1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you need an alternator??

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by williemakeit, Jan 13, 2014.

1. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Hey everyone, a few weeks ago or more I was offered an ACTY in trade for some work on a sidexside and a custom bumper on a Mitzibishi truck. After cleaning up the ACTY and adding custom lower control arms to replace shot ball joints, repairing a rotted exhaust system, and rewiring that stupid exhaust cooling fan so the battery would stay up. Once those issues were addressed all seemed good till I noticed weak lights and hard starting after a few days of early hunting trips. A few minutes with the load tester and we had a toasted alternator.
    Researching........Researching.... And nothing but overpriced import parts:frustration:, so I contacted a long time friend of my father's that owns a alternator and small motor repair shop. He looked it over and found that the stator had been frozen and was not going to be an easy rebuild, after making a few calls (stateside & Canada) he came up empty on the factory alt. So out came the books and spec sheets for some old fashion part interchange searching.... BAM!!! We have a winner!!!

YOU ALL WANT TO KNOW MORE????

2. muddy moose

muddy moose Member

Hahaha cliff hanger huh......ill bight........

YEA MAN!!!! Tell me more!!!! Hahaha

3. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

This just isn't fair!!

4. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

We're waiting.
    :pop:

5. I'm in......

6. Borg

Borg Member

Geo metro? Or other small engine car?

7. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Ok spaner. Where the hell are you hiding I know you're watching this, time to chime in.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hun?
    Yea, busy clipp'en along over Superior at mach .57, FL230; sav'en lives...:sly:
    I think they got the parts out of a sprint, but they didn't work anyways (dif-board). Bled .5amp all night long.
    Trying to send you some .22 out of Orlando, just haven't made it down there yet,
    chears:pop:

9. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Count me in. I'm not an ACTY owner but I'm always up for someone doing a good old' fashioned parts interchange!

10. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

1988 tercel 1.5 litre should match
    REMY Part # 14673 $60

11. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Sorry for the delay on this guys... man down with flu. I'll be back up to the shop in a few days to test fit and take pics. This is a higher amp than geo or other models I have seen and will require some mods to fit but nothing major. We found two styles and both are new with no core and both are denso.

12. Anytime we have someone call looking for a starter or alternator we refer them to hite parts in columbus Ohio, I have yet to send them anything the could not rebuild and do it for 100-150.00. They also do the best job i've ever seen rebuilding carbs, they use a double acid bath and vacuum check each one, they come back looking and working like brand new.

13. shogun

shogun Active Member

Good tip, thanks, here is a direct link http://www.hiteparts.com/
    Their site states:
    Our rebuilding operation is made up of three departments:
    Carburetor & Distributor
    Electrical (Alternators, Generators, Starters, and Motors)
    Brake, Clutch, & Water Pumps

Typically, we can rebuild and return your unit within 24 hours, or we can exchange it from our large inventory. We offer this quick turnaround on many hard to find items as well, specializing in units for the following applications:
    Agricultural Equipment
    Domestic Car and Light Trucks
    Heavy Duty Trucks
    Import Car and Light Trucks
    Industrial Equipment
    Marine Engines

14. We never did get the final verdict on the alternator replacement. I think I need one on my truck, and I'd like to know if there is something that will match up. I find some for around $300, but hopefully there is an exact match for less than that.

15. Should match? How can I tell for sure? Should I take the old one off, and bring it to a parts store to match it up? Or is there another way?

16. shogun

shogun Active Member

17. I did look at those pics. I'll just have to pull mine off and compare it to those pics. I would have to change the pulley on that one because mine has a v belt.

What is the easiest way to tell if my alternator is bad? With the truck running, I put a tester on the battery cables and it showed about 11.6 volts. Then, when I turn the lights on, it drops to about 11.4.

18. You should be running at 13.5v, and if you or anyone else ever needs a new starter, Alternator, coil pack, etc. never buy a new one, all of those items can be rebuilt by any local shops that do that type of work. Same goes for CV axles, you can send those out and have it rebuilt for about 80.00

CompleteLawnCare likes this.
  19. Well, there were pics in my last post yesterday.

I took the alternator to O'Reilly Auto and to Advanced Auto today, and neither one could test it. They said they had to get a code for the vehicle it came off of to put in the tester's computer. And, of course, they didn't have a code for a 1992 Honda Acty HA4. Monday, I'll take it to a local place that rebuilds alternators to see if they can help.