1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having to change Rotor & Distributor cap way too often

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by kitimat, Feb 25, 2014.

1. kitimat

kitimat New Member

My 91 mits minicab is going through a new distributor cap and rotor way to often, as in every 2-3 months. What could be causing it? The points have a ton of build up each time. The first time the points were heavily pitted and coated in a yellow white build up. The rotor blade looked like part of it was vaporized! I have tried cleaning off the deposits to no avail. Only a new set seems to help. The last time i was having problems i popped off the cap and found a bit of build up, still after a only a month this seems like a lot. Scrapped it off and no start, 5 days later suddenly it starts no problem. Why? Previously the problem has been no starting, turns over but with what almost seems like a small backfire from the carb. This time though when turning over it was barely start, and then it seemed like it was running off only 1 piston, then after a minute suddenly the sound would go and i would have full power. Afraid to take the thing anywhere at this point after the last tow bill... Thoughts?

2. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

Not sure about the Mits. set up but it sounds like maybe defective coil.In the old days,pre electronic ignition,a condenser would cause strange problems sometimes but I'm sure that's not your problem.I would try replacing the coil.

3. Jerry

Jerry New Member

Sometimes in domestic north american vehicles,the alternator diodes would leak current through the distributor,when the vehicles ignition was turned off.Does your battery maintain a charge when left sitting a few days?If it seems to lose charge id check the alternator diodes with a multi meter.

4. kitimat

kitimat New Member

Battery seems to hold a charge quite well actually.

5. Nathan Marshall

Nathan Marshall New Member

I know, bringing back a dead thread, but I may be suffering a similar issue. Every 3 months or so I have been cleaning the contacts in the distributor as they get really coked up. I've gone thru 2 distributor caps and rotors. Being cheap I didn't want to have to replace every time but now I'm having a topend power issue and suspect this. I'm ordering another cap but would be nice to figure out why they are corroding so badly