1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front end popping - how to test to find exact issue?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by jwicker, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jwicker

jwicker Member

Well - - after a long 7 months and a 12 week+ delay (for a rear axle seal) from a Mini Truck parts source in the US (name withheld unless you PM me), I FINALLY got the 1994 S110P to our rural property.
    Borrowed a trailer and (after a trailer tire blowout on the interstate) got it unloaded to it's new home last Friday.

I just had to take a little spin around the property. It was a little muddy so I pressed the 4x4 button and proceeded down the hill to the pasture.
    All was well until I had to climb back up that 500 foot incline and noticed a very distinct pop pop pop pop pop pop pop all the way up the hill with the 4x4 on and climbing up the hill.
    It was ok headed down and only pops when the 4x4 is ON.

I had to keep it in 4x4 to get up the hill to the truck and shed.

The HiJet has a ~3 inch lift on it.
    I need to keep that lift to clear the Carlisle All Trails.

I assume what I'm looking at is a busted CV joint.
    It sounded like the popping was coming from the left (passenger) front.

My question - how do I test to figure out exactly what I need to replace?

I have a local connection fr some parts, but he asked if I needed the inner or outer CV or the whole axle.
    He's reluctant to take back any returns so I would like to narrow down the cause.
    Also - the property is an hour away and I need to know what tools to take for testing and part removal.

And - is there anything I can do to maintain lift and minimize the future damage of replacement parts?

Thanks in advance.

Also - I have a good used carb for the S110p if anyone is looking for one.
    Needs some cleaning but should function fine.

thx
    jwicker

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

The passenger side cv drive line is the short one. My 2 cents, 3" lift is to much. Cut it back to max. 2" better yet 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". Yes that little makes a big difference. I dont go over 1 3/4 on daihatsu's and 2" on Suzuki's. Jack the truck up with tires hanging lose and pull back and forth on the cv drive line rotating tire. Should see or feel the slop if cv is bad.
    With a 3" lift you most likely topping out on the strut stoke. That will make a knocking.
    Another thing is that he strut might be a little worn inside on the top side. If you remove the three bolts on the lift and let it hang try moving the top of strut back and forth. If there is any play bing go, strut is wore inside. If thats the knocking but the strut still works you can live with the knocking.
    Again I would cut the 3" lift down to 1 3/4" IMHO.

3. toothandnail

toothandnail New Member

A 3" lift done correctly is no problem I had a 5" on my 94 Suzuki for 2 years, several thousand miles, with no problems, just put a 6" (total with tires) on my 03 Mitsu.

I'd say it the CV, but what caused it ? ? ? , could be an improper lift for sure, could be the boot got cut from something else. A comprimised boot is a QUICK way to ruin a CV.

4. jwicker

jwicker Member

Looks like the replacement used front left (short) axle swap cured the popping.
    Also measured the front lift and it is ~2 inches (2.5" on the high side and 1.5" on the low).

Words of wisdom..... Take the strut loose front eh spindle.
    We took it loose from the wheel well and fought with it for an hour before I called my parts guy.
    Took 15 minutes after pulling it from the spindle.

So.... After many months, many dollars and some awesome help on this forum, the 94 s110p is resting at its new rural home.
    We even drove it 4 miles down the highway for lunch last weekend.
    Illegal as all get out, but at least I had a slow moving triangle on tha back for caution.
    Ha

Topped out at ~50 mph.

The heat on that 40 degree day was worth the wait and troubles.
    Why would anyone spend $15k on a glorified 4 wheeler?

Thx for all the help.
    Jw

5. djrunner

djrunner New Member

Please private message me the info about the Mini Truck parts source (per your entry below) email me at djrunner@pinebelt.net - thanks

Well - - after a long 7 months and a 12 week+ delay (for a rear axle seal) from a Mini Truck parts source in the US (name withheld unless you PM me), I FINALLY got the 1994 S110P to our rural property.