1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thermostats

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Gotrek, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Gotrek

Gotrek Member

Does anyone know if a thermostat from any North American vehicle would fit in a 91 Sambar. Mine needs to be replaced because it takes forever to warm up. I know a couple importers list that they have them in stock but I want to know if I could pick one up from an auto supply store that would work.

2. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

You might be able to find some cross-compatibility with parts from a Subaru Justy of the same-ish year. There's a fair amount of shared parts between them, but no guarantees it will work though.

3. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

I have a new thermostat for my 2001 TT2, but am not even sure what the angle of attack is to install it. I purchased an OEM thermostat. I remember when a thermostat with gasket cost $8, but not this one. There be gold in this one.

I have zero heat in the cab. The rebuilt heat tubes, both sending and return, remain cold. I have burped the !@#$%^& out of the system, topping it off on the side of a hill so steep, the wheels broke free and the truck slid to the bottom of the hill. I am aware of the front and rear bleeder tubes as well. They are both expelling fluid.

I read one description of a thermostat replacement on this site, but it couldn't possibly apply to a supercharged engine with AC. It described removing the alternator to get to the thermostat housing. There is no plumbing under my alternator, This I know. I hate the thought of disassembling much of the truck to figure that it was much simpler than I thought. Anyone have some advice?

4. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

5. rkrenicki

rkrenicki Active Member

Do you have heat if you change the mode to the front defroster? I am not 100% sure about the 6th gen (1998-2012), but the 5th gen will NOT output heat to the front vents.. it is just not physically possible with the way the heater box is configured. It ONLY puts out heat to the defrost or the foot modes. I would not be surprised if the 6th gen was the same way.

The thermostat is in the same place on all 5th (1990-1997) and 6th Gen (1998-2012) Sambars. On the earlier carbed models, it is underneath the carb. On the EFI models, is it underneath the intake manifold. You probably would have better luck accessing it from underneath the vehicle, as it is directly in front of the engine. Here is a photo showing where the housing is with the carb removed from some random engine:

Thermostat.jpg