1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Igniter?

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by Borg, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Borg

Borg Member

Hey guys, went to pick up my son from Daycare... truck cranked and fired up instantly as usual... only -15c today.

But after about 5 seconds, it died, no sputter or missing, just like the ignition was turned off.

So after some searching, I think the igniter is bad.

Does anyone know how to check it though?

I find that late 80s Prelude and Civic has the same module, and I'll buy a couple from the auto recyclers if this is my issue.

It's really windy out, and I don't have a garage to work on the truck, so I can't pull the cap off and check for moisture right now, tomorrow is supposed to be way worse too :(

2. shogun

shogun Active Member

3. Borg

Borg Member

No, the ICM. Bolted on the outside of the distributor.

I got a part today for it, I'll try and install it tomorrow. It was a freebie... so no loss if it doesn't work.

How critical is re-installing the distributor at the right mark?

[​IMG]

4. shogun

shogun Active Member

Ahhh, the ignition module outside the distributor and plugs in to side of distributor.
    Have not yet done it on the Acty, but often on my old BMW E32 V12, there it is relatively easy, no way to install it wrong, timing adjustment is done by the Motronic/DME, it only fits as it should be.
    Should be same, 2 bolts hold the distributor and the rotor cannot be assembled wrong, pics http://minitruck.ca/mini-truck-parts/honda-cap-and-rotor-ha1-ha2-ha3-ha4
    Also make sure you do not mix up the ignition wires, but that are only 3, on my BMW there are in total 12 ignition wires for 2 cylinder rows.
    Here is a drawing from a 1983 model, might help http://www.lingshondaparts.com/hond...ock_01=1768001&block_02=E__0500&block_03=7245

5. Borg

Borg Member

The distributor is mechanically adjustable, you can advance/retard the timing by rotating it slightly. I'm guessing maybe 10 degrees adjustment is available.

Hoping only the ICM is done... with my luck it'll be a huge pain in the ass though.

6. shogun

shogun Active Member

found some data:

ignition timing and spark plugs

ignition timing, benchmark:
    MT (4MT,5MT) 4 +/- 2 degree/1000, 4 +/- 2 degree/1150
    AT 4 +/- 2 degree/950

spark plug
    NGK: BKR5E-11, *BKR6E-11, BKR7E-11, *= standard
    ND: K16PR-U11, *K20PR-U11, K22PR-U11, *=standard
    DENSO: K16R-U11, K16PR-U11, Q16PR-U11

electrode gap: 1.0-1.1 mm

Replace spark plug: 48.000 km
    Iridium: replace at 160.000 km (USA Champion #9001)

spark plug torque: 1.5 kg-m

7. Borg

Borg Member

Replaced the ICM, with unknown if working one.. still won't start.

Cleaned the cap and rotor, had some corrosion in it, didn't look bad enough that it would suddenly stop though.

8. Borg

Borg Member

Turned out to be the coil of course.

Truck seems to run a bit better than before it quit.

Oh well, spare ignitor in the gloves box.

Replaced the screws with allen head bolts, don't need to remove the distributor for ignitor replacement.