 5 months for a 4" kit that i was plabnning to use i found out that the original manufacturer built 2" optional lifts and they are now built right here in the US and they are the best fit out there. THats what ive been told anyways. Ill keep you all posted on how it works out. THanks again so much for all of your help and i hope this thread is usefull for others going through what i have.

21. mountain man

mountain man New Member

This thread has been very helpful! I have a 1990 suzuki and want to put all 23x8x12 alltrails on it as I do most driving on gravel. Im wondering if anyone uses these for gravel alot and what rim width and offset I need.

thanks for all the info!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  22. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

I would just called G&R and ask, ive called them quite a few times at this point, and ive ended up buying a lot of parts from them so i dont feel so bad just calling with a question. If i had to guess i would say 4+3 offset would suffice and 7" wheels will be wide enough but you will probably need to do a lift, probably find what your looking for in the Suzuki area of the forum.

23. Meansealvel

Meansealvel Member

Update...... Winter tires; or at least the Yokohama Ice guards that i bought have a very square shoulder! Im not sure if perhaps its just because i own a Mitsu but after i installed a 2" lift plus srping i still had to cut my door and wheel well to avoid rubbing! I think if i were using something more like a Carlisle all trail they would have fit better, but in my case i needed a DOT approved so that how i ended up with he ones i did. But they ride really smooth and i love the looks! Still trying to figure how to post some photos!