1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hesitation when accelerating

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by neller, Oct 23, 2013.

1. neller

neller Member

I have a 1990 subaru sambar 5 speed 4x4 . The truck starts fine , idles fine ... but when I'm accelerating up through each gear there is a point about mid-way where the engine hesitates . Once I have reached the upper R P M's in each gear , the truck runs fine . What would cause this . Any help would be great ! Thanks . ( also , in neutral the truck revs. up smoothly ... no problem )

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

N/A subaru with a carburator, or EFI (with or without supercharger)? Excess air (vacuum leak?), low fuel pressure (bad pump, clogged filters), or bad spark plugs or wires could cause this. If you have EFI, it could be a defective MAP sensor.

3. neller

neller Member

Thanks for the reply Spikefiend ... my truck is N/A and carburated . I just changed the fuel filter recently , but the fuel that is in the tank is quite old ! Would that be any issue ?

4. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I think that's very likely. I'd siphon out the old gas and put some new stuff in there and give that a shot.

Symptoms of Bad Gas

5. neller

neller Member

Once again SpikeFiend ... thanks so much for your advice . It's much appreciated ! As soon as I get time I'll switch into trouble-shooting mode . Your help has been great !