1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between differential lock and axle lock?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by DENALI, Dec 27, 2013.

1. DENALI

DENALI New Member

Just curious as my truck has a axle lock button and a differential lock button.

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Dif lock locks the rear dif, axle lock engages the front axles like locking hubs on the older 4x4 rigs.

3. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Jim is right on the money.

Unfortunately, many people and dealers confuse the "axle lock" for a locking front differential. I've seen stock trucks advertised for sale with locking front and rear differentials where actually only the rear is a true locker.

4. Okie firefighter

Okie firefighter New Member

So I have a question then, when I pull my shift lever from 2wd to 4wd it's really not in 4wd until I push the "axle lock" button?

5. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

You shouldn't have to push the axle lock button,it should engage and the light on the button will come on when you shift to 4 wd,you have to push it to dis engage the front axles when you shift back to 2 wd.

6. WestEndAngler

WestEndAngler Member

My light or sensor is broken. Axle Lock has anyone run into this issue where switch light doesn't come on but you still have 4WD?

7. Rob Vere

Rob Vere New Member

Different and confusing ? When I put on the 4wd lever only the transfer case shifts. No 4x4 until I push the axle lock button. Seems like it's not a bad thing! better then getting out and turning hubs.

8. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

Axle lock never really locks the front wheels together like what happens when diff locks are on. Its just to save you from going out the vehicle and manually turning the locking hubs.