1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery drain, found odd curcuit with relay.

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Allteeth, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Allteeth

Allteeth New Member

Hello,

I purchased a 97 Mitsubishi mini yesterday knowing it had a few issues but was in great shape with low KMs.

Problem #1 was it was stuck in 4x4. Just a sticky button, works fine with a firm touch. Will pull it apart and take a closer look.

Problem #2 was a 135 mA drain on the battery when the ignition was off. I disconnected the neg terminal, used a multimeter and started pulling fuses. The last fuse I pulled was the 40 amp under the seat and the meter showed zero.
    When I pulled the 40 amp, I heard a click under the steering wheel. I found a relay that was spliced into one of the ignition wires, through a set of normally open contacts in the relay, then spliced into one of the wires for the right headlight. Power to the coil for the relay was spliced from another ignition wire and is always energized making the normally open contacts stay closed.
    I unplugged the relay and haven't noticed anything not working.
    Any idea why someone might have put this circuit in? What was it's the purpose?
    Keeping the relay handy just in case.

Thanks, Allteeth.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. Allteeth

Allteeth New Member

Here is a pic.

t9hp.jpg

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. Borg

Borg Member

4. Allteeth

Allteeth New Member

Thanks Borg, hope that's better.

5. the pou

the pou Member

My 93 carry has no runing day light. To have it certified, i had to splice the parking light to the cigar et ligther, that way
    As soon as i turn the ignition, my parking light wher on.I think what you have there is an attemp to have Your light
    On as soon as the switch is turned on.the relay that is clicking is probably the one for your front seal beam.
    After my truck was road certified, i unpluged my By-pass, and now to be legal, when i am on the road, i turn my
    Lights on all the time

6. Allteeth

Allteeth New Member

I never thought of that, must be what it is. Thanks the pou, I'll check it out and wire it up properly.